Windows Fax in XP - Wake up from Hibernation?

February 17, 2005 11:16:01 PM

I am now uising the XP fax program. As antiquated as it is, it still
works. Anyhow, I checked the box off in device manager to allow deivce
to wake computer with my US Robotics v92 faxmodem.

Should this bring the computer ourt of hibernation on an incoming call?
Because it is not when I call my fax line from my desk? Can the
computer be woken out of hibernation? Any thoughts?

jordan
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 4:30:43 AM

Jordan Kovats wrote:
> I am now uising the XP fax program. As antiquated as it is, it still
> works. Anyhow, I checked the box off in device manager to allow
> deivce to wake computer with my US Robotics v92 faxmodem.
>
> Should this bring the computer ourt of hibernation on an incoming
> call? Because it is not when I call my fax line from my desk? Can
> the computer be woken out of hibernation? Any thoughts?
>
> jordan

Do you mean hibernation - or standby? Nothing works when the system is
hibernating as it's off. Hibernation saves the contents of RAM to disk
(hiberfil.sys file) before shutting down and switching the system off. The
fax application cannot send a signal to alert the system to switch on -
there may be a "wake on modem" setting in the BIOS, but this would only tell
the computer to boot, it wouldn't run the fax applet to allow
sending/receipt.
on salads.
!