cannot setup fax

February 23, 2005 11:46:59 PM

I've read the archives on this issue...

I have full, licensed version of Windows XP pro -- i never setup the fax
service initially, but now need to use it. I have SP2 installed.

When i go to install the fax services it starts the wizard then trys to
locate the various fxsXXXXX.dl_ files (or .dll) -- i insert my original
media and locate the file (yes, i understand that the .dl_ is a compressed
file -- i even expanded it and no workie), i extracted the SP2 files and
pointed it to that.

it just keeps saying "Setup cannot copy the file XXXXXXX"

what gives?

-th

More about : setup fax

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:10:19 PM

Same problem here.. Any luck?

Rob

"Tim Heuer" <tim@nospam.timheuer.com> wrote in message
> I've read the archives on this issue...
>
> I have full, licensed version of Windows XP pro -- i never setup the fax
> service initially, but now need to use it. I have SP2 installed.
>
> When i go to install the fax services it starts the wizard then trys to
> locate the various fxsXXXXX.dl_ files (or .dll) -- i insert my original
> media and locate the file (yes, i understand that the .dl_ is a compressed
> file -- i even expanded it and no workie), i extracted the SP2 files and
> pointed it to that.
>
> it just keeps saying "Setup cannot copy the file XXXXXXX"
>
> what gives?
>
> -th

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 7:56:10 PM

We don't know
We were rather hoping Microsoft would address this eventually.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Rob McShinsky" <List@mcshinsky.com> wrote in message
news:o TELhMAIFHA.1580@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Same problem here.. Any luck?
>
> Rob
>

> "Tim Heuer" <tim@nospam.timheuer.com> wrote in message
>> I've read the archives on this issue...
>>
>> I have full, licensed version of Windows XP pro -- i never setup the fax
>> service initially, but now need to use it. I have SP2 installed.
>>
>> When i go to install the fax services it starts the wizard then trys to
>> locate the various fxsXXXXX.dl_ files (or .dll) -- i insert my original
>> media and locate the file (yes, i understand that the .dl_ is a
>> compressed file -- i even expanded it and no workie), i extracted the SP2
>> files and pointed it to that.
>>
>> it just keeps saying "Setup cannot copy the file XXXXXXX"
>>
>> what gives?
>>
>> -th

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 6:12:13 PM

> > "Tim Heuer" <tim@nospam.timheuer.com> wrote in message
> >> I've read the archives on this issue...
> >>
> >> I have full, licensed version of Windows XP pro -- i never setup
the fax
> >> service initially, but now need to use it. I have SP2 installed.
> >>
> >> When i go to install the fax services it starts the wizard then
trys to
> >> locate the various fxsXXXXX.dl_ files (or .dll) -- i insert my
original
> >> media and locate the file (yes, i understand that the .dl_ is a
> >> compressed file -- i even expanded it and no workie), i extracted
the SP2
> >> files and pointed it to that.
> >>
> >> it just keeps saying "Setup cannot copy the file XXXXXXX"
> >>
> >> what gives?
> >>
> >> -th
> >>
> Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> We don't know
> We were rather hoping Microsoft would address this eventually.
> --
<top posting corrected>

Bad news Tim, hours spent on this with no result. I have a working SP1
with fax but sp2 will not budge, even when bridged to the working sp1
dlls.

Realistically speaking, it is less expensive for you (us) to buy a real
fax/printer and use that, rather than mess about interminably with a
maddening operating system. It annoys me greatly that some businesses
demand faxes, when with a bit of cunning, you can Photoshop anything
you want. They're obsolete.

Having said that, it is scandalous to pay good money for software which
does not work.

Peter
!