EQ directory

I can't seem to find all my original media for EQ, so can I just copy
my current EQ directory to another computer?

Well, of course I can, but will it work as before....? Not sure if
there are dll's or registry entries that are required to work.

Thanks.

~F
7 answers Last reply
More about directory

    Faeandar <mr_castalot@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > I can't seem to find all my original media for EQ, so can I just copy
    > my current EQ directory to another computer?
    >
    > Well, of course I can, but will it work as before....? Not sure if
    > there are dll's or registry entries that are required to work.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > ~F

    no, there's no dll's or anything. EQ is one of the few games that doesn't
    do that.

    In article <a8teb19kgheeun23ue73jaf8quedfsdqr6@4ax.com>,
    mr_castalot@yahoo.com says...
    > I can't seem to find all my original media for EQ, so can I just copy
    > my current EQ directory to another computer?
    >
    > Well, of course I can, but will it work as before....? Not sure if
    > there are dll's or registry entries that are required to work.

    Yes it will work as before.

    The -only- tricky bit is if you make a shortcut to the game afterwards,
    make sure its working directory is the eq folder, not your desktop (or
    whatever)... or it will scan your desktop find that none of the required
    eq files are there and initiate a 5GB download... ;)

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 03:10:35 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >The -only- tricky bit is if you make a shortcut to the game afterwards,
    >make sure its working directory is the eq folder, not your desktop (or
    >whatever)... or it will scan your desktop find that none of the required
    >eq files are there and initiate a 5GB download... ;)

    5GB over 56k modem... almost 11 days of nonstop 24/7 connection at
    best speed. >_< better keep those CDs.

    "Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 03:10:35 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>The -only- tricky bit is if you make a shortcut to the game afterwards,
    >>make sure its working directory is the eq folder, not your desktop (or
    >>whatever)... or it will scan your desktop find that none of the required
    >>eq files are there and initiate a 5GB download... ;)
    >
    > 5GB over 56k modem... almost 11 days of nonstop 24/7 connection at
    > best speed. >_< better keep those CDs.

    Except that every file on those CDs has been updated since the CD was
    burned, so you are going to have to patch them all.

    To the OP: as was stated, yes you can transfer your eq directory in part[1]
    or in whole to a new pc and it will run.
    [1] I added just the old world and a few selected luclin and kunark zones to
    a laptop with limited hard drive space. In the event of using only parts of
    an expansion make sure that the source files are all patched before transfer
    and then on the new machine under advanced options in the patcher uncheck
    all the expansions you don't want to use in their entirety.
    --
    Sinaiel Soulmerchant
    Wraith of Misericordia

    From an original EQ CD, an original RoK CD, an original SoL CD, and an
    original PoP CD, it takes 12.5 hours to patch EQ up to par via a
    Bellsouth DSL line. This does include downloading all of LoY, GoD,
    OoW, and DoN.

    Submitted by: Isloor
    This message was submitted through the Erollisi Marr Forum

    Bebinn <bebinn@invalid.com> wrote in

    > Faeandar <mr_castalot@yahoo.com> wrote in
    >
    >> I can't seem to find all my original media for EQ, so can I just copy
    >> my current EQ directory to another computer?
    >>
    >> Well, of course I can, but will it work as before....? Not sure if
    >> there are dll's or registry entries that are required to work.
    >
    > no, there's no dll's or anything. EQ is one of the few games that
    > doesn't do that.

    Actually, there are no registered dlls to worry about, there are dlls.
    Minor nitpick.

    I have never had a problem with just copying the entire directory,
    although, I have not done it for a couple expansions now.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 34 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter
    Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

    In <a8teb19kgheeun23ue73jaf8quedfsdqr6@4ax.com> Faeandar <mr_castalot@yahoo.com> writes:

    > I can't seem to find all my original media for EQ, so can I just copy
    > my current EQ directory to another computer?

    > Well, of course I can, but will it work as before....? Not sure if
    > there are dll's or registry entries that are required to work.

    As others have said, just copy the directory and it will work just fine.

    If your transfer mechanism is burning the files to CD or DVD, though,
    make sure that the "read-only" attribute gets unset after you copy the
    files to the new hard drive.

    --
    John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
    gordon@panix.com

Video Games