printing problems

a b α HP
March 7, 2005 5:15:02 PM

I HAVE A HP DESKJET 660C PRINTER AND IT WONT PRINT
IT HAS INK ,AND PAPER
EVERY PAGE IT PRINTS IS BLANK

More about : printing problems

Anonymous
a b α HP
March 8, 2005 1:58:04 AM

Uninstall and reinstall...

Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"LISA" <LISA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I HAVE A HP DESKJET 660C PRINTER AND IT WONT PRINT
> IT HAS INK ,AND PAPER
> EVERY PAGE IT PRINTS IS BLANK

Anonymous
a b α HP
March 9, 2005 11:28:10 PM

I posted a similar message several months ago now...and since then I've seen
several people reporting the same problem here and all are given the same
advice. I followed that advice and tried several other suggestions found at
various sites and still my printing problem persists. I can only assume
that this is a Microsoft bug introduced sometime last fall.

My problem (Windows XP Home - SP2, DeskJet 815C - tried both parallel and
USB connection): text only pages do not print from any application (printer
produces blank page); text and graphic or graphic only pages print just fine
(i.e.. a printer test page, or from applications). HP has no special
printer drivers for this printer; they say to use the Windows supplied
driver.

(I was able to work-around in MS Word by inserting a 1 pixel graphic in the
header area of normal.dot.)

So Windows bug or not?

Vince McGowan
vince.mcgowan@comcast.net

> Uninstall and reinstall...
>
> http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20One.htm
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> "LISA" <LISA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I HAVE A HP DESKJET 660C PRINTER AND IT WONT PRINT
>> IT HAS INK ,AND PAPER
>> EVERY PAGE IT PRINTS IS BLANK

Related resources
April 11, 2005 9:52:03 AM

I concur with Vince. I am having the same problem since using SP2. Although
graphics don't work for me either. The test pages using HPs diagnostic
software work, but nothing Windows related will print, including the Windows
Test Page.

Kinda useless to have the same person keep posting "uninstall and reinstall"
where I haven't seen that advice help anyone out yet.

Does anyone have any real answers?

"Vince McGowan" wrote:

> I posted a similar message several months ago now...and since then I've seen
> several people reporting the same problem here and all are given the same
> advice. I followed that advice and tried several other suggestions found at
> various sites and still my printing problem persists. I can only assume
> that this is a Microsoft bug introduced sometime last fall.
>
> My problem (Windows XP Home - SP2, DeskJet 815C - tried both parallel and
> USB connection): text only pages do not print from any application (printer
> produces blank page); text and graphic or graphic only pages print just fine
> (i.e.. a printer test page, or from applications). HP has no special
> printer drivers for this printer; they say to use the Windows supplied
> driver.
>
> (I was able to work-around in MS Word by inserting a 1 pixel graphic in the
> header area of normal.dot.)
>
> So Windows bug or not?
>
> Vince McGowan
> vince.mcgowan@comcast.net
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> > Uninstall and reinstall...
> >
> > http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20One.htm
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > Printing & Imaging
> >
> > "LISA" <LISA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I HAVE A HP DESKJET 660C PRINTER AND IT WONT PRINT
> >> IT HAS INK ,AND PAPER
> >> EVERY PAGE IT PRINTS IS BLANK

Anonymous
a b α HP
April 11, 2005 10:39:24 PM

This is a really ancient printer. What are the LPT settings in your BIOS?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I concur with Vince. I am having the same problem since using SP2.
>Although
> graphics don't work for me either. The test pages using HPs diagnostic
> software work, but nothing Windows related will print, including the
> Windows
> Test Page.
>
> Kinda useless to have the same person keep posting "uninstall and
> reinstall"
> where I haven't seen that advice help anyone out yet.
>
> Does anyone have any real answers?
>
> "Vince McGowan" wrote:
>
>> I posted a similar message several months ago now...and since then I've
>> seen
>> several people reporting the same problem here and all are given the same
>> advice. I followed that advice and tried several other suggestions found
>> at
>> various sites and still my printing problem persists. I can only assume
>> that this is a Microsoft bug introduced sometime last fall.
>>
>> My problem (Windows XP Home - SP2, DeskJet 815C - tried both parallel and
>> USB connection): text only pages do not print from any application
>> (printer
>> produces blank page); text and graphic or graphic only pages print just
>> fine
>> (i.e.. a printer test page, or from applications). HP has no special
>> printer drivers for this printer; they say to use the Windows supplied
>> driver.
>>
>> (I was able to work-around in MS Word by inserting a 1 pixel graphic in
>> the
>> header area of normal.dot.)
>>
>> So Windows bug or not?
>>
>> Vince McGowan
>> vince.mcgowan@comcast.net
>>

