alison

I installed the Fax Console that came with Windows XP.

When I try to send a fax it dials out and comes back that the line is busy,
I know for a fact that this is a business line
and it should not be busy.

I think I have it configured correctly, In the Fax Configuration Wizard
under TSID I put my phone number and on the CSID I put my phone number
again.

Is this correct?

Thank you
Alison

Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
might lie.

These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

"Alison" <alisonmd@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I installed the Fax Console that came with Windows XP.
>
> When I try to send a fax it dials out and comes back that the line is
> busy,
> I know for a fact that this is a business line
> and it should not be busy.
>
> I think I have it configured correctly, In the Fax Configuration Wizard
> under TSID I put my phone number and on the CSID I put my phone number
> again.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Thank you
> Alison

Can you tell me how to find out if my modem is on that list

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"walt" <walt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can you tell me how to find out if my modem is on that list
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many
>> common
>> modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers
>> claim
>> they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not
>> apparent
>> during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when
>> you
>> first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will
>> answer
>> an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
>> messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception
>> error."
>> There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the
>> problem
>> might lie.
>>
>> These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
>> enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
>> require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
>> advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is
>> listed
>> on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest
>> drivers.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>
>> "Alison" <alisonmd@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> >I installed the Fax Console that came with Windows XP.
>> >
>> > When I try to send a fax it dials out and comes back that the line is
>> > busy,
>> > I know for a fact that this is a business line
>> > and it should not be busy.
>> >
>> > I think I have it configured correctly, In the Fax Configuration Wizard
>> > under TSID I put my phone number and on the CSID I put my phone number
>> > again.
>> >
>> > Is this correct?
>> >
>> > Thank you
>> > Alison

Russ

I have a similiar problem to Alison, when the fax modem dials out it decides
that the line is busy and the fax fails. But this does not always happen,
only occassionally so I know fax modem is compatible. The problem depends on
how quickly the fax machine being dialled answers the call. If it answers
quickly 1-2 seconds, call goes through OK. If it takes longer than 3 seconds
to answer Windows Fax Console gives up waiting and says 'line is busy'.
Can I configure windows fax console to wait longer for the call to be
answered ??
Cheers
Lawrence

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
> modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
> they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
> during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
> first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
> an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
> messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
> There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
> might lie.
>
> These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
> enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
> require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
> advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
> on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
>
> "Alison" <alisonmd@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >I installed the Fax Console that came with Windows XP.
> >
> > When I try to send a fax it dials out and comes back that the line is
> > busy,
> > I know for a fact that this is a business line
> > and it should not be busy.
> >
> > I think I have it configured correctly, In the Fax Configuration Wizard
> > under TSID I put my phone number and on the CSID I put my phone number
> > again.
> >
> > Is this correct?
> >
> > Thank you
> > Alison

I know of nothing you can adjust to help. Unfortunately, the Windows XP Fax
Service is neither robust nor reliable. It often fails to recognize
handshake tones from other modems and has no options to configure the wait
time.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Lawrence" <Lawrence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Russ
>
> I have a similiar problem to Alison, when the fax modem dials out it
> decides
> that the line is busy and the fax fails. But this does not always happen,
> only occassionally so I know fax modem is compatible. The problem depends
> on
> how quickly the fax machine being dialled answers the call. If it answers
> quickly 1-2 seconds, call goes through OK. If it takes longer than 3
> seconds
> to answer Windows Fax Console gives up waiting and says 'line is busy'.
> Can I configure windows fax console to wait longer for the call to be
> answered ??
> Cheers
> Lawrence
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many
>> common
>> modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers
>> claim
>> they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not
>> apparent
>> during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when
>> you
>> first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will
>> answer
>> an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
>> messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception
>> error."
>> There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the
>> problem
>> might lie.
>>
>> These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
>> enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
>> require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
>> advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is
>> listed
>> on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest
>> drivers.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>
>> "Alison" <alisonmd@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> >I installed the Fax Console that came with Windows XP.
>> >
>> > When I try to send a fax it dials out and comes back that the line is
>> > busy,
>> > I know for a fact that this is a business line
>> > and it should not be busy.
>> >
>> > I think I have it configured correctly, In the Fax Configuration Wizard
>> > under TSID I put my phone number and on the CSID I put my phone number
>> > again.
>> >
>> > Is this correct?
>> >
>> > Thank you
>> > Alison

HI good people. I am also having a problem with the "please hang up and dial
again" message everytime I try to send a fax. I've also done something wrong
because everytime someone calls me and I pick up the phone, I get the fax
noises and have to turn the machine off in order to have a conversation. Any
and all help would be appreciated. Thanks
--
Still alive and kicking.

