Fax device error

homer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My fax service doesn't work, every time it tries to send a fax I'm getting
"Fax Device Error" and in Extended status it says, "Line unavailable".
My modem works properly, diagnostics passes and it calls out normally
through hyperterminal, but fax doesn't work.
I have reinstalled the fax service, and stopped and started it number of
times
I'm having external US Robotics Spotster modem and WinXP SP2.

It worked on my old computer what also had WinXP SP2 but is not working on
new one.
I'm using Asus P4P800E-Deluxe MB.
Please help
Thanks

Does this modem support class 1 or 2 fax and is it on the Windows XP HCL
list?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Homer" <no@email.pls> wrote in message
> My fax service doesn't work, every time it tries to send a fax I'm getting
> "Fax Device Error" and in Extended status it says, "Line unavailable".
> My modem works properly, diagnostics passes and it calls out normally
> through hyperterminal, but fax doesn't work.
> I have reinstalled the fax service, and stopped and started it number of
> times
> I'm having external US Robotics Spotster modem and WinXP SP2.
>
> It worked on my old computer what also had WinXP SP2 but is not working on
> new one.
> I'm using Asus P4P800E-Deluxe MB.
> Please help
> Thanks

homer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

No, it is not on HCL list, this modem is from 1996.

I'm just wondering why fax did work with my old computer which also was
WinXP sp2, but is not working with new one.
Old one had Intel D815EEA2 motherboard.
Or maybe there is some new updates in WinXP what make the modem now
incompatible?

> Does this modem support class 1 or 2 fax and is it on the Windows XP HCL
> list?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Homer" <no@email.pls> wrote in message
>> My fax service doesn't work, every time it tries to send a fax I'm
>> getting "Fax Device Error" and in Extended status it says, "Line
>> unavailable".
>> My modem works properly, diagnostics passes and it calls out normally
>> through hyperterminal, but fax doesn't work.
>> I have reinstalled the fax service, and stopped and started it number of
>> times
>> I'm having external US Robotics Spotster modem and WinXP SP2.
>>
>> It worked on my old computer what also had WinXP SP2 but is not working
>> on new one.
>> I'm using Asus P4P800E-Deluxe MB.
>> Please help
>> Thanks

The number of modems that are incompatible with Windows XP Fax is legion.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Homer" <no@email> wrote in message
> No, it is not on HCL list, this modem is from 1996.
>
> I'm just wondering why fax did work with my old computer which also was
> WinXP sp2, but is not working with new one.
> Old one had Intel D815EEA2 motherboard.
> Or maybe there is some new updates in WinXP what make the modem now
> incompatible?
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Does this modem support class 1 or 2 fax and is it on the Windows XP HCL
>> list?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Homer" <no@email.pls> wrote in message
>>> My fax service doesn't work, every time it tries to send a fax I'm
>>> getting "Fax Device Error" and in Extended status it says, "Line
>>> unavailable".
>>> My modem works properly, diagnostics passes and it calls out normally
>>> through hyperterminal, but fax doesn't work.
>>> I have reinstalled the fax service, and stopped and started it number of
>>> times
>>> I'm having external US Robotics Spotster modem and WinXP SP2.
>>>
>>> It worked on my old computer what also had WinXP SP2 but is not working
>>> on new one.
>>> I'm using Asus P4P800E-Deluxe MB.
>>> Please help
>>> Thanks

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

The number may be Legion, however this USR modem has long been considered to
be a "Standard"
Omission is utterly stupid. Having said that, let me also add that the
modem command handler used by MS has been buggy for a long time. The command
& reply parser can have problems recognizing reply strings from the modem,
usualy when random characters proceed the command or reply string.

As to why and what is going on, the modem log is the most likely place to
see the problems, and perhaps identify a possible solution.

> The number of modems that are incompatible with Windows XP Fax is legion.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Homer" <no@email> wrote in message
>> No, it is not on HCL list, this modem is from 1996.
>>
>> I'm just wondering why fax did work with my old computer which also was
>> WinXP sp2, but is not working with new one.
>> Old one had Intel D815EEA2 motherboard.
>> Or maybe there is some new updates in WinXP what make the modem now
>> incompatible?
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Does this modem support class 1 or 2 fax and is it on the Windows XP HCL
>>> list?
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "Homer" <no@email.pls> wrote in message

It would seem so, but unfortunately I've rarely seen any help in the modem
log. These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so
requires enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of
which require fairly extensive registry changes.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]