>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> > Uninstall and reinstall...
>> >
>> > http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20One.htm
>> > --
>> > Cari (MS-MVP)
>> > Printing & Imaging
>> >
>> > "LISA" <LISA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

April 11, 2005 11:28:02 PM

1) These are USB printers not parallel.
2) I am not using the same printer, and from the posts I have read the same
problem is occurring for all kinds of USB printers
3) The printers can print as demonstrated by various ways. Mine prints from
the PC using the software diagnostic tools, but not from the windows test
page....hmmm wonder where the problem is?

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> This is a really ancient printer. What are the LPT settings in your BIOS?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I concur with Vince. I am having the same problem since using SP2.
> >Although
> > graphics don't work for me either. The test pages using HPs diagnostic
> > software work, but nothing Windows related will print, including the
> > Windows
> > Test Page.
> >
> > Kinda useless to have the same person keep posting "uninstall and
> > reinstall"
> > where I haven't seen that advice help anyone out yet.
> >
> > Does anyone have any real answers?
> >
> > "Vince McGowan" wrote:
> >
> >> I posted a similar message several months ago now...and since then I've
> >> seen
> >> several people reporting the same problem here and all are given the same
> >> advice. I followed that advice and tried several other suggestions found
> >> at
> >> various sites and still my printing problem persists. I can only assume
> >> that this is a Microsoft bug introduced sometime last fall.
> >>
> >> My problem (Windows XP Home - SP2, DeskJet 815C - tried both parallel and
> >> USB connection): text only pages do not print from any application
> >> (printer
> >> produces blank page); text and graphic or graphic only pages print just
> >> fine
> >> (i.e.. a printer test page, or from applications). HP has no special
> >> printer drivers for this printer; they say to use the Windows supplied
> >> driver.
> >>
> >> (I was able to work-around in MS Word by inserting a 1 pixel graphic in
> >> the
> >> header area of normal.dot.)
> >>
> >> So Windows bug or not?
> >>
> >> Vince McGowan
> >> vince.mcgowan@comcast.net
> >>

> >> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message

April 12, 2005 1:58:02 AM

I am seeing the same identical problem -- just prints blank pages from any
application, including the windows test page. But it will print the test and
diagnostic pages from the HP Toolbox. Printer is an HP PSC2110, the computer
is an eMachine T6212 -- brand new -- with WinXP Home SP2. The printer worked
with no problem in my old machine which was also WinXP Home SP2. The problem
occurs with both the original printer drivers, and the latest updated
drivers. My next step is to uninstall the print driver, and then reinstall
after a clean boot -- including disabling Antivirus. Not hopeful that this
will work, but it is worth a try. If anyone has better ideas, I, too, would
appreciate some help.

"Bill" wrote:

> 1) These are USB printers not parallel.
> 2) I am not using the same printer, and from the posts I have read the same
> problem is occurring for all kinds of USB printers
> 3) The printers can print as demonstrated by various ways. Mine prints from
> the PC using the software diagnostic tools, but not from the windows test
> page....hmmm wonder where the problem is?
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > This is a really ancient printer. What are the LPT settings in your BIOS?
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > Printing & Imaging
> >
> > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> >
> > "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I concur with Vince. I am having the same problem since using SP2.
> > >Although
> > > graphics don't work for me either. The test pages using HPs diagnostic
> > > software work, but nothing Windows related will print, including the
> > > Windows
> > > Test Page.
> > >
> > > Kinda useless to have the same person keep posting "uninstall and
> > > reinstall"
> > > where I haven't seen that advice help anyone out yet.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any real answers?

Anonymous
a b α HP
April 12, 2005 2:49:24 AM

About 98% of printer problems are caused by printer drivers... whether they
get corrupted or the wrong ones get installed to start with or the driver is
'broken' by other means. Uninstalling and reinstalling COMPLETELY usually
cures the problem.

