Problem faxing with SBC DSL connection

When I try to send a fax I get a message that the phone is busy. Does this
mean that I need to disconnect from SBC DSL in order to send a fax? I can't
figure out how to do so without turning off my computer. Any help will be
greatly appreciated. Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about problem faxing connection

    If your broadband service is DSL over your telephone line, sending a fax can
    be done two
    ways:

    1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    telephone to the DSL line, then connect an analog fax modem to the line
    through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, so does your
    local Radio Shack store:

    http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)

    2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:

    http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

    "Lolobeansmama" <Lolobeansmama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to send a fax I get a message that the phone is busy. Does
    > this
    > mean that I need to disconnect from SBC DSL in order to send a fax? I
    > can't
    > figure out how to do so without turning off my computer. Any help will be
    > greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Thanks for your help.

    "Hal Hostetler [MVP-S/U]" wrote:

    > If your broadband service is DSL over your telephone line, sending a fax can
    > be done two
    > ways:
    >
    > 1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    > telephone to the DSL line, then connect an analog fax modem to the line
    > through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, so does your
    > local Radio Shack store:
    >
    > http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)
    >
    > 2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:
    >
    > http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    > Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    > http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    > FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?
    >
    > Hal
    > --
    > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
    > Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    >
    > "Lolobeansmama" <Lolobeansmama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I try to send a fax I get a message that the phone is busy. Does
    > > this
    > > mean that I need to disconnect from SBC DSL in order to send a fax? I
    > > can't
    > > figure out how to do so without turning off my computer. Any help will be
    > > greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Bellsouth provide 4 phone line filters each with a DSL and phone line so I
    fax out of my PC and also a stand alone fax everyday so you can also after a
    little reading and configuring.
    --
    Bellsoutth offered a free Westell DSL Modem and CompUSA had a Netgear
    Wireless Router for $10 after Rebate then you connect the 3 Ethernet LAN

    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6323
    Instructions for setting up a BellSouth configured Westell 2100/2200/6100
    (Models A90-210030-04, B90-220030-04, B90-610030-06 and C90-610030-06,
    respectively)

    Regards, Gary 'Doc' Adams in Louisiana

    CTLouisiana @ msn comREMOVE
    http://computerteachers.digital-mall-online.com/
    ~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~

    "Lolobeansmama" <Lolobeansmama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to send a fax I get a message that the phone is busy. Does
    this
    > mean that I need to disconnect from SBC DSL in order to send a fax? I
    can't
    > figure out how to do so without turning off my computer. Any help will be
    > greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    I have read numerous posts regarding my problem which is I cannot send a fax
    because of being on DSL. I have the following:

    Phone connected to dsl filter which connects to splitter which connects to
    wall phone jack. Computer connects to DSL modem which connects to splitter
    which connects to wall phone jack.

    It has been suggested to me (I am not very knowledgeable regarding
    computers) to "plug phone into the other jack in the back of the computer
    that has a picture of a phone next to it then the line from the wall could go
    into the line jack on the back of the computer."

    They failed to mention what would happen, if anything, with the filter, DSL
    modem, etc connections.

    I notice your suggestion in this post about the filter - would that be the
    same filter I already have with the DSL? And, do you agree with the above
    suggested re-routing of the cables, etc?

    Thanks for your patience and help with this computer illiterate female (who
    is otherwise intelligent and beautiful).

    "Hal Hostetler [MVP-S/U]" wrote:

    > If your broadband service is DSL over your telephone line, sending a fax can
    > be done two
    > ways:
    >
    > 1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    > telephone to the DSL line, then connect an analog fax modem to the line
    > through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, so does your
    > local Radio Shack store:
    >
    > http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)
    >
    > 2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:
    >
    > http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    > Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    > http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    > FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?
    >
    > Hal
    > --
    > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
    > Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    >
    > "Lolobeansmama" <Lolobeansmama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I try to send a fax I get a message that the phone is busy. Does
    > > this
    > > mean that I need to disconnect from SBC DSL in order to send a fax? I
    > > can't
    > > figure out how to do so without turning off my computer. Any help will be
    > > greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Unlike most dial-up modems, a DSL modem is not capable
    of connecting to fax machines, so you cannot send or receive faxes
    directly.
    In order to send and receives faxes, you'll need a conventional fax modem
    with a live telephone line attached. You cannot use broadband unless you
    use a web-base fax service, such as eFax:
    http://www2.efax.com/en/efax/twa/page/homePage?rqcp=1

