How do you use these flip phones in the sun?

Last response: in Network Providers
March 23, 2005 9:11:20 AM

Can't read the screen hardly outdoors at all, wassup with that?

J.

More about : flip phones sun

March 23, 2005 10:50:58 AM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 06:11:20 GMT, JXStern <JXSternChangeX2R@gte.net>
wrote:

>Can't read the screen hardly outdoors at all, wassup with that?

That's the price you pay for having a color display. Color displays
wash out in the bright light. Go back to a monochrome display and you
won't have this problem.

March 23, 2005 1:57:23 PM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 07:50:58 -0800, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 06:11:20 GMT, JXStern <JXSternChangeX2R@gte.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Can't read the screen hardly outdoors at all, wassup with that?
>
>That's the price you pay for having a color display. Color displays
>wash out in the bright light. Go back to a monochrome display and you
>won't have this problem.
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

While I do not use it now, my LGVX6000 was very visible in direct
sunlight. Perhaps the same could be said of other LG models?

The Audiovox 9900 I am using now has a superior color screen but is
very difficult to use in daylight.
March 23, 2005 1:57:24 PM

My LG was the first color one I had, had a startac, terrible in the
sunlight even in the car on a vehicle specific mount I have for it that
puts it next to the radio in my jeep.

TeddeLI <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 07:50:58 -0800, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 06:11:20 GMT, JXStern <JXSternChangeX2R@gte.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Can't read the screen hardly outdoors at all, wassup with that?
>>
>>That's the price you pay for having a color display. Color displays
>>wash out in the bright light. Go back to a monochrome display and you
>>won't have this problem.
>>
>>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>
> While I do not use it now, my LGVX6000 was very visible in direct
> sunlight. Perhaps the same could be said of other LG models?
>
> The Audiovox 9900 I am using now has a superior color screen but is
> very difficult to use in daylight.

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 8:05:10 PM

In article <h32241lph85h7an1gmik35aoot737i0q9p@4ax.com>,
JXStern <JXSternChangeX2R@gte.net> wrote:
>Can't read the screen hardly outdoors at all, wassup with that?

AFAIK the top Motorola GSM models have a transflective screen which is
readable in any lighting situation. In dim light they transmit the
backlight illumination, in bright light they reflect the incident light.
Does the V710 feature this too?
March 26, 2005 10:50:24 AM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 06:11:20 GMT, JXStern <JXSternChangeX2R@gte.net> wrote:

>Can't read the screen hardly outdoors at all, wassup with that?
>
>J.

I have a Samsung a670 and the outside display (when phone is folded) is
completely useless in all but a hair thin range of the light spectrum. Actually,
I don`t even think about it anymore, like it isn`t even there.

March 26, 2005 2:41:13 PM

JXStern Wrote:
> Can't read the screen hardly outdoors at all, wassup with that?
> J.

My phone (Kyocera KX-1 Soho -- coming soon to Verizon) has a Powersaver
mode for the color display. I normally use it because most of my
cellphone use is at night. But it is absolutely unreadable in daylight
(much less direct sunlight). I had to jot down the key presses that
would take the phone out of Powersaver mode (OK, down 3, OK, down 4,
OK, down 1, etc.) in order to be able to re-set it in Non-Powersaver
mode in daylight, since I couldn't read the screen menus.

Best phone for sunlight/daylight that I ever had was the Nokia 3585i -
b&w display, readable in ANY light, great RF, etc. Just not very
sexy.

-way

--
waywith
June 10, 2005 3:11:08 AM

I am having problems viewing multiple phones (Nokia,and then two
Motorolas) in the sunlight after moving from a Panasonic Duramax-TX-220
on AT+T to Cingular service. It seems that a lot of companies only
offer color screens and thee lies the problem. Monochrome (single
color) screens offer more contrast ratio to the text area-to-background
and are thus easier to read for outdoor use. Of course, younger,hipper,
non-glass wearing, camera users are not ready for a no-frills monochrome
phone so now they are hard to find. Along these same lines after some
time on the internet and calling many different service providers for
cell service it looks like NEXTEL is the only company that offers an
industial/commercial use cell phone and the only company that features
phones that have met a military specification for use. I have looked
for a good durable, easy to use, easy to see phone and there just are
not many to choose from on the market today......There are all personal
toys that are also cell phones.

--
DCCharley
June 10, 2005 8:01:28 PM

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 23:11:08 -0500, DCCharley wrote:

> I am having problems viewing multiple phones (Nokia,and then two
> Motorolas) in the sunlight after moving from a Panasonic Duramax-TX-220
> on AT+T to Cingular service. It seems that a lot of companies only
> offer color screens and thee lies the problem. Monochrome (single
> color) screens offer more contrast ratio to the text area-to-background
> and are thus easier to read for outdoor use. Of course, younger,hipper,
> non-glass wearing, camera users are not ready for a no-frills monochrome
> phone so now they are hard to find. Along these same lines after some
> time on the internet and calling many different service providers for
> cell service it looks like NEXTEL is the only company that offers an
> industial/commercial use cell phone and the only company that features
> phones that have met a military specification for use. I have looked
> for a good durable, easy to use, easy to see phone and there just are
> not many to choose from on the market today......There are all personal
> toys that are also cell phones.

You're either stuck with Nextel or the v60p or T300p from VZW. The T300p
is as close to a Nextel phone as you will find on VZW.
!