Is this installation a clean install of XP. What antivirus software and
firewall software are you running. When exactly did the problem first
occur.

I have six USB printers here and none have any problems. I also have an LPT
printer with no problem.

Does the problem completely disappear and never recur if SP2 is not
installed.

Are these the latest drivers available for the Deskjet600. If you give us
something to work with instead of just saying it won't print, it would be
more helpful.

Exactly what happens when you print.... are there any error messages in the
Event Log? Exactly which applications do you try to print from? And which
versions of the applications? Are ALL Windows updates applied? Are all
updates for all the other applications from which you print applied?
--

> 1) These are USB printers not parallel.
> 2) I am not using the same printer, and from the posts I have read the
> same
> problem is occurring for all kinds of USB printers
> 3) The printers can print as demonstrated by various ways. Mine prints
> from
> the PC using the software diagnostic tools, but not from the windows test
> page....hmmm wonder where the problem is?
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> This is a really ancient printer. What are the LPT settings in your
>> BIOS?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>
>> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>>
>> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I concur with Vince. I am having the same problem since using SP2.
>> >Although
>> > graphics don't work for me either. The test pages using HPs diagnostic
>> > software work, but nothing Windows related will print, including the
>> > Windows
>> > Test Page.
>> >
>> > Kinda useless to have the same person keep posting "uninstall and
>> > reinstall"
>> > where I haven't seen that advice help anyone out yet.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any real answers?

April 12, 2005 10:09:01 AM

It is definitely the print drivers, but specifically it is the print drivers
under SP2.
Most recent drivers from HP are install. In my case the Deskjet 5550, last
updated in 2003 from HP, version 7.1

When printing to the same printer using the default 550C driver that comes
with Windows it prints, so the problem is the HP driver, but the 550C driver
does not do photos/high quality, so I am stuck.

All windoze update have been applied. Absolutely nothing in the event logs.
From printing from anywhere in windoze all it does is spit out a blank page.
Printing from the HP diag tools it does print a the test/diag pages.

Files with data DO get created in the spool directory. So data is being
generated. I am thinking it may have more to do the USB part. I am going to
try the parallel port tonight.

I understand that it is the HP drivers, but seeing this problem has happened
to many people across all different brands, obviously something changed on
the windoze side to break all these drivers that were previouslty working.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> About 98% of printer problems are caused by printer drivers... whether they
> get corrupted or the wrong ones get installed to start with or the driver is
> 'broken' by other means. Uninstalling and reinstalling COMPLETELY usually
> cures the problem.
>
> Is this installation a clean install of XP. What antivirus software and
> firewall software are you running. When exactly did the problem first
> occur.
>
> I have six USB printers here and none have any problems. I also have an LPT
> printer with no problem.
>
> Does the problem completely disappear and never recur if SP2 is not
> installed.
>
> Are these the latest drivers available for the Deskjet600. If you give us
> something to work with instead of just saying it won't print, it would be
> more helpful.
>
> Exactly what happens when you print.... are there any error messages in the
> Event Log? Exactly which applications do you try to print from? And which
> versions of the applications? Are ALL Windows updates applied? Are all
> updates for all the other applications from which you print applied?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > 1) These are USB printers not parallel.
> > 2) I am not using the same printer, and from the posts I have read the
> > same
> > problem is occurring for all kinds of USB printers
> > 3) The printers can print as demonstrated by various ways. Mine prints
> > from
> > the PC using the software diagnostic tools, but not from the windows test
> > page....hmmm wonder where the problem is?
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> This is a really ancient printer. What are the LPT settings in your
> >> BIOS?
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Printing & Imaging
> >>
> >> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> >>
> >> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b α HP
April 12, 2005 3:35:02 PM

Are they USB1.1 or 2.0 ports? Do they work correctly with all other
devices? Are they on the motherboard or a PCI card or a hub (and if hub,
powered or unpowered)?

Let us know if it changes on LPT.
--

> [...]
>> which
>> versions of the applications? Are ALL Windows updates applied? Are all
>> updates for all the other applications from which you print applied?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>
>> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>>
>> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > 1) These are USB printers not parallel.
>> > 2) I am not using the same printer, and from the posts I have read the
>> > same
>> > problem is occurring for all kinds of USB printers
>> > 3) The printers can print as demonstrated by various ways. Mine prints
>> > from
>> > the PC using the software diagnostic tools, but not from the windows
>> > test
>> > page....hmmm wonder where the problem is?

