EQ1 comp shutting down?

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Anyone have an idea why my computer keeps shutting down in the middle of
gameplay. It doesn't seem to happen when I play any other games (though
I can't be certain because I don't really play my other games that
often), but it seems to mostly be happening during eq. It's not even
like I get that screen that says "logging off," "shutting down," and so
forth, it just turns off without warning. I don't even get lag or
anything before it happens, just poof! it turns off!

bob wrote:
> Anyone have an idea why my computer keeps shutting down in the middle of
> gameplay. It doesn't seem to happen when I play any other games (though
> I can't be certain because I don't really play my other games that
> often), but it seems to mostly be happening during eq. It's not even
> like I get that screen that says "logging off," "shutting down," and so
> forth, it just turns off without warning. I don't even get lag or
> anything before it happens, just poof! it turns off!

I had the same symptoms and it turned out to be my CPU fan. The
computer seemed ok when just running Windows but wouldn't last very
long when running EQ (or EQ2 - I can't remember)

I'd have thought that it would happen with the other games but if it
happens after, say, 30 minutes and you don't play your other games for
that long then it might look like it is only EQ and actually be just
time based.

steve.kaye

<dlv88@comcast.net> wrote:
> Anyone have an idea why my computer keeps shutting down in the middle of
> gameplay. It doesn't seem to happen when I play any other games (though
> I can't be certain because I don't really play my other games that
> often), but it seems to mostly be happening during eq. It's not even
> like I get that screen that says "logging off," "shutting down," and so
> forth, it just turns off without warning. I don't even get lag or
> anything before it happens, just poof! it turns off!

In addition to all the other possibilities already mentioned, all likely
possible culprits, there is another possibility. Does it always happen in
the same zone(s)? My laptop cannot be used in Proving Grounds because
there's a certain set of corners that cause an actual CPU error which
results in an instant hard reboot.

Faned wrote:
> <dlv88@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Anyone have an idea why my computer keeps shutting down in the middle of
>>gameplay. It doesn't seem to happen when I play any other games (though
>>I can't be certain because I don't really play my other games that
>>often), but it seems to mostly be happening during eq. It's not even
>>like I get that screen that says "logging off," "shutting down," and so
>>forth, it just turns off without warning. I don't even get lag or
>>anything before it happens, just poof! it turns off!
>

> In addition to all the other possibilities already mentioned, all likely
> possible culprits, there is another possibility. Does it always happen in
> the same zone(s)? My laptop cannot be used in Proving Grounds because
> there's a certain set of corners that cause an actual CPU error which
> results in an instant hard reboot.

That's actually your laptop running outta spare undies.

"bob" wrote:
> Anyone have an idea why my computer keeps shutting down in the middle of
> gameplay. It doesn't seem to happen when I play any other games (though
> I can't be certain because I don't really play my other games that
> often), but it seems to mostly be happening during eq. It's not even
> like I get that screen that says "logging off," "shutting down," and so
> forth, it just turns off without warning. I don't even get lag or
> anything before it happens, just poof! it turns off!

My husband was having this problem as well. He added another fan on Monday
and it hasn't crashed since then.

~Deborah~

Bristlebane Server:
Kentigern Fyrebear - Level 36 / Barbarian / Shaman
Vaerity - Level 28 / Gnome / Paladin

HEAT HEAT, sounds like a heat problem to me.
Happened to about 8 months back, took the side of the case off, and
positioned a house type fan pointing inside. Worked a treat, so fitted
additional fan inside.

Not a problem for 7 months and 2 weeks, then same symptons.....
Opened case, fans and heat sink full of dust. Soft brush, delicate use of a
hoover, dust gone, heat problem gone.

My moneys on heat.

bob wrote:
> Anyone have an idea why my computer keeps shutting down in the middle of
> gameplay. It doesn't seem to happen when I play any other games (though
> I can't be certain because I don't really play my other games that
> often), but it seems to mostly be happening during eq. It's not even
> like I get that screen that says "logging off," "shutting down," and so
> forth, it just turns off without warning. I don't even get lag or
> anything before it happens, just poof! it turns off!

Thanks for all the great advice. I've got a laptop, so adding
additional hardware will be kinda difficult, but I'm saving up for a new
comp, so I guess if power is the problem I'll just have to stay out of
the planes for a while.

bob wrote:

> Thanks for all the great advice. I've got a laptop, so adding
> additional hardware will be kinda difficult, but I'm saving up for a new
> comp, so I guess if power is the problem I'll just have to stay out of
> the planes for a while.
Some laptops overheat easily; make sure you ahve good circulation by
the intake and exhaust vents; even try to lift the back end off the
table by putting somethin under the back end and tilting itup.

zigipha@hotmail.com wrote:
> bob wrote:
>
> > Thanks for all the great advice. I've got a laptop, so adding
> > additional hardware will be kinda difficult, but I'm saving up for a new
> > comp, so I guess if power is the problem I'll just have to stay out of
> > the planes for a while.
> Some laptops overheat easily; make sure you ahve good circulation by
> the intake and exhaust vents; even try to lift the back end off the
> table by putting somethin under the back end and tilting itup.

My laptop maker (Toshiba) had the fantastic idea that it would be a
good idea to put the fans on the bottom of the unit which means if you
put it on your lap you block the vents. If that's the case with your
laptop and you are using it on your lap make sure that you don't cover
any vents on the bottom. I used to get a piece of wood to rest on my
knee so that the vents wouldn't be covered.

steve.kaye

steve.kaye wrote:
> My laptop maker (Toshiba) had the fantastic idea that it would be a
> good idea to put the fans on the bottom of the unit which means if you
> put it on your lap you block the vents. If that's the case with your
> laptop and you are using it on your lap make sure that you don't cover
> any vents on the bottom. I used to get a piece of wood to rest on my
> knee so that the vents wouldn't be covered.

I must have the same laptop! actually a few models have that design.
Heat is a big problem, which is why you dont see such a big push on
StateOftheArt processors, or a big push on current generation video
chips. A program like EQ uses all the resources of a computer (video,
memory, even the HD) on a continuous basis which stresses the
compromised designs of laptops.

PS the intake fans and interior heatsinks can get dusty...make sure you
blast them with air once in a while.