Loud on start up

P4user

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2002
Lately when I've been starting up my computer I've been gettting a loud whirring sound coming from it. After Windows has finished loading the whirring slows down and becomes normal again. I'm guessing that this sound is coming from one of the fans, I'm hoping it's coming from one of the fan's and not the hard drive. Does this sound mean the fan needs replacement? What should I do?

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Do you start you computer with a CD in the tray?

<font color=green><b>Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened! :eek:

P4user

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2002
I think I know what you're talking about because I've had the cdrom be very loud and whirry like too. But this time I checked the cdrom and opened it up while the comp was making the sound but nothing changed. The sound is very similar but it's even louder than a whirry cdrom drive. Any ideas?

bobmitch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2002
Hi,

I have the same problem. I actually traced it to my CPU fan. Intel calls it a "cold fan". Starts sluggishly and after the bearings warm up...all is fine. I have been able to monitor the RPM's that the fan puts out...about 2700 on bootup...and then about 2800 after warm up. At this point...Intel is sending me a new P4 Heatsink and fan to replace the "cold fan". Seems that they use two different brands of fan and have a lot of problems with one of the brands. They claim that they have the fewest problems with their Sanyo fans.

Check your CPU fan...

Bob