Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Firewall question.

Last response: in Networking
Share
April 26, 2004 10:15:17 AM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Hello,
I understand firewalls, but I do not know how to set one up.
I am considering getting a firewall program, as the one I have in XP I am
told is kind of "lame".
What product out there do you feel will be effective, but yet fairly safe
for me to use?

Thanks allot,
Bob


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.668 / Virus Database: 430 - Release Date: 4/24/2004

More about : firewall question

Anonymous
April 26, 2004 11:59:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Bob,
I found Norton Internet Security is a bit better integrated with
Windows. Zone Alarm (the free version) will require you to figure out
which programs are OK (and a lot of them are from Windows itself), while
Norton would have the Windows' programs that need internet access
already known.
If you end up spending money on the firewall, Norton may be something
you want a look into.
If you're up to learning a new OS, you can always take a junker 486 or
Pentium and turn it into a firewall yourself.
April 26, 2004 12:18:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 06:15:17 GMT, "Bob" <ace-62@earthlinkNOSPAM.net>
wrote:

>Hello,
>I understand firewalls, but I do not know how to set one up.
>I am considering getting a firewall program, as the one I have in XP I am
>told is kind of "lame".
>What product out there do you feel will be effective, but yet fairly safe
>for me to use?
>
>Thanks allot,
>Bob
>

Look at ZoneAlarm
>
>---
>Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>Version: 6.0.668 / Virus Database: 430 - Release Date: 4/24/2004
>
Related resources
April 26, 2004 12:25:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

"calyth" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:Sj3jc.263002$oR5.105074@pd7tw3no...
> Bob,
> I found Norton Internet Security is a bit better integrated with
> Windows. Zone Alarm (the free version) will require you to figure out
> which programs are OK (and a lot of them are from Windows itself), while
> Norton would have the Windows' programs that need internet access
> already known.
> If you end up spending money on the firewall, Norton may be something
> you want a look into.
> If you're up to learning a new OS, you can always take a junker 486 or
> Pentium and turn it into a firewall yourself.


Hey, thank you. I tried Zone Alarm a year or so back on another computer,
but I was always not to sure if what I was doing was right or not.
I am looking to get a new antivirus too, so I will be getting them at the
same time.
Any advise there?

Thanks,
Bob


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.668 / Virus Database: 430 - Release Date: 4/24/2004
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 1:29:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Nortons Internet 'Security' Suite - think it comes with their firewall and
anti-virus all bundled. Integrate nicely together and liveupdate always
keeps the FW app and virus definitions up to date

Hope this helps
Steve

"Bob" <ace-62@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> wrote in message
news:2I3jc.11475$gH6.4088@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
> "calyth" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:Sj3jc.263002$oR5.105074@pd7tw3no...
> > Bob,
> > I found Norton Internet Security is a bit better integrated with
> > Windows. Zone Alarm (the free version) will require you to figure out
> > which programs are OK (and a lot of them are from Windows itself), while
> > Norton would have the Windows' programs that need internet access
> > already known.
> > If you end up spending money on the firewall, Norton may be something
> > you want a look into.
> > If you're up to learning a new OS, you can always take a junker 486 or
> > Pentium and turn it into a firewall yourself.
>
>
> Hey, thank you. I tried Zone Alarm a year or so back on another computer,
> but I was always not to sure if what I was doing was right or not.
> I am looking to get a new antivirus too, so I will be getting them at the
> same time.
> Any advise there?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.668 / Virus Database: 430 - Release Date: 4/24/2004
>
>
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 3:38:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

In article <VN1jc.2967$g31.2596@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, ace-
62@earthlinkNOSPAM.net says...
> Hello,
> I understand firewalls, but I do not know how to set one up.
> I am considering getting a firewall program, as the one I have in XP I am
> told is kind of "lame".
> What product out there do you feel will be effective, but yet fairly safe
> for me to use?

Bob, before anyone can tell you what kind of firewall "might" be good
for you, you will have to tell us what the firewall is protecting, what
services you use on the internet, and what services you let internet
users access inside your network.

In many cases, for home users that just browse the web and send email, a
simple NAT router is more than sufficient when combined with a good
Anti-Virus product like Norton AV 2004 and a frequently updated OS from
the MS Updates site. Don't forget to update your MS Office application
also.

--
--
spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 4:01:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Bob wrote:
> Hello,
> I understand firewalls, but I do not know how to set one up.
> I am considering getting a firewall program, as the one I have in XP I am
> told is kind of "lame".
> What product out there do you feel will be effective, but yet fairly safe
> for me to use?
>
> Thanks allot,
> Bob
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.668 / Virus Database: 430 - Release Date: 4/24/2004
>
>
Check out Outpost (www.agnitum.com). It has some features that arguably
have nothing to do with firewalling, however, it's Intrusion Detection,
Application Control and Network Configuration couldn't be easier. It has
pre-defined rules for most applications. Set-up is about as easy as it
could possibly be. I have it set up on an old Win98SE box (part of my
home network) and I have no problems with it what-so-ever. I don't use
the active content controls, though.
April 26, 2004 9:46:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Hmmm, good idea about the router.

I have a laptop that I use at home. I never take it anywhere, I got it to
save space really.

Anyway, I never considered a router, but I will look into it.

