What is 1x?

I have a LG 6100 and it shows the icon "1x" all the time. How is this
different from digital "D"?

Thanks!
Thor
9 answers Last reply
More about what

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:41:50 -0800, "Thor" <i t h o r k @ y a h o o o
    o o o . c o m> wrote:

    >I have a LG 6100 and it shows the icon "1x" all the time. How is this
    >different from digital "D"?

    1X is for data. It has nothing to do with the voice side of the phone.

    (I believe, and I know I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, is that 1X is
    around the speed of a 14.4K modem)

    Dave

    Diamond Dave wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:41:50 -0800, "Thor" <i t h o r k @
    > y a h o o o o o o . c o m> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a LG 6100 and it shows the icon "1x" all the
    >> time. How is this different from digital "D"?
    >>

    > 1X is for data. It has nothing to do with the voice side
    > of the phone.
    >
    > (I believe, and I know I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, is
    > that 1X is around the speed of a 14.4K modem)

    wrong... and wrong.

    sorry,
    -Quick

    Quick wrote:
    > Diamond Dave wrote:
    >> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:41:50 -0800, "Thor" <i t h o r k @
    >> y a h o o o o o o . c o m> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a LG 6100 and it shows the icon "1x" all the
    >>> time. How is this different from digital "D"?
    >>>

    >> 1X is for data. It has nothing to do with the voice side
    >> of the phone.
    >>
    >> (I believe, and I know I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, is
    >> that 1X is around the speed of a 14.4K modem)
    >
    > wrong... and wrong.

    I should have expanded on that a bit. 1X is used for
    voice and allows for greater density. 1X for data can
    go up to 180K? Most get 80 ~ 140 using their phone
    as a modem?

    -Quick

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:35:32 -0800, "Quick"
    <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    >I should have expanded on that a bit. 1X is used for
    >voice and allows for greater density. 1X for data can
    >go up to 180K? Most get 80 ~ 140 using their phone
    >as a modem?

    OK, I stand corrected. I thought those were the rates with EV-DO, or
    are they even higher?

    (also, when you say 80 to 140K with up to 180K, is this "k" or "K" -
    which of course the "k" is a factor of 10 higher than "K")

    However, I always thought that 1X had nothing to do with voice, just
    data. (my voice calls sound the same with my phone that displays 1X).
    What do you mean by "greater density". Does that mean cramming more
    voice calls in the same bandwidth?

    Dave

    Diamond Dave wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:35:32 -0800, "Quick"
    > <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>I should have expanded on that a bit. 1X is used for
    >>voice and allows for greater density. 1X for data can
    >>go up to 180K? Most get 80 ~ 140 using their phone
    >>as a modem?
    >

    > OK, I stand corrected. I thought those were the rates with EV-DO, or
    > are they even higher?

    1x is up to 115. I've heard of people getting 300-500 with EV-DO.

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

    "Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:tbr641h5shbhc8bq7fggd2c7d06b3lb7vi@4ax.com...

    > However, I always thought that 1X had nothing to do with voice, just
    > data. (my voice calls sound the same with my phone that displays 1X).
    >
    > Dave

    Actually, "1x" denotes 1 unit of bandwidth as defined by IS-95 CDMA.
    That isn't necessarily tied to either voice or data alone.

    In the future, we should see "3x", using three times the IS-95 bandwidth.
    However, "3x" will use three adjacent "1x" slices of spectrum, so as to
    remain backward compatible with "1x" systems of today.
    (Note: 3x fits well within even the very smallest licensed PCS allocations.)

    WCDMA, not having anything to be compatible with, will use one single,
    large slice instead of three simultaneous smaller slices of spectrum.
    WCDMA will be incompatible with 3x, too.

    Diamond Dave wrote:
    > (also, when you say 80 to 140K with up to 180K, is this "k" or "K" -
    > which of course the "k" is a factor of 10 higher than "K")
    >
    > However, I always thought that 1X had nothing to do with voice, just
    > data. (my voice calls sound the same with my phone that displays 1X).
    > What do you mean by "greater density". Does that mean cramming more
    > voice calls in the same bandwidth?

    It's Kbs (kilo-bits/sec).

