Can't send or receive faxes

a b α HP
March 6, 2005 3:04:34 PM

I have an HP Compaq Presario with Windows XP, which was installed by HP, a
cable Internet connection, and a telephone modem shown as “Agere Win Modem“.
I have installed and configured the Windows XP fax component, but I cannot
get it to function properly. When I send a fax to a number that is on at all
times the Fax Monitor shows the dialingof the number, and then 1 minute and 7
seconds later it shows "There is no answer", and then almost immediately it
shows "The attempt to send the fax failed". When someone attempts to send me
a fax my telephone rings twice. The Fax Monitor shows "Ringing", "Ringing",
then "The call was answered", and then "An error occurred while receiving the
fax". I have followed, without success, the appropriate steps in:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321639 titled
How to: Troubleshoot Common Fax Problems in Microsoft Windows XP. Tests of
the telephone modem in PC Doctor show that the modem successfully passes all
tests.
Technicians with HP have not been able to solve my problem. Does anyone
have any suggestions? Thank you

More about : send receive faxes

Anonymous
a b α HP
March 6, 2005 5:10:43 PM

Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not
apparent during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent
when you
first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
might lie.

These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

"dajudge" <dajudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP Compaq Presario with Windows XP, which was installed by HP, a
> cable Internet connection, and a telephone modem shown as "Agere Win Modem".
> I have installed and configured the Windows XP fax component, but I cannot
> get it to function properly. When I send a fax to a number that is on at
> all
> times the Fax Monitor shows the dialingof the number, and then 1 minute
> and 7
> seconds later it shows "There is no answer", and then almost immediately
> it
> shows "The attempt to send the fax failed". When someone attempts to send
> me
> a fax my telephone rings twice. The Fax Monitor shows "Ringing",
> "Ringing",
> then "The call was answered", and then "An error occurred while receiving
> the
> fax". I have followed, without success, the appropriate steps in:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321639 titled
> How to: Troubleshoot Common Fax Problems in Microsoft Windows XP. Tests
> of
> the telephone modem in PC Doctor show that the modem successfully passes
> all
> tests.
> Technicians with HP have not been able to solve my problem. Does anyone
> have any suggestions? Thank you
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 6, 2005 7:07:45 PM

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm#_Toc88835142

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"dajudge" <dajudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP Compaq Presario with Windows XP, which was installed by HP, a
> cable Internet connection, and a telephone modem shown as "Agere Win Modem".
> I have installed and configured the Windows XP fax component, but I cannot
> get it to function properly. When I send a fax to a number that is on at
> all
> times the Fax Monitor shows the dialingof the number, and then 1 minute
> and 7
> seconds later it shows "There is no answer", and then almost immediately
> it
> shows "The attempt to send the fax failed". When someone attempts to send
> me
> a fax my telephone rings twice. The Fax Monitor shows "Ringing",
> "Ringing",
> then "The call was answered", and then "An error occurred while receiving
> the
> fax". I have followed, without success, the appropriate steps in:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321639 titled
> How to: Troubleshoot Common Fax Problems in Microsoft Windows XP. Tests
> of
> the telephone modem in PC Doctor show that the modem successfully passes
> all
> tests.
> Technicians with HP have not been able to solve my problem. Does anyone
> have any suggestions? Thank you
March 7, 2005 2:43:05 PM

You have an alternative, attach it to an email and send it. The recipient can
retrieve it at their time and convenience.

!