I have attempted to transfer a HP Photo Smart P1000 printer from a computer
working with Windows 98SE to a computer working with Windows XP (Home). The
original CD is incompatible but I have found a new driver software on the HP
web site, namely ..

3511_enu_w2k_xp_release.exe.

When I attempt to install this software everything appears to work until I
press the final 'Finish' key where a window states the installation was not
completed.

When I go to 'Start' - 'Control' - 'Printers and Faxes' and press 'Add a
printer' a window appears which states..

'Operation could not be completed. The printer spooler service is not
running.'

I have followed the instruction of removing any residual printer files, but
the window

'Operation could not be completed. The printer spooler service is not
running.'

still appears.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Ted

Byte

It is probably in conflict now with the old and new drivers. Disconnect the
printer and delete it in the Control Panel/Printers and Faxes. Turn PC off.
Connect printer and reboot. XP's plug&play feature should show a balloon
that new hardware was found and ask you if you want to install it and click
OK. It will either install or ask you for the drivers and then you can browse
to where you've downloaded the updated drivers for the printer.

"Edward Davies" wrote:

> I have attempted to transfer a HP Photo Smart P1000 printer from a computer
> working with Windows 98SE to a computer working with Windows XP (Home). The
> original CD is incompatible but I have found a new driver software on the HP
> web site, namely ..
>

> 3511_enu_w2k_xp_release.exe.
>

> When I attempt to install this software everything appears to work until I
> press the final 'Finish' key where a window states the installation was not
> completed.
>

> When I go to 'Start' - 'Control' - 'Printers and Faxes' and press 'Add a
> printer' a window appears which states..
>

> 'Operation could not be completed. The printer spooler service is not
> running.'
>

> I have followed the instruction of removing any residual printer files, but
> the window
>

> 'Operation could not be completed. The printer spooler service is not
> running.'
>

> still appears.
>

> Any help would be appreciated.
>

> Regards
>

> Ted

Ensure the print spooler is started....

If you receive a 1068 error on trying to start then see steps 15 thru 17 at
Bruce Sanderson's website at:
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging