how to remove GF3 Heatsinks

justinstraub

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2002
I have a ASUS GeForce 3 Video card. I overclocked it and want to overclock it further. I wanna try to put some Artic Silver on the memory and core heatsinks. How do I remove them? They are held down with the plastic clips going through the card. I tried to get them off but I seems that I may break the card In half because they are so hard to get off. How do I remove them safely?

Justin

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
it shouldn't be that hard to take off the hsf, the plastic clip goes rite throu the card, look at the back of the card and you should see the end of the clip coming out in a shape of a arrow, the 2 outside bit are 2 be pressed in with a plyer or somthing in order to remove the clip. once you remove the clip, clean the bottom of the hsf and the core with acetone, then go 2 arcticsilver.com for AS3 application instructions. also, you need 2 send the top of the core with a VERY fine sand paper to flatten it, cause the center of the core sinks in a little bit.
persoanlly, i find AS3 dosn't work particularly well with large surface area,so apply the grease, remount the hsf, and take it off again 2 see if the core comes in contact with the hsf perfect.