April 12, 2005 6:40:57 PM

Just to verify, I am seeing the identical problem that Bill reports (see my
print files in the print spooler, etc. In my case, the USB ports are 2.0, on
the motherboard, and they do work correctly with other USB hardware.

Bill -- have you tried a clean install of the device drivers per my previous
post? I intend to do that, but am on the road this week and it will have to
wait few days. Also, have you contacted HP Customer Service about the
problem? They might be able to recommend an alternative, equally effective
driver.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> [...]
> >> printer with no problem.
> >>
> >> Does the problem completely disappear and never recur if SP2 is not
> >> installed.
> >>
> >> Are these the latest drivers available for the Deskjet600. If you give
> >> us
> >> something to work with instead of just saying it won't print, it would be
> >> more helpful.
> >>
> >> Exactly what happens when you print.... are there any error messages in
> >> the
> >> Event Log? Exactly which applications do you try to print from? And
> >> which
> >> versions of the applications? Are ALL Windows updates applied? Are all
> >> updates for all the other applications from which you print applied?
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Printing & Imaging
> >>
> >> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP

April 12, 2005 10:37:01 PM

All USB 2.0 ports, but 1.1 support turned on. All running off the
motherboard. ALl other devices (ok 2) work fine.
LPT produced the same results.

I did work with HP, that is when I tested the 550C drivers and they worked.

I am running out of ideas. I have another PC that was upgraded to SP2 which
seems to work, as opposed to this one which was from a CD that had SP2
bundled.

I could use another printer in the house, but hate to buy a new one just so
it wont work either.

Looks like Lexmark and Cannon both had this issue but addressed it with new
drivers. HP doesn't seem to know the problem exists yet.

"Jeff" wrote:

> Just to verify, I am seeing the identical problem that Bill reports (see my
> print files in the print spooler, etc. In my case, the USB ports are 2.0, on
> the motherboard, and they do work correctly with other USB hardware.
>
> Bill -- have you tried a clean install of the device drivers per my previous
> post? I intend to do that, but am on the road this week and it will have to
> wait few days. Also, have you contacted HP Customer Service about the
> problem? They might be able to recommend an alternative, equally effective
> driver.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Are they USB1.1 or 2.0 ports? Do they work correctly with all other
> > devices? Are they on the motherboard or a PCI card or a hub (and if hub,
> > powered or unpowered)?
> >
> > Let us know if it changes on LPT.
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > Printing & Imaging
> >
> > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> >
> > "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > It is definitely the print drivers, but specifically it is the print
> > > drivers
> > > under SP2.
> > > Most recent drivers from HP are install. In my case the Deskjet 5550,
> > > last
> > > updated in 2003 from HP, version 7.1
> > >
> > > When printing to the same printer using the default 550C driver that comes
> > > with Windows it prints, so the problem is the HP driver, but the 550C
> > > driver
> > > does not do photos/high quality, so I am stuck.
> > >
> > > All windoze update have been applied. Absolutely nothing in the event
> > > logs.
> > > From printing from anywhere in windoze all it does is spit out a blank
> > > page.
> > > Printing from the HP diag tools it does print a the test/diag pages.
> > >
> > > Files with data DO get created in the spool directory. So data is being
> > > generated. I am thinking it may have more to do the USB part. I am going
> > > try the parallel port tonight.
> > >
> > > I understand that it is the HP drivers, but seeing this problem has
> > > happened
> > > to many people across all different brands, obviously something changed on
> > > the windoze side to break all these drivers that were previouslty working.

