compaq keyboard: set backspace key to space

Last response: in Computer Brands
February 4, 2005 12:01:23 PM

The 237743-401 keyboard that came with my old Presario 4770 has a split
spacebar. The left half is normally a backspace key.
There is a way to let it function as a spacebar, I believe by pressing
some specific key-combination.
Does anybody know?

Thanks

Eric
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 5:39:13 AM

Hello Eric the best bet is to go to any local Radio Shack store and buying a
recent Compaq keyboard without this "oddball" space bar.

--
Juan Pablo Rojas
Graphic Designer - Developer

<eliong@cura.net> wrote in message
> The 237743-401 keyboard that came with my old Presario 4770 has a split
> spacebar. The left half is normally a backspace key.
> There is a way to let it function as a spacebar, I believe by pressing
> some specific key-combination.
> Does anybody know?
>
> Thanks
>
> Eric

September 14, 2011 1:58:05 PM

Quote:

The 237743-401 keyboard that came with my old Presario 4770 has a split
spacebar. The left half is normally a backspace key.
There is a way to let it function as a spacebar, I believe by pressing
some specific key-combination.
Does anybody know?

Thanks

Eric

I am aware that your issue should be solved by now, but some people (like me) may come across this thread when looking for a solution for the same problem. Here is an excerpt of the keyboard's manual:

  1. To program the Erase-Eaze key for use in other modes, press and hold the Alt+Ctrl+Shift keys on the left side of the keyboard. Then press the left-half of the divided spacebar to cycle through the following modes:
  2.
  3.
  4. Table 1-13. Erase-Eaze Key Modes
  6. Mode Left-Half of Right-Half of
  7. Divided Spacebar Divided Spacebar
  9. A (default) Backspace Forward space
  10. B Forward space Backspace
  11. C Forward space Forward space
  13. The Erase-Eaze key mode returns to the default mode (A) each time the computer is restarted.
!