Whats better- Internal or External Modem

Rynthar

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2002
Really trying to figure out which is better- Internal or External modems. It wont be a while until I get cable, so I want my final 8-12 months of 56k to be ultra fast =). Right now, I know for certain I want to buy a very good quality USR modem. Currently deciding between there external modem ($94), v90 internal faxmodem ISA ($99), or their v.92 performance pro modem. They say in the "pro" overview it has the ability to switch into gamer mode, but dont understand that. Help =)

G

Two important components to percieved modem performance are connection speed, and host CPU loading.

I would say the most important is the connection speed, USRobotics are known to be good at this.

Next is CPU loading. As I understand it all external modems by default must be "hardware" modems. Internal modems may be "hardware" or "software", it depends on the model. Whatever you get you want it to be a "hardware" modem. The difference is in which component is handling compression and error correction, the modem or the host CPU. "Hardware" modems handle the compression and error protection in internal hardware and so the host CPU never has to worry about these tasks thus freeing it's time for potentially working on other tasks. "Software" modems require the host CPU to compute the compression and error correction tasks, and thus take up more of it's time resulting in a slower system.

In summary you want a modem with the highest connection speeds that minimally loads the host CPU. I think, but you should verify it, that all of the modems you mention meet these criteria. Besides that you just need to decide which features you like.

All in all if you want a device which doesn't use system resources and which interferes in your PC the least, a router with a built in modem is the best option. There are single port varieties out there, which aren't too expensive.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=324" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

dstell

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
A hardware controler modem is always better than a software (WinModem). Personally, I always suggest the external models which seem on the average to be a little better for the most part. US Robotics Sportster and Courier models seem to perform best.