    Or consider purchasing a regular fax machine and connect it to your phone
    line.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "BARB" wrote:

    | I have read numerous posts regarding my problem which is I cannot send a fax
    | because of being on DSL. I have the following:
    |
    | Phone connected to dsl filter which connects to splitter which connects to
    | wall phone jack. Computer connects to DSL modem which connects to splitter
    | which connects to wall phone jack.
    |
    | It has been suggested to me (I am not very knowledgeable regarding
    | computers) to "plug phone into the other jack in the back of the computer
    | that has a picture of a phone next to it then the line from the wall could go
    | into the line jack on the back of the computer."
    |
    | They failed to mention what would happen, if anything, with the filter, DSL
    | modem, etc connections.
    |
    | I notice your suggestion in this post about the filter - would that be the
    | same filter I already have with the DSL? And, do you agree with the above
    | suggested re-routing of the cables, etc?
    |
    | Thanks for your patience and help with this computer illiterate female (who
    | is otherwise intelligent and beautiful).
    |
    | "Hal Hostetler [MVP-S/U]" wrote:
    |
    | > If your broadband service is DSL over your telephone line, sending a fax can
    | > be done two
    | > ways:
    | >
    | > 1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    | > telephone to the DSL line, then connect an analog fax modem to the line
    | > through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, so does your
    | > local Radio Shack store:

    http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)

    | > 2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:
    | >
    | > http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    | > Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    | > http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    | > FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?
    | >
    | > Hal
    | > --
    | > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    | > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
    | > http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
    | > KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
    | > Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    | >
    | > "Lolobeansmama" <Lolobeansmama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > > When I try to send a fax I get a message that the phone is busy. Does
    | > > this
    | > > mean that I need to disconnect from SBC DSL in order to send a fax? I
    | > > can't
    | > > figure out how to do so without turning off my computer. Any help will be
    | > > greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Thank you for your response, however as I have stated I am not a very good
    computer person and will need direct and specific answers to my questions
    which I will repeat here:

    1) Is the filter MVP Hal Hostetler mentioned in his reply below the same as
    the filter I already have with my DSL service that is already plugged in with
    my phone line?
    2) Is the re-routing of the cable and phone line hook-ups, suggested to me
    as outlined below, a solution to the problem? If so, what about the filter,
    DSL modem box, etc?
    3) New question: You say I will need a conventional fax modem with a live
    telephone line attached. Isn't there such a fax modem already installed in
    my system since the fax program is there? And the live telephone line I have
    since I have phone service. Perhaps the re-routing of the cables/phone lines
    as mentioned is a possibility. If so, I need step by step instructions to do
    that.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Unlike most dial-up modems, a DSL modem is not capable
    > of connecting to fax machines, so you cannot send or receive faxes
    > directly.
    > In order to send and receives faxes, you'll need a conventional fax modem
    > with a live telephone line attached. You cannot use broadband unless you
    > use a web-base fax service, such as eFax:
    > http://www2.efax.com/en/efax/twa/page/homePage?rqcp=1
    >
    > Or consider purchasing a regular fax machine and connect it to your phone
    > line.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "BARB" wrote:
    >
    > | I have read numerous posts regarding my problem which is I cannot send a fax
    > | because of being on DSL. I have the following:
    > |
    > | Phone connected to dsl filter which connects to splitter which connects to
    > | wall phone jack. Computer connects to DSL modem which connects to splitter
    > | which connects to wall phone jack.
    > |
    > | It has been suggested to me (I am not very knowledgeable regarding
    > | computers) to "plug phone into the other jack in the back of the computer
    > | that has a picture of a phone next to it then the line from the wall could go
    > | into the line jack on the back of the computer."
    > |
    > | They failed to mention what would happen, if anything, with the filter, DSL
    > | modem, etc connections.
    > |
    > | I notice your suggestion in this post about the filter - would that be the
    > | same filter I already have with the DSL? And, do you agree with the above
    > | suggested re-routing of the cables, etc?
    > |
    > | Thanks for your patience and help with this computer illiterate female (who
    > | is otherwise intelligent and beautiful).
    > |
    > | "Hal Hostetler [MVP-S/U]" wrote:
    > |
    > | > If your broadband service is DSL over your telephone line, sending a fax can
    > | > be done two
    > | > ways:
    > | >
    > | > 1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    > | > telephone to the DSL line, then connect an analog fax modem to the line
    > | > through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, so does your
    > | > local Radio Shack store:
    > | >

    > http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)
    > | >
    > | > 2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:
    > | >
    > | > http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    > | > Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    > | > http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    > | > FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?
    > | >
    > | > Hal
    > | > --
    > | > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > | > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
    > | > http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
    > | > KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
    > | > Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    > | >
    > | > "Lolobeansmama" <Lolobeansmama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Thank you Lem for your reply. I didn't know that there was a problem with
    too long of a post response. Even if it was too long, it was very helpful to
    me.

    BUT, now my computer is working very, very, very slow on the internet and I
    get kicked off, too. Your assistance with this resulting problem will be
    appreciated.

Fax Connection DSL Windows XP