cannot install printer

I recently purchased a Canon 5550 printer/scanner/copier. I cannot get
it to print, and yes, I have followed the instruction not to plug in
the USB cable until the software (supposedly) is installed. I insert
the Canon cd, go through the installation until it says it is finished
and tells me to plug in the cable. Nothing happens. When I look at
the control panel, I have NO printer installed. When I try to "add a
printer" (even though the printer was supposed to install
automatically) I get a message that the software cannot be found.

I spent an hour on the phone with Canon customer support, and they ran
out of ideas. Any ideas out there?

Please help me I am going crazy

--
msbutch
1 answer Last reply

    Are the USB ports KNOWN to be working correctly with other devices?
    www.coribright.com

    "msbutch" <msbutch.1kxjqe@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > I recently purchased a Canon 5550 printer/scanner/copier. I cannot get
    > it to print, and yes, I have followed the instruction not to plug in
    > the USB cable until the software (supposedly) is installed. I insert
    > the Canon cd, go through the installation until it says it is finished
    > and tells me to plug in the cable. Nothing happens. When I look at
    > the control panel, I have NO printer installed. When I try to "add a
    > printer" (even though the printer was supposed to install
    > automatically) I get a message that the software cannot be found.
    >
    > I spent an hour on the phone with Canon customer support, and they ran
    > out of ideas. Any ideas out there?
    >
    > Please help me I am going crazy
    >

    > --
    > msbutch