Anonymous
a b α HP
April 13, 2005 12:31:35 AM

Are all these printers All in One units?
--

> All USB 2.0 ports, but 1.1 support turned on. All running off the
> motherboard. ALl other devices (ok 2) work fine.
> LPT produced the same results.
>
> I did work with HP, that is when I tested the 550C drivers and they
> worked.
>
> I am running out of ideas. I have another PC that was upgraded to SP2
> which
> seems to work, as opposed to this one which was from a CD that had SP2
> bundled.
>
> I could use another printer in the house, but hate to buy a new one just
> so
> it wont work either.
>
> Looks like Lexmark and Cannon both had this issue but addressed it with
> new
> drivers. HP doesn't seem to know the problem exists yet.
>
> "Jeff" wrote:
>
>> Just to verify, I am seeing the identical problem that Bill reports (see
>> my
>> print files in the print spooler, etc. In my case, the USB ports are 2.0,
>> on
>> the motherboard, and they do work correctly with other USB hardware.
>>
>> Bill -- have you tried a clean install of the device drivers per my
>> previous
>> post? I intend to do that, but am on the road this week and it will have
>> wait few days. Also, have you contacted HP Customer Service about the
>> problem? They might be able to recommend an alternative, equally
>> effective
>> driver.
>>
>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>>
>> > Are they USB1.1 or 2.0 ports? Do they work correctly with all other
>> > devices? Are they on the motherboard or a PCI card or a hub (and if
>> > hub,
>> > powered or unpowered)?
>> >
>> > Let us know if it changes on LPT.
>> > --
>> > Cari (MS-MVP)
>> > Printing & Imaging
>> >
>> > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>> >
>> > "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b α HP
April 13, 2005 12:32:56 AM

While Canon were addressing their problem, the quick fix was:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

April 13, 2005 1:41:02 AM

The HP PSC 2110 is an All in One.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Are all these printers All in One units?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > All USB 2.0 ports, but 1.1 support turned on. All running off the
> > motherboard. ALl other devices (ok 2) work fine.
> > LPT produced the same results.
> >
> > I did work with HP, that is when I tested the 550C drivers and they
> > worked.
> >
> > I am running out of ideas. I have another PC that was upgraded to SP2
> > which
> > seems to work, as opposed to this one which was from a CD that had SP2
> > bundled.
> >
> > I could use another printer in the house, but hate to buy a new one just
> > so
> > it wont work either.
> >
> > Looks like Lexmark and Cannon both had this issue but addressed it with
> > new
> > drivers. HP doesn't seem to know the problem exists yet.
> >
> > "Jeff" wrote:
> >
> >> Just to verify, I am seeing the identical problem that Bill reports (see
> >> my
> >> print files in the print spooler, etc. In my case, the USB ports are 2.0,
> >> on
> >> the motherboard, and they do work correctly with other USB hardware.
> >>
> >> Bill -- have you tried a clean install of the device drivers per my
> >> previous
> >> post? I intend to do that, but am on the road this week and it will have
> >> wait few days. Also, have you contacted HP Customer Service about the
> >> problem? They might be able to recommend an alternative, equally
> >> effective
> >> driver.

April 13, 2005 1:52:03 AM

Not particularly good news. I'm still going to try a clean reinstall of the
drivers. Will probably do this tomorrow, and let you know results, although
I'm not hopeful.

The problem may have something to do with SP2 -- but there has to be more
than that. This is not a widespread problem -- very few complaints on this
board even though we know it affects a lot of different printers. That is why
I keep thinking that something happens during the installation of the driver.
Might even try to install driver in Safe mode if that is possible.

In my case the computer is new -- I have a 14 day period in which I can
return it to BB. I hate to do that because in every other respect I like the
unit, but it doesn't do me any good if I can't print.

"Bill" wrote:

> All USB 2.0 ports, but 1.1 support turned on. All running off the
> motherboard. ALl other devices (ok 2) work fine.
> LPT produced the same results.
>
> I did work with HP, that is when I tested the 550C drivers and they worked.
>
> I am running out of ideas. I have another PC that was upgraded to SP2 which
> seems to work, as opposed to this one which was from a CD that had SP2
> bundled.
>
> I could use another printer in the house, but hate to buy a new one just so
> it wont work either.
>
> Looks like Lexmark and Cannon both had this issue but addressed it with new
> drivers. HP doesn't seem to know the problem exists yet.
>
> "Jeff" wrote:
>
> > Just to verify, I am seeing the identical problem that Bill reports (see my
> > print files in the print spooler, etc. In my case, the USB ports are 2.0, on
> > the motherboard, and they do work correctly with other USB hardware.
> >
> > Bill -- have you tried a clean install of the device drivers per my previous
> > post? I intend to do that, but am on the road this week and it will have to
> > wait few days. Also, have you contacted HP Customer Service about the
> > problem? They might be able to recommend an alternative, equally effective
> > driver.
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> > > Are they USB1.1 or 2.0 ports? Do they work correctly with all other
> > > devices? Are they on the motherboard or a PCI card or a hub (and if hub,
> > > powered or unpowered)?
> > >
> > > Let us know if it changes on LPT.
> > > --
> > > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > > Printing & Imaging
> > >
> > > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> > >
> > > "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b α HP
April 13, 2005 5:08:44 PM

