First off, I have a HP Deskjet 5740 printer and am running Windows XP Home
Edition. Some of the pages I print have odd bars and squares in the normal
print and some of the pages don't even finish printing before they are
ejected out of the printer.

Here are some scanned parts of the pages that were printed.

From a PDF file:
(Weird black bars and squares show up here.)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/nrf81/07.gif

From Word documents:
(Started printing but didn't even finish with the second line before
ejecting the paper.)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/nrf81/06.gif

(More weird black bars.)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/nrf81/05.gif

Weird gibberish printed from my old Epson Stylus Color 777:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/nrf81/03.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/nrf81/02.gif

I've been having problems like this on and off since I bought the HP printer
a few months ago. Also, I had some of the same kind of problems with my
older Epson Stylus Color 777.

What could be going on here and is there anything I can try to fix it? If I
only have USB 1.1 and not 2.0 would that have anything to do with this
problem?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Byte

Try the simple first. In other words, try printing a Test page which most
printers have built in. Second, try using either WordPad or NotePad to
print a simple one paragraph document. If they do not print correctly, then
check your printer properties and troubleshoot the installation and drivers
that
they are the latest compatible with XP.