Sign in with
Your question

Playing Xbox 360 on Computer Monitor

Last response: in Video Games
August 28, 2012 5:50:32 PM

Hello.

I have an xbox 360 and I have a computer monitor that only has a VGA port and doesn't come with built-in speakers. Is there a cable or pair of cables that lets me convert composite or HDMI to VGA output and a sound jack that I can plug my headphones into.

Any help/advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you very much!
a b C Monitor
August 29, 2012 12:13:00 AM

There is an actual VGA cable option for the 360. If you are in the US, you can get a third party cable that will work here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&...

Otherwise, check eBay in your area, or even Microsoft's online store. There was an official VGA cable once upon a time. It might just be that with the introduction of HDMI onto the 360, demand dropped off significantly, and they stopped replenishing stock in the channel, but you can still buy it "special order".
m
l
August 29, 2012 1:00:51 AM

Is there a cable that can convert the red and white cable into a jack that I can plug my headphones into?
m
l
Related resources
August 29, 2012 1:07:14 AM

arfy said:
Is there a cable that can convert the red and white cable into a jack that I can plug my headphones into?

That will not work as, the red and white RCA cable is a lineout cable. Even if you could get an adapter the volume would be very very soft.

There is an Xbox360 headset that plugs right into the controller close to the battery holder.
m
l
August 29, 2012 1:30:51 AM

I know there is a headset but I ruled that out since the game sound doesn't go through the headset. Is there another way I can get sound such as buying a special headset that can accept RCA lineout cables?
m
l
August 29, 2012 12:24:20 PM

arfy said:
I know there is a headset but I ruled that out since the game sound doesn't go through the headset. Is there another way I can get sound such as buying a special headset that can accept RCA lineout cables?

:heink:  you will have to get the RCA into some sort of preamp, and plug the headphones into the preamp.

Like a mini-hifi or Hifi, or some pc speakers... do you have a old PSU and a car amp lying around? I dont know dude, there are so many different radios you can plug RCA'a in...........what was the question again? ^^ :sleep: 
m
l
a b C Monitor
August 29, 2012 5:21:24 PM

arfy said:

Yes. Those are called composite audio cables, and you can find composite audio to 3.5mm headphone adapter cables quite easily on Monoprice or several other places. Do keep in mind what was already said about that signal expecting there to be an amp on the other end to boost the volume.
m
l
August 29, 2012 7:14:11 PM

So, do you guys have any specific solutions? Can you post links to the cables that I should use? Sorry for asking but this is my first time hearing of audio signals and boosters.
m
l
August 30, 2012 1:27:41 AM

Ok, I've seen good reviews about this cable used in conjunction with the xbox VGA cable to get sound into my earphones. Could you let me know if there is any potential issue with using this cable, such as that signal issue that you mentioned? Cause I don't have much time to order this:

Thank you very much for all of your help! :) 
m
l
!