Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
Hey.. recently i bought a fan that had two untailed wires... anyone know where i can find directions on how to attach it to a molex connector?
Also, does anyone know where i can buy (or make) a 3 pin to 4 pin adapter for a fan? Thanks

Time is the best teacher... unfortunatly, it kills all of its students.

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Well your best bet is just to take a fan into a Radio Shack or similiar sytle store. You need Molex 4 pin connectors. Off the top of my head I can't tell you the part #. The easiest best is always to take the part with you and let someone knowledgeable direct you. If you have a meter, you can easily tell which are the grounds and the 12v or 5 volt leads. Pins 1 and 4 are normally 0V and 12V respectively. They have little numbers you can see on the wire side of the connector, or with molex, a little tab that extrudes off the connector is always pin 1.

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Radio Shack and knowledge in the same post, you must have some smart people working in RadioCrap there, here they got no clue about anything other than batteries. :D

PC power
yellow = 12v
red = 5v
black = ground
--Connecting yellow to (+) and red to (-) on fan, will give 7 volts, so you got 3 different voltages if needed--

I'm guessing he asked that, not sure because it's 3:26 am :)

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking. hmm still silence</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Strip the wire, fold it over the insulation, and poke the ends into a large molex connector. It works! Red fan wire to yellow molex wire, black to black. Tape stops it from comming apart accidentally.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Actually I don't work at Radio Shack, I work for a robotics company. Nor do I normally condone chain retail shops except in cases like this where the person seems to have a little less knowledge than the average counter person. If you cant find someone who knows something 'next door' you're always better going off to an 'expert'.

In my personal situation, I access to every pin, connector resistor, wire etc... Most people don't have that luxury. Hell I've even made my own IDE cables for custom cases. It's just that when you don't know much, or aren't quite sure, it's always best to find someone with the most possible experience. Even if they're far from experts.

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I didn't say you work there, I was just poking fun of saying radiocrap sales people and smart in the same post. :)

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking. hmm still silence</font color=red>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Just do what crashman said, if you want to get a bit more technical than poking wires down the molex, then cut the molex off and tape the red wire from the fan to the yellow wire from the ex-molex yellow, and the black fan wire to the ex-molex black.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
well i got it to work.. thanks for your help.

Time is the best teacher... unfortunatly, it kills all of its students.