Closed

Print to File - Generic/Text Only, Automatically Generate ..

Is there some simple way to automatically generate a file name when requested
from printing to a Print to File printer?

Could a batch file be written that runs in the background, looking for the
Print to File window that opens asking for a file name, and provide a name,
sequentially incrementing each file name? If so, any suggestions how to do
this would be appreciated.

Or any other way to accomplish this?
2 answers Last reply
More about print file generic text only automatically generate

    TonyC wrote:
    > Is there some simple way to automatically generate a file name when
    requested
    > from printing to a Print to File printer?
    >
    > Could a batch file be written that runs in the background, looking
    for the
    > Print to File window that opens asking for a file name, and provide a
    name,
    > sequentially incrementing each file name? If so, any suggestions how
    to do
    > this would be appreciated.
    >
    > Or any other way to accomplish this?

    You could try Virtual Port Monitor. It installs as a
    printer port and it will automatically name the file,
    or append to a log file. You can also run a post-print
    command in any selected security context, so you can use
    the network if you need to. You can download the
    fully functional version at:

    http://www.alphatronics.net/AVPMon.html

    Greg

    Thanks for the suggestion. This worked great.

    I had tried a similar piece of software from another company, and it worked
    until I fired up the application I needed it for, then it didn't work anymore.

    This one seems bullit proof. I will be gladly paying up and registering my
    copy.

    "alphatronics@sprintmail.com" wrote:

    > TonyC wrote:
    > > Is there some simple way to automatically generate a file name when
    > requested
    > > from printing to a Print to File printer?
    > >
    > > Could a batch file be written that runs in the background, looking
    > for the
    > > Print to File window that opens asking for a file name, and provide a
    > name,
    > > sequentially incrementing each file name? If so, any suggestions how
    > to do
    > > this would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Or any other way to accomplish this?
    >
    > You could try Virtual Port Monitor. It installs as a
    > printer port and it will automatically name the file,
    > or append to a log file. You can also run a post-print
    > command in any selected security context, so you can use
    > the network if you need to. You can download the
    > fully functional version at:
    >
    > http://www.alphatronics.net/AVPMon.html
    >
    > Greg

File Name Microsoft Windows XP