Print to File - Generic/Text Only, Automatically Generate ..

March 2, 2005 2:51:05 PM

Is there some simple way to automatically generate a file name when requested
from printing to a Print to File printer?

Could a batch file be written that runs in the background, looking for the
Print to File window that opens asking for a file name, and provide a name,
sequentially incrementing each file name? If so, any suggestions how to do
this would be appreciated.

Or any other way to accomplish this?
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 7:36:21 PM

TonyC wrote:
> Is there some simple way to automatically generate a file name when
requested
> from printing to a Print to File printer?
>
> Could a batch file be written that runs in the background, looking
for the
> Print to File window that opens asking for a file name, and provide a
name,
> sequentially incrementing each file name? If so, any suggestions how
to do
> this would be appreciated.
>
> Or any other way to accomplish this?

You could try Virtual Port Monitor. It installs as a
printer port and it will automatically name the file,
or append to a log file. You can also run a post-print
command in any selected security context, so you can use
the network if you need to. You can download the
fully functional version at:

http://www.alphatronics.net/AVPMon.html

Greg
March 7, 2005 10:55:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. This worked great.

I had tried a similar piece of software from another company, and it worked
until I fired up the application I needed it for, then it didn't work anymore.

This one seems bullit proof. I will be gladly paying up and registering my
copy.

!