bgt123

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Hey everyone,

So...I've got a question about running Guild Wars 2. I need to know if I should use bootcamp and Windows 7 to run it on my late 2009 iMac, or try to run it on my 2010 Toshiba laptop.

Mac Specs:

Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB
Software: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

Laptop Specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom™ II Triple Core Processor P820
Memory: 4GB DDR3
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4250
Software: Windows 7

I don't really know what to do. I've already been told that the iMac might be able to run it, but with major speed issues. I do not have the money to purchase or build a computer right now, so its basically asking for the better of two pretty bad choices.

I don't care much about running it at max settings, I'd be fine with running it at low. I just want to be able to play this game with my friends, none of us are hard core pvp players or gamers so I don't need top-of-the-line performance.

Thanks for the advice.

I would be open to looking into upgrading the laptop if possible, just as long as it doesn't cost much.

P.S. Sorry for being all over the forums about this issue. This is the first computer game I've been excited to play, I just want to make sure I don't waste my money on a game I cannot play. :)

sharpshooter_992

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Well I looked into the game a bit and found this, the minimum system requirements:

Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or better
NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI Radeon™ X1800, Intel HD 3000 or better (256MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
25 GB available HDD space
Broadband Internet connection
Keyboard and mouse

From the looks of it, your Toshiba should do well in it. But just to be on the safe side before you get the game, head on over to this website: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx
And find the game in the dropdown menu. That should show you.

Cheers! And good luck :)

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Wait

The toshiba will not run it very well. The Mobility 4250m is a real piece of crap, about equivalent to the HD 2000. The HD 3000 is about twice as powerful and (3500 pts in 3d mark 06 compared to 1500 pts) and is listed as the minimum. You might get 15 fps on minimum at 720p. I dunno if that is what you consider playable

bgt123

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Thanks for the input, I put gw2 on my toshiba anyways. It runs t fine. Its not great, but it is playable at minimum settings with very little lag, only in wvw or when an elementalist is around.

I am hoping for an upgrade soon, but it seems as though Anet has done a great job optimizing their game.