Temp to certifie AMD coolers

cordis

Distinguished
May 22, 2002
i have seen lots of people (not overclocking) that uses better cooler than the ones AMD certifies. for example the volcano 6 is certified up to xp 2100+, but lot of people says it should be used only up to 1800+. I would like to know what is the limit temperature AMD guys uses to certifie the coolers. i saw a post (dont remember where) someone said he got an answer from AMD saying that the processor can reach 90ºC safely, if its true AMD can certifies coolers that reaches 80ºC for example, can it be possible?

G

AMD CPU's are certified to a temp of 90 degrees Celsius....some even 95, but for them certifying coolers that let cpus be 80 Celsius is out of the question since ur PC wont be operating too well @ that temp. 80 would be a peaking temp, not a normal using temperature

cordis

Distinguished
May 22, 2002
Ok 80ºC, i exaggerated, but lets say 60 to 65ºC, its about 2/3 of the limit temperature, we could say its fairly safe. So why buy a TOP cooler, TOP expensive, TOP noisy, like delta fan or 7000 rpm or 60 db(A), to reach 50ºC ?? What for? if i wont do overclock and use a xp 2100+ (its certified in AMD site to use with VOLCANO 6) so whats the use of VOLCANO 6+ or 7 or volcano 7+ ? only for overclockers? look volcano 6 is 31dBA Noise and volcano 7+ reaches 47 dB(A). I am not asserting anything but really wanna receive some answers ´cause what i am saying are facts but nobody seems to know the answer.
thanks anyway

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hmm...well, i would say that with something like that, the TOP cooler, with the TOP fan, and TOP price, you will definately be getting temps under 50°C.
you will probably be looking at under 40°C and that is a pretty decent temperature for air cooling.
you can make air cooling perform well, and not be loud at the same time. all you have to do is get a high output fan that is QUIET.
or you can go for zalman.
if you are asking about what temp a heatsink has to keep the cpu under for it to become certified by AMD, i dont know, but i would assume that the heatsink would have to perform well enough to keep the cpu lasting long enough to keep up with its warranty period. it would have to be able to do that in a normal condition. like one case fan on the bottom front of the case, and a dual fan PSU, which is the recommended setup by AMD. airflow moving from the bottom front to the top rear. if a heatsink is able to keep a cpu running within whatever temp they have set, which i would assume is 50°C and under, they will probably certify it.
but i dont think that it only relys on the temp.
i think that it also relys on the heatsinks ease of installation, ability to run with dust in it, and clip design.
for the most part, the heatsinks that stick close to the AMD retail design will be certified because that is what AMD designed, and decided to be the correct way to cool the chip.
but i dont know FOR SURE. i am just Pretty sure.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
one thing we are missing here- which has been discussed a lot in the past, is CORE temp, AMD say the cpu can hit 90C CORE TEMP, this is NOT the temp that we measure at the bottom of the cpu with our little thermal diode. this can be over 10C difference.
Even so, DECENT running temp is IMO under 50C. mine runs at no more than mid 30's now, but never got it that low with a fan :)

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

cordis

Distinguished
May 22, 2002
well,
here in Brazil i haver never seen a Zalman, here i can find globalwin, coolermaster, AVC, thermaltake, globalwin :(
i really wanted a silent cooler cause my pc is besides my (and my wife of course)bed, i saw some reviews of this cooler and it seems very good.
Just one more question you can see in AMD´s site for XP 2100+ you can use the following coolers:
AVC 112 bj0-1
Coolermaster dp5-6j31c-a1
Volcano 6 (not plus)
You wrote "i would assume is 50°C and under, they will probably certify it."
do you think those coolers provides that temp?
a friend of mine said that only a stupid will use a volcano 6 with a xp 2100, he uses only with a 1700 or xp 1800(TOP) because of those informations is why i think AMD probably certifies cooler that reaches temps a lot higher we accept as reliable, good, safe ....
thanks for your help
Ricardo

cordis

Distinguished
May 22, 2002
i looked again and it says "maximum die temperature 90ºC" if what you are saying is correct i will forgot the 60ºC and begin to think in 50ºC as you said
thanks
by the way how can you get 30ºC ?which cpu?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
by the way how can you get 30ºC ?which cpu?
its a 1400 tbird running at 1700 2.05V, but as I mentioned, I couldnt achieve this with a fan, <A HREF="http://www.calvsplace.cwc.net" target="_new">my setup</A>

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Water coolers for a non OC'd cpu is generally overkill in my opinion. And they don't even reduce noise, because you still need multiple fans to cool the radiator.

