Quick newbie question I'd appreciate answered

fireflayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
I am going to buy a new case (Antec Performance Plus 1080), but on my motherboard I only have one plugin thing for a "sysfan" is there somewhere else to plug the fans in or do I have a crappy motherboard?

Thanks a bunch.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey F,

Plug all non-cpu fans into the HDD type(4 prong) sockets/connectors. Don't use the mobo 3 plug connectors for anything other than the CPU/HSF fan(if it is a less than 6500 rpm fan, if it is more plug it into the 4 prong connectors with all the other devices)& the PS fan(if it is a dual fan PS, controlled by the mobo). The reason is too many fans or too high powered fans may draw too much of the mobo's current, causing system instability.

You may have to buy adapters if all your fans are the 3 prong type.

Without knowing which mobo that you have, I can't say, if it is or isn't a "crappy" motherboard. Most mobo's only have 3 or 4 fan connectors- 1 cpu fan, 1 system fan, 1 power supply fan and sometimes 1 chipset fan.

Peace Out.............tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing

fireflayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
Alright, thank you, someone told me that over on another thread (wasn't exactly sure where this went). The fans I'm getting with it are the 4 prong one, so it should work well.

The motherboard is a PCChips 830LR, but back in December I paid $140 for the mobo and a 1600+, so it's not like I paid a lot of money for it... it works for now until I get more money.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
no offence meant, but I'd be tempted to put the $$/££ into a new board rather than a case

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

fireflayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
I would be doing that but considering I have a 200 watt power supply that's micro-atx so it's a bitch to replace, i'm going to have to go with this.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
**/me gives fireflayer a funny look**

Still running that 286 are you! upgrade upgrade!

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

fireflayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
nah... more like a cutting-corners gateway computer my parents bought me 3 years ago that only has the original case with it now... hopefully i can sell the old one somewhere for $150-$200 for something.