Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I know this is not really the proper newsgroup, but I didn't see another
to post to.

Does anyone have an experience with Verizon VoiceWing? It is their
Voice Over IP phone service they are offering. I was wondering how it
compares to Vonage, I know it's priced higher for similar service
($24.99 versus $34.99, $29.99 with multi-account discount). I have
Verizon for cellular, and may end up with Verizon for DSL. We are
building a new home and feel that VOIP may be the way yo go for
landline, provided that DSL is an option for us.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

chris wrote:

> I know this is not really the proper newsgroup, but I didn't see another
> to post to.
>
> Does anyone have an experience with Verizon VoiceWing? It is their
> Voice Over IP phone service they are offering. I was wondering how it
> compares to Vonage, I know it's priced higher for similar service
> ($24.99 versus $34.99, $29.99 with multi-account discount). I have
> Verizon for cellular, and may end up with Verizon for DSL. We are
> building a new home and feel that VOIP may be the way yo go for
> landline, provided that DSL is an option for us.
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

comp.dcom.telecom and comp.dcom.xdsl may be good groups for more insights

LB

You can't get VoiceWIng or DSL without a Verizon land line first. You can
get Voicewing with a cable modem and have that as your "home phone".
Voicewing is not as good and is more expensive than Vonage. Vonage has top
quality, free calling to Canada (VZ charges .02/min). Other features are
similar, but Voicewing is anywhere from 5 to 10 bucks a month more than
Vonage (depending on your VZ package discount). Skip Voicewing and go with
something else. No matter what you get for Voip, though, you still have to
have a Verizon landline phone if you are going to use Verizon DSL.
BTW-I have Vonage. Great service. There are cheaper options, but none match
Vonage for quality, not even VZ.

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:10:59 -0500, chris <ckaminski@adelphia.net> wrote:
>building a new home and feel that VOIP may be the way yo go for
>landline, provided that DSL is an option for us.

Well, you can use VoIP with cable modem service, too.

Keep in mind that VoIP will not work during a power failure, and 911
service has been problematic.

What I do is have my landline with plain flat-rate local service for
around $17 per month (including all taxes/fees), and I use my cell phone
for all toll calls. For me, this is much cheaper than VoIP, and I get
the much more reliable landline 911 service.

--
Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."

The June issue of Computer Shopper has a review of VoiceWing voip.
Editors rating 6.8 of 10.
Pros: Well done documentation
Cons: Expensive. Disappointing call quality. Unlimited LD applies only to
calls within US.
Bottom Line: Verizon DSL customers might want to take a look at VW, but
other broadband subscribers can find equally
full-featured voip plans for less elsewhere.