    1xRTT is a CDMA protocol in the CDMA-2000 family, which includes
    1xEV-DO, 1xEV-DV, and 3x. CDMA-2000 is compatible with the first
    generation IS-95 CDMA protocol. The 1x refers to the using the same
    carrier bandwidth of 1.25MHz as IS-95, with 3x using three such carriers
    glued together. On the voice side, 1xRTT allows more calls to exist in a
    given cell than does IS-95, mostly due to more sophisticated algorithms,
    better transmit power control, and fancier chipsets, rather than just
    chopping the bandwidth for a given call. Standby time is increased
    significantly on 1xRTT. On the data side, 1xRTT has the 80-140Kbs speed
    that others have mentioned. 1xEV-DO, where "DO" means "Data Only", puts
    the higher speed data on carriers separate from voice. 1xEV-DV puts the
    voice and data back on the same carrier. But there seems to be some talk
    of carrying the voice traffic as IP on 1xEV-DO (VO-IP), rather than
    developing 1xEV-DV.

    Do phones that support 1xRTT (I have an LG 6100) also support EV/DO? I'm in
    Las Vegas and have heard that EVDO is now available here.

    Thanks,
    Thor

    "CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
    > Diamond Dave wrote:
    >> (also, when you say 80 to 140K with up to 180K, is this "k" or "K" -
    >> which of course the "k" is a factor of 10 higher than "K")
    >>
    >> However, I always thought that 1X had nothing to do with voice, just
    >> data. (my voice calls sound the same with my phone that displays 1X).
    >> What do you mean by "greater density". Does that mean cramming more
    >> voice calls in the same bandwidth?
    >
    > It's Kbs (kilo-bits/sec).
    >
    > 1xRTT is a CDMA protocol in the CDMA-2000 family, which includes 1xEV-DO,
    > 1xEV-DV, and 3x. CDMA-2000 is compatible with the first generation IS-95
    > CDMA protocol. The 1x refers to the using the same carrier bandwidth of
    > 1.25MHz as IS-95, with 3x using three such carriers glued together. On the
    > voice side, 1xRTT allows more calls to exist in a given cell than does
    > IS-95, mostly due to more sophisticated algorithms, better transmit power
    > control, and fancier chipsets, rather than just chopping the bandwidth for
    > a given call. Standby time is increased significantly on 1xRTT. On the
    > data side, 1xRTT has the 80-140Kbs speed that others have mentioned.
    > 1xEV-DO, where "DO" means "Data Only", puts the higher speed data on
    > carriers separate from voice. 1xEV-DV puts the voice and data back on the
    > same carrier. But there seems to be some talk of carrying the voice
    > traffic as IP on 1xEV-DO (VO-IP), rather than developing 1xEV-DV.

    Nope. Two seperate things... At last count there were only two phones that
    supported EVDO. I have heard (don't know how accurate it is, may have just
    been a special thing) that some verizon stores will swap a 1x phone for a
    evdo phone in evdo areas. I'm in vegas too, and they did the swap when the
    new handsets came out about 1 1/2 months ago that supported evdo (not new,
    but used for used for demo/test) .. Can't hurt to call and ask em...

    Thor wrote:
    > Do phones that support 1xRTT (I have an LG 6100) also support EV/DO? I'm
    > in Las Vegas and have heard that EVDO is now available here.
    >
    > > Thanks,
    > Thor
    >

    > "CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Diamond Dave wrote:
    >>> (also, when you say 80 to 140K with up to 180K, is this "k" or "K" -
    >>> which of course the "k" is a factor of 10 higher than "K")
    >>>
    >>> However, I always thought that 1X had nothing to do with voice, just
    >>> data. (my voice calls sound the same with my phone that displays
    >>> 1X). What do you mean by "greater density". Does that mean cramming
    >>> more voice calls in the same bandwidth?
    >>
    >> It's Kbs (kilo-bits/sec).
    >>
    >> 1xRTT is a CDMA protocol in the CDMA-2000 family, which includes
    >> 1xEV-DO, 1xEV-DV, and 3x. CDMA-2000 is compatible with the first
    >> generation IS-95 CDMA protocol. The 1x refers to the using the same
    >> carrier bandwidth of 1.25MHz as IS-95, with 3x using three such carriers
    >> glued together.
    >> On the voice side, 1xRTT allows more calls to exist in a given cell
    >> than does IS-95, mostly due to more sophisticated algorithms, better
    >> transmit power control, and fancier chipsets, rather than just
    >> chopping the bandwidth for a given call. Standby time is increased
    >> significantly on 1xRTT. On the data side, 1xRTT has the 80-140Kbs
    >> speed that others have mentioned. 1xEV-DO, where "DO" means "Data
    >> Only", puts the higher speed data on carriers separate from voice.
    >> 1xEV-DV puts the voice and data back on the same carrier. But there
    >> seems to be some talk of carrying the voice traffic as IP on 1xEV-DO
    >> (VO-IP), rather than developing 1xEV-DV.

Verizon LG Thor Internet Service Providers