Blocked Installation Programs

I have 3 programs I have been trying to install. All worked fine when
I only had XP firewall active. For greater security I disable the
built in firewall and installed ZAPro along with Norton Antivirus.
Now none of these programs will work. Disc show as blank. Have tried
several options including completely shutting down both of these new
programs, leaving my system totally exposed. But nothing seems to
work. Is there anyone out there who might be able to help or have any
suggestions. First time using the group.
2 answers Last reply
More about blocked installation programs

    open ZA Pro, check Program control ...see if any of the programs are
    listed/blocked or denied access in either programs are components. Then use
    help function to find out how to resolve the problem.
    "AJ" <ajd4wdc@indy.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I have 3 programs I have been trying to install. All worked fine when
    > I only had XP firewall active. For greater security I disable the
    > built in firewall and installed ZAPro along with Norton Antivirus.
    > Now none of these programs will work. Disc show as blank. Have tried
    > several options including completely shutting down both of these new
    > programs, leaving my system totally exposed. But nothing seems to
    > work. Is there anyone out there who might be able to help or have any
    > suggestions. First time using the group.

    ---

    ajd4wdc@indy.rr.com (AJ) wrote in

    > I have 3 programs I have been trying to install. All worked fine when
    > I only had XP firewall active. For greater security I disable the
    > built in firewall and installed ZAPro along with Norton Antivirus.

    Well, ICF on XP was doing its job which is to protect the machine on
    inbound threats.

    > Now none of these programs will work. Disc show as blank. Have tried
    > several options including completely shutting down both of these new
    > programs, leaving my system totally exposed.

    Do you mean you shutdown ZA on the machine while connected to the
    Internet?

    If you did that, then that may have been a bad thing to do, since it
    doesn't take but a micro second for a machine to be compromised.

    > But nothing seems to work. Is there anyone out there who might be able
    > to help or have any suggestions. First time using the group.

    As you can see, application control in a personal FW solution can lead to
    other issues if not understood. And at times, it is overrated.

    You may want to get a NAT router that cost as much as ZA and put it in
    front of the machine to protect it. That way, you can turn ZA off in
    order to accomplish something and still be protected.

    Or you may want to implement IPsec to supplement ZA if you need to drop
    ZA to do something. I leave IPsec running behind the NAT router and the
    personal FW on the machines.

    http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_traffic_with_ipsec.htm

    All you have to do is implement the AnalogX Secpol file and you're
    covered.

    You talk of greater security, then go to the XP O/S and configure the
    security. If the O/S is not secure, then nothing is secure. :)

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

    XP's SP2 FW will have application control when it is released.

    Duane :)

Firewalls Security Networking