Howto: Overclock VS440FX/w PIIOD??

fwelland

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
Yes I know it is old - but wouldn't mind overclocking it conservatively.

The original system was a Gateway G6-180 Pentium Pro. I have already added a PII Overdrive and switched a mobo jumper such that the CPU reads 333mhz (swithing from 60mhz to 66mhz host freq). But I Wouldn't mind getting some more, if possible. But how? Bios is the 11 release from Gateway.

Any hints, ideas on how to do this. Yes getting a new mobo would be nice, but would like to squeak out some more from this one.

fwelland

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
So How do I do this?

How do I tell if the CPU can 'tolerate' a multiplier change?

As you can tell I am kinda new to the hardware tweaking world. There are some unducumented jumpers. This site, which is mostly about the Providence (related but dual cpu mobo) suggests tinkering with the multiplier too:

http://www.burdell.org/random/stories/pr440fx.shtml

However doesn't really say what to expect in terms of 'improvements' from a Venus board.

So say I can 'move' the multiplyer to 6 - what is the affect (in mhz I quess)? Hey how could you tell I was at 5?

I quess I really can't expect miracles with this mobo/cpu.

Thanks for your help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, can't be done, don't even understand why you would suggest it. The highest official setting on PPro boards was 3x, but Intel boards had a 3.5x setting listed as "reserved". He's already running a locked processor with it's own multipliers (as all Overdrives are).

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your only hope is to use a software for overclocking in windows, such as softFSB, and use it based on your clock generator, a chip you'll have to identify yourself (hint, it's about 1CMx2CM and has a lot of pins).

What's the frequency, Kenneth?