"Alison" wrote:

> I installed the Fax Console that came with Windows XP.
>
> When I try to send a fax it dials out and comes back that the line is busy,
> I know for a fact that this is a business line
> and it should not be busy.
>
> I think I have it configured correctly, In the Fax Configuration Wizard
> under TSID I put my phone number and on the CSID I put my phone number
> again.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Thank you
> Alison

That message is from the phone company and means your number was dialed
incorrectly. We would have no idea why because you have not stated how you
are sending these faxes, how the numbers are entered, whether you have any
dialing rules set, and what fax software you are using.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"mayjacks" <mayjacks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HI good people. I am also having a problem with the "please hang up and
> dial
> again" message everytime I try to send a fax. I've also done something
> wrong
> because everytime someone calls me and I pick up the phone, I get the fax
> noises and have to turn the machine off in order to have a conversation.
> Any
> and all help would be appreciated. Thanks
> --
> Still alive and kicking.
>

> "Alison" wrote:
>
>> I installed the Fax Console that came with Windows XP.
>>
>> When I try to send a fax it dials out and comes back that the line is
>> busy,
>> I know for a fact that this is a business line
>> and it should not be busy.
>>
>> I think I have it configured correctly, In the Fax Configuration Wizard
>> under TSID I put my phone number and on the CSID I put my phone number
>> again.
>>
>> Is this correct?
>>
>> Thank you
>> Alison

Well, okay, here goes: I am operating Windows XP, am using a Lexmark all in
one unit, and I have tried sending faxes from both the PC and the Lexmark
console and have been more successful with just the Lexmark console.
And, this was working until after I formatted my disc and lreoaded
everything.
mayjacks
--
Still alive and kicking.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> That message is from the phone company and means your number was dialed
> incorrectly. We would have no idea why because you have not stated how you
> are sending these faxes, how the numbers are entered, whether you have any
> dialing rules set, and what fax software you are using.
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "mayjacks" <mayjacks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > HI good people. I am also having a problem with the "please hang up and
> > dial
> > again" message everytime I try to send a fax. I've also done something
> > wrong
> > because everytime someone calls me and I pick up the phone, I get the fax
> > noises and have to turn the machine off in order to have a conversation.
> > Any
> > and all help would be appreciated. Thanks
> > --
> > Still alive and kicking.
> >

> > "Alison" wrote:
> >
> >> I installed the Fax Console that came with Windows XP.
> >>
> >> When I try to send a fax it dials out and comes back that the line is
> >> busy,
> >> I know for a fact that this is a business line
> >> and it should not be busy.
> >>
> >> I think I have it configured correctly, In the Fax Configuration Wizard
> >> under TSID I put my phone number and on the CSID I put my phone number
> >> again.
> >>
> >> Is this correct?
> >>
> >> Thank you
> >> Alison

Then the answers to my questions would be helpful.
--
> Well, okay, here goes: I am operating Windows XP, am using a Lexmark all
> in
> one unit, and I have tried sending faxes from both the PC and the Lexmark
> console and have been more successful with just the Lexmark console.
> And, this was working until after I formatted my disc and lreoaded
> everything.
> mayjacks
> --
> Still alive and kicking.
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> That message is from the phone company and means your number was dialed
>> incorrectly. We would have no idea why because you have not stated how
>> you
>> are sending these faxes, how the numbers are entered, whether you have
>> any
>> dialing rules set, and what fax software you are using.
>>
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "mayjacks" <mayjacks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > HI good people. I am also having a problem with the "please hang up and
>> > dial
>> > again" message everytime I try to send a fax. I've also done something
>> > wrong
>> > because everytime someone calls me and I pick up the phone, I get the
>> > fax
>> > noises and have to turn the machine off in order to have a
>> > conversation.
>> > Any
>> > and all help would be appreciated. Thanks
>> > --
>> > Still alive and kicking.

Well Russ, it looks like this isn't going to work . I thought in my last
posting I had answered your questions. Don't worry about it. I'll find the
solution somewhere else. mayjacks
--
Still alive and kicking.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Then the answers to my questions would be helpful.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "mayjacks" <mayjacks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well, okay, here goes: I am operating Windows XP, am using a Lexmark all
> > in
> > one unit, and I have tried sending faxes from both the PC and the Lexmark
> > console and have been more successful with just the Lexmark console.
> > And, this was working until after I formatted my disc and lreoaded
> > everything.
> > mayjacks
> > --
> > Still alive and kicking.
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> That message is from the phone company and means your number was dialed
> >> incorrectly. We would have no idea why because you have not stated how
> >> you
> >> are sending these faxes, how the numbers are entered, whether you have
> >> any
> >> dialing rules set, and what fax software you are using.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "mayjacks" <mayjacks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

For any troubleshooting, what we would need to know is how you are sending
these faxes, in what format the phone numbers are stored and entered, and
whether you have any dialing rules set or required.
--
> Well Russ, it looks like this isn't going to work . I thought in my last
> posting I had answered your questions. Don't worry about it. I'll find the
> solution somewhere else. mayjacks
> --
> Still alive and kicking.
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Then the answers to my questions would be helpful.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "mayjacks" <mayjacks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Well, okay, here goes: I am operating Windows XP, am using a Lexmark
>> > all
>> > in
>> > one unit, and I have tried sending faxes from both the PC and the
>> > Lexmark
>> > console and have been more successful with just the Lexmark console.
>> > And, this was working until after I formatted my disc and lreoaded
>> > everything.
>> > mayjacks
>> > --
>> > Still alive and kicking.