Windows hangs when trying to receive fax

I've been using Faxconsole under winXP SP2 for a while. It always worked. Now
when I try to receive a fax, the computer picks up and immidiately hangs.
When I uninstall and reinstall the modem (Intel 537 wth latest drivers) and
faxconsole it works once. After restarting the computer it won;t work again.
Can anyone help?
8 answers Last reply
More about windows hangs receive

    After installing the new drivers did you click Apply and then OK to set
    and save the settings? It seems your PC is reverting back to the old
    drivers when booting. The old drivers have been automatically saved
    in case you want to roll them back.

    "Godfried" wrote:

    > I've been using Faxconsole under winXP SP2 for a while. It always worked. Now
    > when I try to receive a fax, the computer picks up and immidiately hangs.
    > When I uninstall and reinstall the modem (Intel 537 wth latest drivers) and
    > faxconsole it works once. After restarting the computer it won;t work again.
    > Can anyone help?

    During reinstallation of the drivers I saw that there were no newer drivers,
    so I have been using the newest drivers all along. I reinstalled to make sure
    it was not a problem with the driver. When I look in system it confirms that
    I still use the newest driver.
    I've found a workaround that seems to work for the moment. After starting
    windows I first send a fax before I receive one. Somehow now I can receive
    faxes untill I have to restart again.
    Help would still be appreciated.

    "Byte" wrote:

    > After installing the new drivers did you click Apply and then OK to set
    > and save the settings? It seems your PC is reverting back to the old
    > drivers when booting. The old drivers have been automatically saved
    > in case you want to roll them back.
    >
    > "Godfried" wrote:
    >
    > > I've been using Faxconsole under winXP SP2 for a while. It always worked. Now
    > > when I try to receive a fax, the computer picks up and immidiately hangs.
    > > When I uninstall and reinstall the modem (Intel 537 wth latest drivers) and
    > > faxconsole it works once. After restarting the computer it won;t work again.
    > > Can anyone help?

    Examine the startup type for the Fax Service after a reboot. What does it
    say?
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Godfried" <Godfried@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > During reinstallation of the drivers I saw that there were no newer
    > drivers,
    > so I have been using the newest drivers all along. I reinstalled to make
    > sure
    > it was not a problem with the driver. When I look in system it confirms
    > that
    > I still use the newest driver.
    > I've found a workaround that seems to work for the moment. After starting
    > windows I first send a fax before I receive one. Somehow now I can receive
    > faxes untill I have to restart again.
    > Help would still be appreciated.
    >
    > "Byte" wrote:
    >
    >> After installing the new drivers did you click Apply and then OK to set
    >> and save the settings? It seems your PC is reverting back to the old
    >> drivers when booting. The old drivers have been automatically saved
    >> in case you want to roll them back.
    >>
    >> "Godfried" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I've been using Faxconsole under winXP SP2 for a while. It always
    >> > worked. Now
    >> > when I try to receive a fax, the computer picks up and immidiately
    >> > hangs.
    >> > When I uninstall and reinstall the modem (Intel 537 wth latest drivers)
    >> > and
    >> > faxconsole it works once. After restarting the computer it won;t work
    >> > again.
    >> > Can anyone help?

    Sorry, but I don't know where to find this info. I just open fax console and
    it's ready to send and receive.

    Godfried

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > Examine the startup type for the Fax Service after a reboot. What does it
    > say?
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Godfried" <Godfried@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > During reinstallation of the drivers I saw that there were no newer
    > > drivers,
    > > so I have been using the newest drivers all along. I reinstalled to make
    > > sure
    > > it was not a problem with the driver. When I look in system it confirms
    > > that
    > > I still use the newest driver.
    > > I've found a workaround that seems to work for the moment. After starting
    > > windows I first send a fax before I receive one. Somehow now I can receive
    > > faxes untill I have to restart again.
    > > Help would still be appreciated.
    > >
    > > "Byte" wrote:
    > >
    > >> After installing the new drivers did you click Apply and then OK to set
    > >> and save the settings? It seems your PC is reverting back to the old
    > >> drivers when booting. The old drivers have been automatically saved
    > >> in case you want to roll them back.

    Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

    --
    > Sorry, but I don't know where to find this info. I just open fax console
    > and
    > it's ready to send and receive.
    >
    > Godfried
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> Examine the startup type for the Fax Service after a reboot. What does it
    >> say?
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "Godfried" <Godfried@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > During reinstallation of the drivers I saw that there were no newer
    >> > drivers,
    >> > so I have been using the newest drivers all along. I reinstalled to
    >> > make
    >> > sure
    >> > it was not a problem with the driver. When I look in system it confirms
    >> > that
    >> > I still use the newest driver.
    >> > I've found a workaround that seems to work for the moment. After
    >> > starting
    >> > windows I first send a fax before I receive one. Somehow now I can
    >> > receive
    >> > faxes untill I have to restart again.
    >> > Help would still be appreciated.

    The fax service states that C:\WINDOWS\system32\fxssvc.exe is automaticaly
    started.
    loged on as Local System account.
    Recovery first/second/subsequent failures; Take no action. Rest fail count
    after 0 days.
    Dependencies Print spooler - Remote Procedure Call
    Remote Procedure Call
    Telephony - Plug and play
    - Remote Procedure Call
    That's all I can find
    Godfried
    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
    >
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Godfried" <Godfried@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Sorry, but I don't know where to find this info. I just open fax console
    > > and
    > > it's ready to send and receive.
    > >
    > > Godfried
    > >
    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Examine the startup type for the Fax Service after a reboot. What does it
    > >> say?
    > >> --
    > >> Russ Valentine
    > >> [MVP-Outlook]
    > >> "Godfried" <Godfried@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Those are all correct.
    Any ideas on what produced the problem?
    I suspect this is another in the seemingly endless list of failures of the
    Fax Service that Microsoft cannot solve. Further investigation will require
    PSS and debug logging which is a lot of work. I've sent many such logs to
    Microsoft but nothing has ever come of them so far.
    --
    > The fax service states that C:\WINDOWS\system32\fxssvc.exe is automaticaly
    > started.
    > loged on as Local System account.
    > Recovery first/second/subsequent failures; Take no action. Rest fail count
    > after 0 days.
    > Dependencies Print spooler - Remote Procedure Call
    > Remote Procedure Call
    > Telephony - Plug and play
    > - Remote Procedure Call
    > That's all I can find
    > Godfried
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
    >>
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "Godfried" <Godfried@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Sorry, but I don't know where to find this info. I just open fax
    >> > console
    >> > and
    >> > it's ready to send and receive.
    >> >
    >> > Godfried

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Bought myself a new modem at a computer show, suddenly it all works. THANK
    YOU MICROSOFT

Fax Computers Microsoft Windows XP