Screwless plastic fan mount thingies . . .

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
When I bought my new case, it came with two fans premounted on the side panel and in the top panel. They were mounted with these plastic fan mount thingies. They come in two pieces: one looks like a rounded off tack, and the other is the receptacle which is narrowed on the far end and sectioned into four "fingers". You partially insert the tack into the receptacle and then insert the duo into the screwhole on the case with the fan waiting on the other side. As the fingers clear the far end of the screwhole on the fan frame, you push the tack all the way in and it forces the finger to flare out. This prevents the fan from falling off or being pulled off fromm the inside until the tip of the tack piece is pushed back, which causes the fingers to relax.

So, why all this info? Am I becoming the forum PBS?

No.

I am looking for some more of these screwless plastic fan mount thingies, bigger and longer, to use to attach my new 120mm Panaflo to the front of my case. I am going to attach a mesh filter to it, and I don't want to have to keep screwing and unscrewing the fan everytime I need to clean it.

So, does anybody know what these screwless plastic fan mount thingies are called, so I can search for them? Or, better yet, know where to get them? Or know of a decent alternative that will accomplish the same task? <i>(Please, no "duct tape" suggestions.)</i>

I would use the ones I already have, but they are too short for the thicker frame of the 120.

Thanks in advance.

VSP

<i>Upon the occasion in which the defecation comes into contact with the oscillating ventilator.</i>

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
It's Enermax. You know what? I hadn't thought of that. They do have a new US subsidiary, I found it to a link off of NewEgg.com. I will try calling them, 'cuz it's local.

VSP

<i>Upon the occasion in which the defecation comes into contact with the oscillating ventilator.</i>

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Ah, here they are . . . <A HREF="http://www.maxpoint.com/" target="_new">MaxPoint Computers, Inc.</A>, a division of ENERMAX Technology Corporation.

No dice.

It was a little difficult getting past the language barrier, but once I got the associate to understand what I was asking for, he told me that I should look at a hardware store. Hmmmm . . . not too sure about that, but I was already contemplating going to Fry's and checking on it there. I will have to usurp one from the rear fans and try tomorrow, I guess.

I still want to know what the heck this thing is called. They are pretty ingenious, and a hella lot easier to install than the screws. Don't know how there are with sound, but they seem snug enough to not allow too much vibration.

I will let y'all know what I find.

Thanks for the obvious suggestion, <b>Bum</b> . . . wish I'da thought of that myself.

VSP

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I think it is scary how much we all look to hard for an obvious answer or overlook the simple questions that we need to ask ourselves.

Bum is was/is my highschool nickname. My buddies still will call me that 9 years after HS.

<b>"Sometimes you can't hear me because I'm talking in parenthesis" - Steven Wright</b> :lol:

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Try big hardware stores/chains, I always find thingies there for a lot less than what computer stores ask for.

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking. hmm still silence</font color=red>