A good recorder? not liking fraps..

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I'm using fraps but I'm not liking it at all. But, then I've also decided I don't just want to record games. I'd like the option to record something else i drag to the recording desktop. my system can handle most stuff. I've got a HDD dedicated to this about 350gb atm on it. I have to stop and compress every 2 hours of footage or so with fraps. I just think there's likely something a little better out there in terms of well everything from data size to features and HD support.

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
fraps is already terribly for performance. one of the issues I'd prefer to resolve. I'm not worried about spending on software. I probably have to get 2 new HDDs for the data. But, i still want to be able to record a full day without having to stop cause of size being too large. fraps about 14 seconds on full at 29.97fps is 4gbs of data. That's terrible..

I've tested camtasia I don't like it cause it can't record comp audio and file size are twice that of fraps. Although quality is absolutely gorgeous...

Adobe is my next test..

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

I'm not losing performance playing the game. it's the video performance itself. I can run wow on max and record full at 30fps. But, 2 things one i can't play back the full video until after it's encoded. I'm using adobe media encoder 6. the youtube 720p 29.97 fps preset

When doing this the video ends up with like a cloudy overlay feeling to what the original looked like.
Otherwise performance is fine. my cpu is 60-75% on some cores others are lower.

Edit: encoding is going to be another issue. software I'm using says it'll take about 2 hours for about 20 minutes of footage. My cpu isn't seeming to be touched by this software at all. anyway to increase the speed of this?

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

right now i'm still using fraps to record. no i wasn't using lossless RGB to record. I am using it now though. I'd have to assume it's the encoding that's adding the overlay I can play the video very laggy before encoding looks as good as playing the game almost. But, once encoded not soo much. we'll find out soon if lossless rgb helps. Right now though adobe media encoder 6 that came with cs6 master collection.

Nonetheless, uploading the files to youtube with my net would be ungodly painful. I'll probably be forced to record at half side with 29.97fps lossless rgb. hoping the encoding helps make the video seem a little smoother. recording at those settings seems really crappy.

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

it's a preset on adobe media encoder.
720 HD preset for youtube.
I don't much else about the tiny details.
reading from the following preset.
format H.264
Output: 1280x720, 29.97 fps, progressive
VBR, 2 pass, target 5.mbs, max 5. mbps
AAC, 320kbps, 48khz stereo

There's a buttload of things I can change on here but i don't know enough about this stuff to do so.

nonetheless, it's not likely possible. but there a way to shrink it and keep a load of quality. Why i am thinking i may just have to deal with the *** settings is cause the files are coming out 2.11gbs per hour after being encoded. My internet is like 3mbs down and 1.9 or .9 up.. so uploading that would take foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.