freakasis

Distinguished
May 15, 2002
i have an Athlon XP 1700 that is green (not a 2100)and when i tried unlocking it with a kit i ordered and tomsguide to connecting the L1 briges and i got nothing. i double checked that the material was conductive and it was. i filled the gaps and everything and it still didnt work. i tried it several times and got nothing. does anyone know if there is anything different about the green ones?

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
green ones eh... i heard plp talking about only the xp2100+ are green, but my girlfriend's Xp1.6+ is green as well,i was asking myself " y is it green?" when i was putting the hsf on. but mine, also a Xp1.6+ is a brown colour. i'm not planning 2 overclock my cpu, but it's good 2 know if there's any difference between the 2. freakasis seems wants 2 know badly as well, so sombody? ,,

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
that's very weird, I mean the unlocking process for the XP is always the same, so if you could put some pictures of your CPU in internet to see them perhaps we'll be able to help you.... sorry

freakasis

Distinguished
May 15, 2002
i would upload pics except i dont have a digital camera. but it looks just like the 2100 except the core says 1700 instead.

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Well it's really hard without being there to see what's going on, but my assumption is that you're either not making a good connection, or you're being a little sloppy and the bridges are crossing into each other. In either case you'll have a failed unlock/overclock. The bridges need be connected very carefully. I suggest that after your next attempt you inspect the bridges with a magnifying glass. If you don't have a meter to check the connections, try to get your hands on one of those as well. More than likely you're just missing a bridge connection. They're extremely small and easy to miss or connect two of them together with excess. Also I hope that you're aware that on XP's you need to fill in the laser cut gap before connecting the bridge.

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:

GearJammer2513

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
I think AMD is using a green substrate because it happens to be AMD's official color (green, black, and white).

GearJammer

qlm tera'ngan!
(Translated from Klingon: Attention Earther!)

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
or people complained about the brown?
lol
i dunno...
i would say that green is their color...but then maybe it is cheaper?
intel uses green on the p3s...
i dunno! :eek:
but the core should be the same, and the unlocking should be the same.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

GearJammer2513

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
Could be. I still have a Duron 700 and the color does look a little sh*tty. Oh well, it still overclocked to a 900, so I guess it can't be all that bad.

But, green does look a lot better on the mobo than a brown cpu.

GearJammer

qlm tera'ngan!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, the athlon/duron color for the ceramic package isnt that great. but it works...and you cant really see it anyways...
at least with the heatsink on...lol...
but a black cpu would look even better on my motherboard.
and if i had an MSI, a red one, a red cpu would look even better!
but i doubt that they will do that...hehe....

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
Not yet, but I don't think I'll have to wait too long. I can't help myself...I understand the fundamental fact that my overclocking yeilds minimal real "gains" (especially risking buying new parts!), but I'm like a kid with a pot on the stove: I won't realize the consequences until I get burned...Damn if it isn't fun though.

Life's a hole...dig it. - Joe Dirt

GearJammer2513

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
Yeah, I hear ya! You don't hear too often about a CPU getting killed just by messing with the FSB and Multplier. I think it gets killed either from the effects of ESD (only takes around 80 to 300v to kill a chip. If you feel the shock, it's around 3000v and the ones you can see are at least 10,000v) or not connecting the L1 bridges carefully (having the bridges connected with each other) and when it gets powered up, the electricity gets shunted down the wrong path.

I have to say, I was very fortunate when I unlocked my XP1500+ on the first try. It's now running at 1704MHz which is better than an XP2000+ (1663MHz).

As long as you take your time with the unlocking process (I know THG says it takes around 30min), and use a magnifying glass to check the "neatness" and a multimeter to verify the bridges are closed, then you should have no problem joining the ranks of us OverClockers.

BTW, if you get hooked on the speed and crave more, you can join OA (OverClockers Anonymous) at no charge. :wink:

GearJammer

qlm tera'ngan!

stevecon

Distinguished
May 23, 2002
i have a green 1800 and i unlocked it the normal way and it works fine i am at 1662.5(2000) so i think the colour isn't a factor i think ya just missed something maybe two of them are touching or something

if it ain't broke..... it will be:)

freakasis

Distinguished
May 15, 2002
alright thanx because i was thinking that maybe since it has similar stepping to the 2100 that it was locked up good too. but ok then ill kepp on trying.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have an XP 1600 that is green as well, and it works when I unlocked it by connecting all L1 bridges (the only difference that I connected them by soldering using 42AWG copper wires).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.