Cannot receive faxes with WindowsXP since I installed SP2

Since I have installed MS XP Service Pack 2 I can no longer receive faxes. I
can send them but not receive them. I have checked the firewall settings and
have checked the exception that allows Fax Console to accept outside
connections. Still cannot receive faxes. Anybody have any ideas as to what
is going on here
Jack

Tell us what happens including error messages and entries in Event Viewer.
Tell us what the status of the Fax Service is in Control Panel >
Administrative Tools > Services
Tell us what your reception settings are.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Jackson K McAfee" <mcafeej@digital.net> wrote in message
> Since I have installed MS XP Service Pack 2 I can no longer receive faxes.
> can send them but not receive them. I have checked the firewall settings
> and
> have checked the exception that allows Fax Console to accept outside
> connections. Still cannot receive faxes. Anybody have any ideas as to what
> is going on here
> Jack

When I check the Application Level in Event Manager it simply says that Fax
Service failed to recieve a fax. I see nothing of consequence in Security or
System.
When I look at the Services tab in Admin Tools it shows that Fax is started
and is automatic. Then I looked at the dependencies. Under RPC(Locator) it
shows Startup Type as Manual but is not started. All of the other
dependencies: Plug&Play, Print Spooler, RPC(the other one), and Telephony
are started. Could this be the problem? Does RPC(Locator) need to be started
automatically?

> Tell us what happens including error messages and entries in Event Viewer.
> Tell us what the status of the Fax Service is in Control Panel >
> Administrative Tools > Services
> Tell us what your reception settings are.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Jackson K McAfee" <mcafeej@digital.net> wrote in message
>> Since I have installed MS XP Service Pack 2 I can no longer receive
>> faxes. I
>> can send them but not receive them. I have checked the firewall settings
>> and
>> have checked the exception that allows Fax Console to accept outside
>> connections. Still cannot receive faxes. Anybody have any ideas as to
>> what
>> is going on here
>> Jack

No, those settings all look correct.
Does the fax monitor tell you anything during a reception attempt?
Have you tried resetting your automatic reception settings?
Is your Fax Printer status (in the Fax Console > Tools) "Online?"
Have you tried turning off the Firewall briefly during a reception attempt
to see if that make a difference?
--
> When I check the Application Level in Event Manager it simply says that
> Fax Service failed to recieve a fax. I see nothing of consequence in
> Security or System.
> When I look at the Services tab in Admin Tools it shows that Fax is
> started and is automatic. Then I looked at the dependencies. Under
> RPC(Locator) it shows Startup Type as Manual but is not started. All of
> the other dependencies: Plug&Play, Print Spooler, RPC(the other one), and
> Telephony are started. Could this be the problem? Does RPC(Locator) need
> to be started automatically?
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Tell us what happens including error messages and entries in Event
>> Viewer.
>> Tell us what the status of the Fax Service is in Control Panel >
>> Administrative Tools > Services
>> Tell us what your reception settings are.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Jackson K McAfee" <mcafeej@digital.net> wrote in message
>>> Since I have installed MS XP Service Pack 2 I can no longer receive
>>> faxes. I
>>> can send them but not receive them. I have checked the firewall settings
>>> and
>>> have checked the exception that allows Fax Console to accept outside
>>> connections. Still cannot receive faxes. Anybody have any ideas as to
>>> what
>>> is going on here
>>> Jack

I have this problem too. I uninastall FAX and now I don´t reinstall it.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> No, those settings all look correct.
> Does the fax monitor tell you anything during a reception attempt?
> Have you tried resetting your automatic reception settings?
> Is your Fax Printer status (in the Fax Console > Tools) "Online?"
> Have you tried turning off the Firewall briefly during a reception attempt
> to see if that make a difference?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Jackson K McAfee" <mcafeej@digital.net> wrote in message
> > When I check the Application Level in Event Manager it simply says that
> > Fax Service failed to recieve a fax. I see nothing of consequence in
> > Security or System.
> > When I look at the Services tab in Admin Tools it shows that Fax is
> > started and is automatic. Then I looked at the dependencies. Under
> > RPC(Locator) it shows Startup Type as Manual but is not started. All of
> > the other dependencies: Plug&Play, Print Spooler, RPC(the other one), and
> > Telephony are started. Could this be the problem? Does RPC(Locator) need
> > to be started automatically?
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Tell us what happens including error messages and entries in Event
> >> Viewer.
> >> Tell us what the status of the Fax Service is in Control Panel >
> >> Administrative Tools > Services
> >> Tell us what your reception settings are.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Jackson K McAfee" <mcafeej@digital.net> wrote in message

I have this same problem. When it happens, I delete the fax printer and
reinstall it. It works once or twice and then quits answering again. And
since caller ID doesn't always show a number, I have no idea who the fax is
from and find out days later that someone sent me an important fax that I
didn't received.

HELP DESPERATELY NEEDED.

"Michal Franc" wrote:

> I have this problem too. I uninastall FAX and now I don´t reinstall it.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
> > No, those settings all look correct.
> > Does the fax monitor tell you anything during a reception attempt?
> > Have you tried resetting your automatic reception settings?
> > Is your Fax Printer status (in the Fax Console > Tools) "Online?"
> > Have you tried turning off the Firewall briefly during a reception attempt
> > to see if that make a difference?
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "Jackson K McAfee" <mcafeej@digital.net> wrote in message
> > > When I check the Application Level in Event Manager it simply says that
> > > Fax Service failed to recieve a fax. I see nothing of consequence in
> > > Security or System.
> > > When I look at the Services tab in Admin Tools it shows that Fax is
> > > started and is automatic. Then I looked at the dependencies. Under
> > > RPC(Locator) it shows Startup Type as Manual but is not started. All of
> > > the other dependencies: Plug&Play, Print Spooler, RPC(the other one), and
> > > Telephony are started. Could this be the problem? Does RPC(Locator) need
> > > to be started automatically?
> > >
> > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message

Provide the precise steps that will reproduce this problem.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]