The zalman ones I hear are nice coolers and are quite interesting but don't really offer cooling performance. I like the Volcano 7+ actually because 47db is only for the highest setting. At the lowest setting it's easy to forget the fan's even on when using your computer, and with adequate case airflow you can run it at this speed, or the second setting which is around 31-32db.

No one's done a wide-scale test of this, but it would be neat if people tested all of the current popular fans using a baybus or zalman fanmate to reduce the fan speed to a point where the fan noise is tolerable (meaning you don't notice it and where the high pitched whine disappears; generally this is around 29db and lower). Then fans like the deltas might actually be useable.

Another thing to look into is building an ultra quiet system. You could get a lian-li, put dynamat inside, attach silencer fans inside (these fans are 20db for the 80mm version and 24db for the 92mm, amazingly quiet) and get a sub-30db cpu cooler. The grand finale would be an enermax psu with really quiet fans. More things could be done. Use rubber-bands and "float" your 3.5" hard drive inside a 5.25" bay, and the rubber bands will absorb vibration, and also some noise. Use rubber pins on each of your fans to reduce the vibration and noise. Get some acoustic absorption pins from an audio store and place them directly underneath your motherboard where the CPU is. Place your entire case on top of some foam or foam-based mouse pads. If your case is on top of a desk, consider placing it below the desk to reduce noise. Attach a fanmate to your graphics card cooling fan, since GPU coolers tend to be quite noisy nowadays. Get a baybus from pcmods.com and optimize the speeds of all of your fans. Replace smaller fans with larger fans to eliminate high-pitched "whining" noises, however you will create more vibrations. Buy a Vapochill case and accessories for around $850-1000 and enjoy a near silent system. Put layered foam on the inside of your case. Cover all holes inside the case so the fans can create better airflow, allowing you to reduce their speeds and keep the same cooling ability. If you are using a wooden computer desk, consider replacing it with something that has less density and better acoustic absorption. There are lots of things you could do but some of them get more and more complicated. Acoustic and car technology is where I'd look next. For years both of these technologies have focused on reduction of noise and vibration, so they already have accomplished a lot. Just think about the quietest car you ever rode in. Every car has a very noisy engine, but how did that car manage to make the noise almost silent? Then again, cars parallel the cpu cooling world in that there are some really noisy, vibrating cars like taxis where people don't really care about noise and vibration and rather about making the car cheap.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
And they don't even reduce noise, because you still need multiple fans to cool the radiator.

I dont have a radiator at all, never mind fans on it! my pc has a chipset fan and a vidcard fan (and of course the almost silent psu fans- temp controlled), my pc is almost silent, I can hear the hdd access- thats how quiet it is.

cordis

Distinguished
May 22, 2002
I wrote to dynatron:
"Hi i saw the DC1206BM-L/610-T AMD model
there is a graph i didnt understand it shows the amd xp 1700 and the temperature is more than 80º C is it alright ????"

LOOK THE ANSWER
Dear Ricardo
I believed the graphic was XP1600+......
Anyway, the termal resistance is certified by AMD.
100% safe to used as up to XP2100+.
Thanks
Kenny Kwong
AMD Recommended Athlon™ Processor Up To XP 2200+ MP 2000+
Dynatron Corp. www.dynatron-corp.com
A Leading CPU Coolers and Cooling Fans Manufacturer.
Tel: 510 498-8888
Fax: 510 498-8488
ICQ#: 130350819

Look at the link below and tell me whats wrong????!!!! if it is 80ºF the guy that answered me didnt noticed i wrote 80ºC, but if it is 80ºF it is TOO COLD isnt it???
http://www.dynatron-corp.com/proddetail.asp?cid=6&sku=DC1206BM-L

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Ok here's the thing. AMD "certifies" up to 80 degrees celsius but you really never want to go near that temperature. Your processor may end up burning out quite fast over time. 80 degrees fahrenheit isn't too cold actually. That's like 34.2 degrees celsius, which is quite good. Also remember that temperature probes can be really inaccurate and to also be skeptical of what they advertise. A lot of cpu cooler manufacturers put up graphs that are for the most part, fake. Dealers advertise better CFMs and quieter decibel ratings than what fans actually deliver, and temperatures advertised are lower than temperatures in practice.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, i dont know how much heat the xp 2100+ puts out, but my athlon 900, oced to 1.07ghz with 1.82 volts running through it runs at 43°C with the volcano 6cu...not the plus, and when under load just reaches 49°C
nothing to really worry about..
and i dont know about your friend saying that only a stupid person uses the 6cu on an xp2100+....i think the 6cu can handle it.
and anyways...isnt the 6cu on the AMD list? im not sure for the 2100+, but i think it is.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-