Printer only putting out lines of random letters/characters

Hello, advance thanks for anyone who attempts to help me. Any time I attempt
to print anything, my printer will put out lines or columns of characters
(letters, numbers, dots, non-keyboard characters), often only one line or a
few characters per page. It continues to do this for many pages, almost
indefinitely (I haven't wanted to waste enough paper to find out exactly how
long it will do this, but I've given up at around 20-30 pages before so it's
more than that). It has been doing this for months now......it will never
just print a normal page.

I have attempted uninstalling and reinstalling the printer several times,
and have even tried installing a different second printer, but nothing
works......so the printer itself must not be the problem. I have
re-installed Windows due to other problems, but this hasn't helped my
printing situation.

Any thoughts or advice would be great. I can't sit on hold at tech support
any longer or I will go insane.

Did the printer ever work properly attached to that computer using your
present operating system?

Was the operating system recently changed? Were any programs added to
the computer? Was any other hardware added such as a scanner?

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

:
: I have attempted uninstalling and reinstalling the printer several
times,
: and have even tried installing a different second printer, but nothing
: works......so the printer itself must not be the problem. I have
: re-installed Windows due to other problems, but this hasn't helped my
: printing situation.
:
: Any thoughts or advice would be great. I can't sit on hold at tech
support
: any longer or I will go insane.

Yes, the printer in question worked perfectly for about 1.5 years with this
system. No hardware was added at the time that the printer stopped working.
Other printers (HP and Epson printers) that I have attached to the system all
have the exact same problem, but all of them work when attached to other
computers.

I updated the drivers when I first attempted to reinstall the printers. I
have checked my computer for viruses, spyware, etc. and it is fine in that
regard.

Luftballoons wrote:
> Hello, advance thanks for anyone who attempts to help me. Any time I
> attempt to print anything, my printer will put out lines or columns
> of characters (letters, numbers, dots, non-keyboard characters),
> often only one line or a few characters per page. It continues to do
> this for many pages, almost indefinitely (I haven't wanted to waste
> enough paper to find out exactly how long it will do this, but I've
> given up at around 20-30 pages before so it's more than that). It
> has been doing this for months now......it will never just print a
> normal page.
>
> I have attempted uninstalling and reinstalling the printer several
> times, and have even tried installing a different second printer, but
> nothing works......so the printer itself must not be the problem.

Sorry, but that's meaningless. Download the latest driver (if such exists,
you don't say what printer you have) and follow the instructions here: -

on salads.

I'm having the same problem when I'm using my Internet Explorer but when I'm
on AOL via the internet, I can print fine. I'd love to know what's going on!