Low FPS in Crysis with EVGA GTX 670 FTW

frozen aces

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
I've seen many benchmark reviews getting at least 50-60 frames in crysis maxed graphics on average. However, when I'm outside in the forest, it seems to drop to about 25 frames. I have evga precision x running as well as several other monitoring programs such as CPU temp, GPU temp, and fraps.

Here are my specs:
processor-Intel i5 3570k @ 3.4Ghz 3.8Ghz
gpu-EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GBram
mobo-Gigabyte GA-Z77x UD5H
RAM-8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600
I've got a 240GB SSD OCZ AGILITY 3 and a Western Digital 7200rpm HDD
PSU-Corsair 750x Modular Silver Certified

It seems that turning on motion blur to the max will bring me 35-43 fps outside, and 25 frames is with the motion blur on medium. Maybe if v-sync were turned off it would give me better frames?

Also, hardly anything about the card has been touched, other than a few 3D settings in Nvidia control panel, which are the single display mode and the power management to prefer maxium performance mode. Other than that, GPU is still pretty much at stock. I can get up to 1177Mhz which is way past the boost clock, yet the game still feels choppy. Temperatures are nice and cool, and very stabilized. Any help would be nice.

Edit: I tested Skyrim and it runs a 58-60 fps without any drops or stutters for prolonged periods of time on absolute maxed settings. Could it be a problem with Crysis itself?
Also, I have run Unengine Heaven DX11 Benchmark 3.0 cranked up all the way and I am getting a minimum of 28 frames, usually higher in most places. Is this a good fps?

Solution
Turn off Vsync. Crysis has an annoying tendency to lock your framerate to 25FPS if your system can't achieve at least 50FPS in a given area. Given how badly optimized Crysis is, you aren't going to get solid 50 to 60 FPS everywhere, even with a GTX 670, hence the framerate drop to 25FPS with Vsync on.

If you really want Vsync in that game, try forcing it with Direct3DOverrider, that should offer Vsync without dropping your framerate to 25FPS.
Turn off Vsync. Crysis has an annoying tendency to lock your framerate to 25FPS if your system can't achieve at least 50FPS in a given area. Given how badly optimized Crysis is, you aren't going to get solid 50 to 60 FPS everywhere, even with a GTX 670, hence the framerate drop to 25FPS with Vsync on.

If you really want Vsync in that game, try forcing it with Direct3DOverrider, that should offer Vsync without dropping your framerate to 25FPS.

Solution

frozen aces

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
V-sync did it. But I'd expect a high end card like a gtx 670 ftw to never go down to around 34 frames and be choppy. I paid $400 and I'm quite below benchmarks, around 10 fps at least. Is Crysis very CPU intensive?

NVIDIA Y U NO SELL CARD THAT CAN RUN 5YR OLD GAME!?

It is certainly possible that you are hitting a CPU bottleneck. Crysis can only use two cores. You can try overclocking your CPU and see if that helps your performance. You can also use MSI Afterburner to monitor your GPU usage while playing. If GPU usage is below 100% when you are getting 34FPS, then you definitely have a CPU bottleneck.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

This is the result of seeing Benchmarking tests and thinking that they reflect all instances of actual gameplay (they don't).

frozen aces

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

Damn. Is there anything else I can do about the bottleneck?

Crysis isn't programmed to use more than 2 cores. If you are hitting a CPU bottleneck, all you can do is buy an aftermarket cooler if you don't have one and try overclocking your CPU. I think a lot of the Ivy Bridge CPUs top out at around 4.2-4.3 GHz unless you have a really high end CPU cooler, as the Ivy CPUs run hotter than their predecessors.

he shouldnt have any issues with bottlenecks that cpu is pretty strong on single and dual threaded performance the problem lies with the game itself. he could bump the cpu to 5 ghz and wouldn't see any real improvement in crysis. the fact is its badly programmed for dx10 at the time it was seen as a great leap forward but as hardware has caught up and passed it the game has been found to gimp new dx11 cards.
regardless your likely ot get a mixed minimum of 40-50 fps but a high thats not much over 60 on a high end dx11 card when the card should be banging out 100+minimum... my 5870 will max the game with x4aa and give 28fps minimum on the beach. in the caves its likely to drop to 20. yet if i play bf3 on mixed ultra i will get a minimum of 30 fps bf3 has much better and more demanding lighting than crysis uses a higher polly count so should in reality perfom worse. but crysis is is optimized for dx10 maximum so when it uses dx11 hardware it stumbles with an end result of lower performance.

put it this way on a gtx 280 and you will be able to max out crysis with a minimum of 45 fps yet its less than half the overall power of a gtx 670. but the 670 will bearly get any better fps wise. its not the systems fault is the cryengine.

all i can say is if your getting 45-50 fps maxed out its about as good as it will get... check the gpu perfomance your likely to be no higher than 75% usage and then maybe bump the cpu and again you will see no increase...
this problem was first seen when crysis came out and they run it on sli's 280's they thought it was a driver issue but it turned out it wasnt. the game just wouldnt do more than 50 fps regardless of the power fo the cards running it.
the 1 good this though is that yopu can bump the aa up to 8 and it wont have much effect on the fps

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

That's really helpful...So basically you can have a kick ass system but if you're playing older games that were built off of DX10 you may not see an FPS above 60? That would explain some FPS results I've gotten when playing games like Half-Life 2 episode1/2 and Amnesia. The times I have run FRAPS I don't recall it ever going above 60fps. I can run the games on max setting happily though.

frozen aces

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

Sorry for the late reply, but it could possibly be v-sync. I turned mine off in crysis bumped up my fps by 10-20. V-sync (if you didn't know) matches framerate with your monitor's refresh rate (which is commonly 60). Turning that off may get you lower framerate if you go below 60, but it won't limit your frames to 60 if you go above that. Vsync is there to prevent image tearing, just so ya know :)

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

Gotcha...Yeah I think I normally have V-sync turned on because I don't like image tearing. My monitor has a refresh of 75hz. Thanks.

frozen aces

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

If its 75hz and you're locked at 60 then its probably the game. Unless you have your refresh rate set at 60Hz or V-Sync actually was the problem 0.O

I know I'm a little late, but you should be getting much better FPS than that, unless you are using high levels of AA too. I'm assuming 1080p resolution, since you failed to mention that bit of critical info. Use no more than 4x AA and it should give you much better FPS.

I also find it a little wrong to consider Crysis horribly optimized, considering that even today, it is still one of the best looking games made and it was done without a lot of the newest hardware and software advances.