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 8A74A20-65A6-42ED-B13A-CBA4610B4686@microsoft.com...
> The HP PSC 2110 is an All in One.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Are all these printers All in One units?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>
>> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
April 13, 2005 7:13:04 PM

Bad news -- a clean re-install did not help. So, it is not a case of my
anti-virus or any other application causing a problem or corrupting files
during the install.

"Jeff" wrote:

> Not particularly good news. I'm still going to try a clean reinstall of the
> drivers. Will probably do this tomorrow, and let you know results, although
> I'm not hopeful.
>
> The problem may have something to do with SP2 -- but there has to be more
> than that. This is not a widespread problem -- very few complaints on this
> board even though we know it affects a lot of different printers. That is why
> I keep thinking that something happens during the installation of the driver.
> Might even try to install driver in Safe mode if that is possible.
>
> In my case the computer is new -- I have a 14 day period in which I can
> return it to BB. I hate to do that because in every other respect I like the
> unit, but it doesn't do me any good if I can't print.
>
> "Bill" wrote:
>
> > All USB 2.0 ports, but 1.1 support turned on. All running off the
> > motherboard. ALl other devices (ok 2) work fine.
> > LPT produced the same results.
> >
> > I did work with HP, that is when I tested the 550C drivers and they worked.
> >
> > I am running out of ideas. I have another PC that was upgraded to SP2 which
> > seems to work, as opposed to this one which was from a CD that had SP2
> > bundled.
> >
> > I could use another printer in the house, but hate to buy a new one just so
> > it wont work either.
> >
> > Looks like Lexmark and Cannon both had this issue but addressed it with new
> > drivers. HP doesn't seem to know the problem exists yet.
> >
> > "Jeff" wrote:
> >
> > > Just to verify, I am seeing the identical problem that Bill reports (see my
> > > print files in the print spooler, etc. In my case, the USB ports are 2.0, on
> > > the motherboard, and they do work correctly with other USB hardware.
> > >
> > > Bill -- have you tried a clean install of the device drivers per my previous
> > > post? I intend to do that, but am on the road this week and it will have to
> > > wait few days. Also, have you contacted HP Customer Service about the
> > > problem? They might be able to recommend an alternative, equally effective
> > > driver.

April 13, 2005 7:25:05 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Cari, but the quick fix suggested by Canon didn't
work either. I'm at a loss .....

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> While Canon were addressing their problem, the quick fix was:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP

Anonymous
a b α HP
April 18, 2005 1:38:01 AM

This is not actually on my machine, but my elderly father's, whom I am
supporting in his endeavor to remain 'online' ;-)

>> Uninstalling and reinstalling COMPLETELY usually cures the problem. <<

Believe me, I did do this SEVERAL times with out any success.

>> Is this installation a clean install of XP. <<

No, Windows Home XP upgraded from ME. Installed SP2 early last fall.

>> What antivirus software and firewall software are you running. <<

No antivirus software, but running Windows Firewall.

>> When exactly did the problem first occur.<<

First noticed in the early November time frame.

>> I have six USB printers here and none have any problems. I also have an
>> LPT printer with no problem.<<

The printer worked fine on Home XP SP1 using parallel cable. After SP2
installed and problem detected I eventually connected with USB (1.1) since
printer supports both types of connections and this did not resolve the
problem.

>> Does the problem completely disappear and never recur if SP2 is not
>> installed.<<

Not sure how to answer. Problem didn't occur with SP1, started sometime
after SP2 installed.

>> Are these the latest drivers available for the Deskjet600. If you give
>> us something to work with instead of just saying it won't print, it would
>> be more helpful.<<

In my father's case (DeskJet 815C) HP says to use the Windows printer
driver...they don't supply their own version for that printer.

