Success with Duron 1Ghz Morgan...

G

After much reading and contemplating I took the plunge last night and OC'd my 1ghz duron to 1.267ghz, this with a stock retail fan, on a K7S5A. Oh yeah, I also took the liberty of blowing a bunch of bridges on the CPU so as to be able to more quickly change the multiplier and voltage settings, kinda like bungy jumping, SCARY S@#T but worth it when it's all said and done...

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
First of all, congratulations. Welcome to the overclocking world.

Is it your límit? What do you thing isn't allowing you to go further? What temps do you have at full load? Have you run Prime95 or similar to check stability?

I recomend you to buy a new HSF and some artic silver. This will decrease considerably your temps and also allow for higher overclocking.

Can you tell also the config (multiplier/FSB)?

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Congratulations!

Please specify the core voltage, FSB, multiplier settings and also the HSF used.

1 GHz Morgan should be able to go still higher :smile:

girish

Every point I make has 'n' perspectives!
Boy do I need a <i>disclaimer</i> for my every word?

G

Currently I am at my limit, this is due to the fact I'm using the fan from the retail CPU boxed set and I'm limited to 100 or 133 for my FSB. I know I can flash an OC bios for the board, but my FDD is pooched at the moment and I can't boot from a disk in order to flash the bios. I've tried the chfsb program and I can't get it to work correctly. I'm running windows XP, and I go to the command prompt and run it, select the FSB I want to change to and it says it's changed it, but when I reboot, the FSB is still at whatever it was before I ran the program. I'm thinking this might be a problem with XP but am not sure... I will prob just get another FDD but they are so outdated and useless that I might wait a bit longer and get a USB thumb drive instead.

Oh yeah I guess I didn't mention I have the K7S5A in a mid tower case(generic), with an enermax EG365P-VE(FCA) power supply and an ATI AIW Radeon 7500, 512mb PC133 micron Ram and a WD 120gb HDD with 8mb buffer, as well as an LG 8X DVD rom...

My current multiplier/FSB settings are 9.5X/133, I am using arctic silver 3 as the thermal grease, but it's the HSF that's holding me back. As yet still undecided if I should get a kick assed HSF or switch to water cooling. I am doing this overclocking thing as a hobby, something to keep me busy so the water cooling might be the way to go...

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Water coolong is the best for overclock and silent, but also the most expensive. Also you have to be carefull, water don't use to mix well with electronics ;-)

Have you try to low the volt.? Probably it will decrease your temps. The best is to go up in volts as you see it's needed, not going directly to 1,85.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
OC'd my 1ghz duron to 1.267ghz, this with a stock retail fan, on a K7S5A.
not an exploit.

Oh yeah, I also took the liberty of blowing a bunch of bridges on the CPU so as to be able to more quickly change the multiplier and voltage settings, kinda like bungy jumping, SCARY S@#T but worth it when it's all said and done...
useless but scary. yea! go on.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know</font color=white>, the way could be more easy ...