High end Gaming Rig- mediocre fps on wow ultra settings

ubere

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Hello, this is my first post in Tom's Hardware forum. I follow the news and this forums for quite some time but never had the necessity to open a thread before.

I recently just got my gaming rig system and brand new and all parts are high end(well i assumed it is) anyways.. when i started playing wow most of the time my fps remained at 60 Vsync on but when i go to high populated areas such as oggrimar or stormwind where there are heaps of characters and objects i get dips to 40-45fps on ultra max settings. I got a friend in which his build was inferior to mine yet his fps remains 60 regardless of where he goes

My specs are:

Core i7 3770 CPU @3.4ghz turboboost to 3.9(not k version)
Asus Sabertooth z77
Default case cooling( my mobo and system never heats up high anyway
Corsair Vengeange 16gb Ram
GPU:GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 2gb oc version
OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD
Western Digital 2TB HDD
Enermax 1050w psu

Some notes on the system:

- I play at 1600x1200 resolution monitor Syncmaster 223bw - RAM, Graphics Card and PSU are very recent
- Operating System is Windows 7 Home Premium and is installed on the SSD drive for fast boot times and operation (Windows 7 ultimate was tried too)

graemevermeulen

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
That's a good system.

I've heard of people having similar problems and usually due to the processor. In some cases disabling HyperThreading has increased performance and in other cases it's remained the same or even decreased performance.

If you're still having this problem try disabling V-Sync? See what happens

blakwidowrsa

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

Tell me, ubere :ouch:

Is all your nvidia control panel setting default? And using the LucidLogix Virtu MVP ?

__Y_/_N________Y_/_N_______________________

Have you installed ALL Asus's drivers and utilities? Including intel chipset updates? And have you done a BIOS update(MB)?

__Y_/_N________Y_/_N__________Y_/_N_________

blakwidowrsa

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

:pt1cable:
That is precisely why Im asking......most ppl get uber rigs pre-assembled with everything preloaded and come to forums when they don't know what the f is wrong....
I need to know.

There are numerous problems with sabertooths. just google : asus sabertooth z77 stuttering

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

Maximum settings in the wilderness. I just started playing, haven't really encountered any big cities yet. Got the battlechest, WoTLK and Cataclysm for $5 each at gamestop.

ubere

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

hello thank you for asking, but yeah all my chipsets and drivers etc are updated, but i havent got lucidlogix virtu mvp might dl it now...

blakwidowrsa

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

Let me know how the MVP works out, supposedly it enables and balances the cpu gfx extentions, ultimately lightening the gfx load.

It kinda makes sense to keep those other 'idle' cores busy by enabling the on-die gfx.Maybe it kicks the whole cpu in sync.

:heink:

That's fair enough. But when you get to a big city (like stormwind/orgrimmar), at the center of it at peak hours, you'll get your FPS drops :).