>> Exactly what happens when you print.... are there any error messages in
>> the Event Log? Exactly which applications do you try to print from? And
>> which versions of the applications? Are ALL Windows updates applied?
>> Are all updates for all the other applications from which you print
>> applied? <<

I gave a fairly detailed explanation previously. There are no error
messages in the event log. Try to print from Notepad, WordPad and Word 2000
and others. If a page contains only text, the printer acts like it prints
fine, but each page is blank. If I print a page with text and graphics,
both the text and the graphics print as expected. The printer test page
always prints OK. I keep his machine (as my own) always up to date from the
Window update site.

Vince McGowan

> About 98% of printer problems are caused by printer drivers... whether
> they get corrupted or the wrong ones get installed to start with or the
> driver is 'broken' by other means. Uninstalling and reinstalling
> COMPLETELY usually cures the problem.
>
> Is this installation a clean install of XP. What antivirus software and
> firewall software are you running. When exactly did the problem first
> occur.
>
> I have six USB printers here and none have any problems. I also have an
> LPT printer with no problem.
>
> Does the problem completely disappear and never recur if SP2 is not
> installed.
>
> Are these the latest drivers available for the Deskjet600. If you give us
> something to work with instead of just saying it won't print, it would be
> more helpful.
>
> Exactly what happens when you print.... are there any error messages in
> the Event Log? Exactly which applications do you try to print from? And
> which versions of the applications? Are ALL Windows updates applied? Are
> all updates for all the other applications from which you print applied?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> 1) These are USB printers not parallel.
>> 2) I am not using the same printer, and from the posts I have read the
>> same
>> problem is occurring for all kinds of USB printers
>> 3) The printers can print as demonstrated by various ways. Mine prints
>> from
>> the PC using the software diagnostic tools, but not from the windows test
>> page....hmmm wonder where the problem is?
>>
>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>>
>>> This is a really ancient printer. What are the LPT settings in your
>>> BIOS?
>>> --
>>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>>> Printing & Imaging
>>>
>>> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>>>
>>> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

April 18, 2005 2:31:11 PM

The problem was solved for me -- sort of. Printer is a HP PSC 2110.

Tried a lot of troubleshooting with HP TSRs, and not much worked. Rebooted a
zillion times, did a clean (scrubber) uninstall, updated firmware, etc.
Finally, they recommended using an alternative driver, deskjet 990C. That
worked -- the 2110 prints successfully. Don't have all the "tweaks" that the
2110 driver has, but it certainly meets my printing requirements.

It also shows that it was not a hardware problem, a USB cable problem, or a
printer port problem. It is a software problem! Clearly a problem with the HP
drivers interfacing with Win XP SP2. The puzzle is that most users do not
have the problem, but some do -- so their has to be at least a 3rd variable
in the equation somewhere causing the problem. Nonetheless, I would hope that
HP updates their drivers to take care of the problem permanentlly.

In any event, the 990C driver probably won't help you with the Deskjet 815C.
If you haven't tried it already, I would suggest installing the Deskjet 550C
driver as an alternate. The 550C driver is considered a universal, workhorse
driver. (After install, be sure to go into the ports settings -- right click
properties on the 550C icon -- and select USB if you are connected that way
-- it defaults to an LP1 port.)

I hope this helps.

"Vince McGowan" wrote:

> [...]
> > the Event Log? Exactly which applications do you try to print from? And
> > which versions of the applications? Are ALL Windows updates applied? Are
> > all updates for all the other applications from which you print applied?
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > Printing & Imaging
> >
> > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> >
> > "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> 1) These are USB printers not parallel.
> >> 2) I am not using the same printer, and from the posts I have read the
> >> same
> >> problem is occurring for all kinds of USB printers
> >> 3) The printers can print as demonstrated by various ways. Mine prints
> >> from
> >> the PC using the software diagnostic tools, but not from the windows test
> >> page....hmmm wonder where the problem is?

July 13, 2005 9:20:28 PM

For folks getting only blank pages from the "better" HP drivers on XP
SP2, see http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/24623#7 .

I'm not sure whether or not the problem is the same for folks getting
only blank pages with other vendors' printers, but it would seem
likely.

--
longstride
!