Thank you,
Bob


"Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1af6c07d9424daf398a446@news-server.columbus.rr.com...
> In article <VN1jc.2967$g31.2596@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, ace-
> 62@earthlinkNOSPAM.net says...
> > Hello,
> > I understand firewalls, but I do not know how to set one up.
> > I am considering getting a firewall program, as the one I have in XP I
am
> > told is kind of "lame".
> > What product out there do you feel will be effective, but yet fairly
safe
> > for me to use?
>
> Bob, before anyone can tell you what kind of firewall "might" be good
> for you, you will have to tell us what the firewall is protecting, what
> services you use on the internet, and what services you let internet
> users access inside your network.
>
> In many cases, for home users that just browse the web and send email, a
> simple NAT router is more than sufficient when combined with a good
> Anti-Virus product like Norton AV 2004 and a frequently updated OS from
> the MS Updates site. Don't forget to update your MS Office application
> also.
>
> --
> --
> spamfree999@rrohio.com
> (Remove 999 to reply to me)


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.668 / Virus Database: 430 - Release Date: 4/24/2004
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 10:25:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

In article <3Wbjc.11817$gH6.917@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, ace-
62@earthlinkNOSPAM.net says...
> Hmmm, good idea about the router.
>
> I have a laptop that I use at home. I never take it anywhere, I got it to
> save space really.
>
> Anyway, I never considered a router, but I will look into it.

Bob, the router should be the first layer, then the AV software, then
the locked down computer and all updates, etc... The router make the
first part painless for most people.


--
--
spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 3:32:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Bob wrote:

> Hello,
> I understand firewalls, but I do not know how to set one up.

If the first sentence is right, the second must be wrong and vice versa.

> I am considering getting a firewall program, as the one I have in XP I am
> told is kind of "lame".

Wrong.

> What product out there do you feel will be effective, but yet fairly safe
> for me to use?

You don't need a 'firewall'. Configure your box properly, switch off
unwanted services, never work as administrator, set user and access rights
strict, do not nuse insecure software, keep the installed code base on the
box as small as possible, install all security patches.

Read:

http://www.ntsvcfg.de/ntsvcfg_eng.html

Wolfgang
--
A foreign body and a foreign mind
never welcome in the land of the blind.
from 'Not one of us', (c) 1980 Peter Gabriel
April 27, 2004 7:29:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

"Wolfgang Kueter" <wolfgang@shconnect.de> wrote in message
news:c6jv5r$on0$1@news.shlink.de...
> Bob wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I understand firewalls, but I do not know how to set one up.
>
> If the first sentence is right, the second must be wrong and vice versa.
>
> > I am considering getting a firewall program, as the one I have in XP I
am
> > told is kind of "lame".
>
> Wrong.
>
> > What product out there do you feel will be effective, but yet fairly
safe
> > for me to use?
>
> You don't need a 'firewall'. Configure your box properly, switch off
> unwanted services, never work as administrator, set user and access rights
> strict, do not nuse insecure software, keep the installed code base on the
> box as small as possible, install all security patches.
>
> Read:
>
> http://www.ntsvcfg.de/ntsvcfg_eng.html
>

Thank you for this, I will take a look.

Bob



> Wolfgang
> --
> A foreign body and a foreign mind
> never welcome in the land of the blind.
> from 'Not one of us', (c) 1980 Peter Gabriel


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.668 / Virus Database: 430 - Release Date: 4/24/2004
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 3:17:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Bart Bailey wrote:
> In Message-ID:<LS6jc.23258$YP5.1840631@attbi_s02> posted on Mon, 26 Apr
> 2004 12:01:47 GMT, optikl wrote:
>
>
>>Check out Outpost (www.agnitum.com). It has some features that arguably
>>have nothing to do with firewalling, however, it's Intrusion Detection,
>>Application Control and Network Configuration couldn't be easier. It has
>>pre-defined rules for most applications. Set-up is about as easy as it
>>could possibly be. I have it set up on an old Win98SE box (part of my
>>home network) and I have no problems with it what-so-ever. I don't use
>>the active content controls, though.
>
>
> Are you using the Free v1 or one of the later v2 pay (keygen) versions?
> I'm currently using the ZA Free version and can't see where there could
> be many improvements in performance. Net-Nanny functions are just
> unnecessary bloat in my opinion, as are script generated alert logs that
> get emailed to a remote admin.
> I just want something to secure the system from outside attacks as well
> as do an SPI application check on internal requests. ZA Free does this
> quite nicely.
> As far as AV detection, personally I prefer a separate application for
> that, such that it's less likely to be simultaneously compromised than
> the "all eggs in same basket bundled bloatwall" programs that seem to
> generate so much revenue for their promoters.
>
I've got the payware version 2.1.something. I can't remember why I
bought the upgrade. Anyway, I agree about the net-nanny stuff. Actually,
the only reason I have that kind of firewall on that machine is my
daughter uses it when she's home from university for IM and File Sharing
and other trusting and naive behavior she and her sorority/fraternity
friends are into.
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 1:17:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Bart Bailey wrote:
> In Message-ID:<%irjc.29871$0u6.5114562@attbi_s03> posted on Tue, 27 Apr
> 2004 11:17:15 GMT, optikl wrote:
>
>
>>I've got the payware version 2.1.something. I can't remember why I
>>bought the upgrade. Anyway, I agree about the net-nanny stuff. Actually,
>>the only reason I have that kind of firewall on that machine is my
>>daughter uses it when she's home from university for IM and File Sharing
>>and other trusting and naive behavior she and her sorority/fraternity
>>friends are into.
>
>
> You'd think by the time today's kids got to Uni, they'd have a clue
> about safe-hex. Maybe you could do like Art and have a clone image on
> hand, then when she "file-shared" herself into trouble, just let her
> wallow in it awhile, then do a restore. ;-)
>
I should do that. It'd be a shame to lose all those mp3's of hip-hop and
other party music ;) .
!