Sign in with
Your question

Computer wont run fallout 3

Last response: in Video Games
August 26, 2012 8:31:43 AM

I bought Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition for my Windows 7. The case says the minimum requirement for the game is Windows XP or Vista. I was able to install the game, but when I try to start the campaign, the game locks up at the same spot everytime and freezes my computer. Do you have any idea to what might be happening, and what can I do to fix it?
August 26, 2012 8:34:24 AM

Can you post your system specs, that would help.

Fallout 3 does not like quad core CPUs or CPUs with 4 threads. So if you have a Core i3/i5/i7, or any quad/hex/octo core AMD CPU, you may run into problems.

You can try to work around these issues by modifying the Fallout.ini file which is stored in MyGames\Fallout 3

Look for the following lines and change them to the indicated values.
iNumHWThreads=2
bUseThreadedAI=1

Save the file when that is done. That might help with your freezing issues.
m
l
August 26, 2012 8:43:04 AM

yes im using i5-2400 CPU@3.10Ghz with 64-bit operating system
4.00 Gb RAM, how do i modify the file your saying?
im not really good in computers
m
l
Related resources
August 26, 2012 8:45:48 AM

Open the Fallout.ini file with Notepad, you should be able to find it in your user folder under My Games\Fallout 3. You can use Windows search to find it as well. The two lines I specified are somewhere in the text, you'll have to find them and change the values to the ones I indicated.

Another thought: Does your computer have a graphics card, or is it using integrated graphics? Fallout 3 does not support integrated graphics out of the box, you need to download a third party mod for it to work. You can download a program called GPU-Z and run it to check what graphics device you have. If it says Intel HD 2000, then you have integrated graphics, and you will have to download a third party mod to get the game to work properly. If that is the case, don't expect good performance though, the Intel integrated graphics are not suited for gaming.
m
l
August 26, 2012 9:12:28 AM

i only saw this bUseThreadedAI but the other one i could not find. im using intel(r) HD graphics family, what mod should i download?
m
l
August 26, 2012 9:21:46 AM

You don't have to modify anything or grab some mod. What you need is a dedicated videocard. Fallout 3 will run fine on your Corei5 2400 but without a videocard you will definitely have a problem. Try atleast a GTS450 if you are on a budget
m
l
August 26, 2012 5:08:36 PM

A video card will definitely help, but the game shouldn't be freezing in the first place. Running like a slideshow, maybe, but not freezing.

You may have to just add the line iNumHWThreads=2 to the Fallout.ini file. As for the mod, click here and download the dll file and put it into your Fallout 3 game folder.

All that said, I would recommend getting a video card. The Intel HD 2000 integrated graphics will only just barely run the game adequately at the lowest possible settings. If you do choose to get a video card, you will have to check to make sure your power supply can deliver enough power for a video card. I assume this is a prebuilt system, most of those do not have a power supply that is sufficient to power most gaming capable video cards.
m
l
!