It is my understanding weatherbug uses port 80. I was wondering if anyone
knows of a way to block weatherbug on our firewall?

Thanks

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:53:31 -0500, Captain Ron spoketh

>It is my understanding weatherbug uses port 80. I was wondering if anyone
>knows of a way to block weatherbug on our firewall?
>
>Thanks

No. Have it removed from the offending computers, and tell them that if
they install it again, they'll be fired for violating company security
policy.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

Captain Ron wrote:

> It is my understanding weatherbug uses port 80. I was wondering if anyone
> knows of a way to block weatherbug on our firewall?

I'm not sure what applications / functions / spyware are currently
bundled in Weatherbug, but if any of them work by accessing static
networks, you can use a sniffer (Ethereal) to identify and then
block those networks in firewall. You'll need a test machine
with unrestricted access to the Internet, on which to install
Weatherbug, so you can sniff its network access traffic.

If Weatherbug uses named domains, you can easily block these in your
local DNS server, by declaring that server as 'master' for those
domains and then pointing those domains to a shared dummy record or
server.

If you do all this BEFORE you trying banning Weatherbug, you'll
likely be more successful, since it's easier to get people to
give up something that doesn't work in the first place.

Really simple and effective removal process,

Go to the station that has the weather bug application, however before you do this make sure you have stopped by your local hardware store and purchase a "Iron Butted" nail hammer with grid gripping on the tool end as you will need this tool to do the following. Once at the station make sure weather bug is up and running at this point you may want to site some passage's from the bible or another type of holy book this is up to you it isnt required to disable the weather bug application. Next place yourself in front of the station with the weather bug application running on it so you can visibly see it on the screen. Take the hammer and make one or two slow passes above the computer to test your angle of deployment. After you are comfortable with the approach, raise the hammer high into the air above your head. Next do a 3 count and then deliver a massive blow with the hammer to the station near the power supply of the computer by swing it in a sudden downward force angle. Some sparking and/or smoking may occur this is normal. Shortly after this is done you should see the monitor flicker from the computer and then go "fade to black" as most tech's refer to it as. You have just removed the computer and weather bug from your network successfully. repeat the process on other workstation computers if needed once finished make sure to store the hammer in a warm dry area to prevent possible corrosion to the metal.

Techmaster J-Dog Rollin hard with no.2 pencils.

Have a pleasant day.

robedan

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
If you have a content filter that can block URLs:

blocking *.weatherbug.com will block the entire site, but that may prompt some angry phone calls.

Block wdownload.weatherbug.com to block users from downloading the app.

Block *.wxbug.com to stop already installed apps from working.

This leaves the site working so they can legitimately check the weather, but keeps the desktop app from working properly.