Defrag changes in 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently, the answer for most people is "Don't Bother With That" when you're running 7.

The Full Blog post from MSDN:

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/01/25/disk-defragmentation-background-and-engineering-the-windows-7-improvements.aspx

Among the other changes under the hood in Windows 7 are the following:

Defragmentation in Windows 7 is more comprehensive – many files that could not be re-located in Windows Vista or earlier versions can now be optimally re-placed. In particular, a lot of work was done to make various NTFS metadata files movable. This ability to relocate NTFS metadata files also benefits volume shrink, since it enables the system to pack all files and file system metadata more closely and free up space “at the end” which can be reclaimed if required.
If solid-state media is detected, Windows disables defragmentation on that disk. The physical nature of solid-state media is such that defragmentation is not needed and in fact, could decrease overall media lifetime in certain cases.

By default, defragmentation is disabled on Windows Server 2008 R2 (the Windows 7 server release). Given the variability of server workloads, defragmentation should be enabled and scheduled only by an administrator who understands those workloads.

Best practices for using defragmentation in Windows 7 are simple – you do not need to do anything! Defragmentation is scheduled to automatically run periodically and in the background with minimal impact to foreground activity. This ensures that data on your hard disk drives is efficiently placed so the system can provide optimal responsiveness and I can continue to enjoy glitch free listening to the Eagles :).

Rajeev and Matt

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

Ha! ha! ha!

I see your an Eagles fan.

Nah. I'm a Paul McCartney fan.

SOMEONE'S KNOCKING AT THE DOOR,
SOMEBODY RINGING THE BELL,
SOMEONE'S KNOCKING AT THE DOOR,
SOMEBODY RINGING THE BELL,
DO ME A FAVOUR, OPEN THE DOOR