compaq keyboard: set backspace key to space

The 237743-401 keyboard that came with my old Presario 4770 has a split
spacebar. The left half is normally a backspace key.
There is a way to let it function as a spacebar, I believe by pressing
some specific key-combination.
Does anybody know?

Thanks

Eric
2 answers Last reply
More about compaq keyboard backspace space

    Hello Eric the best bet is to go to any local Radio Shack store and buying a
    recent Compaq keyboard without this "oddball" space bar.

    --
    Juan Pablo Rojas
    Graphic Designer - Developer

    <eliong@cura.net> wrote in message
    > The 237743-401 keyboard that came with my old Presario 4770 has a split
    > spacebar. The left half is normally a backspace key.
    > There is a way to let it function as a spacebar, I believe by pressing
    > some specific key-combination.
    > Does anybody know?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Eric

  2. Quote:

    The 237743-401 keyboard that came with my old Presario 4770 has a split
    spacebar. The left half is normally a backspace key.
    There is a way to let it function as a spacebar, I believe by pressing
    some specific key-combination.
    Does anybody know?

    Thanks

    Eric

    I am aware that your issue should be solved by now, but some people (like me) may come across this thread when looking for a solution for the same problem. Here is an excerpt of the keyboard's manual:

    [cpp]To program the Erase-Eaze key for use in other modes, press and hold the Alt+Ctrl+Shift keys on the left side of the keyboard. Then press the left-half of the divided spacebar to cycle through the following modes:

    Table 1-13. Erase-Eaze Key Modes
    Mode Left-Half of Right-Half of
    Divided Spacebar Divided Spacebar
    A (default) Backspace Forward space
    B Forward space Backspace
    C Forward space Forward space
    The Erase-Eaze key mode returns to the default mode (A) each time the computer is restarted.[/cpp]

Compaq Presario Keyboards Computers