Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Battlefield 3 Freezes

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 30, 2012 8:56:16 AM

These past few days I've been getting Battlefield 3 freezes which makes the game unplayable.

I play fine for around 10 minutes (Ultra settings with no anti aliasing and no motion blur, 1920x1080 60hz)

I get around 40 fps, and after 10 minutes it drops to 20fps-ish, and eventually freezes for 5 seconds, plays for 5-10 seconds, and repeat.

This just started happening, I think BF3 or Origin, or Battlelog, one of those 3 (can't remember) had some form of update in the past few days.


I know its not a hardware issue..I have latest drivers and all the games I play on work fine, i.e Napoleon/Shogun 2 total war play fine over 60 fps highest settings, which I think is just as hardware intensive as BF3

Anyone else get this problem? Find a fix?

More about : battlefield freezes

August 30, 2012 12:30:54 PM

Erm well I'm not a pro, but I'm certain you'll get specific answers for BF3 in the Battlelog forums.
m
0
l
August 30, 2012 9:38:45 PM

I always get the best answers here. When I ask on the bf3 forums I get stupid, obvious answers like "Turn down your graphics settings" or "is your internet connection bad"
m
0
l
Related resources
August 30, 2012 11:21:15 PM

N11Ckk123472 said:
These past few days I've been getting Battlefield 3 freezes which makes the game unplayable.

I play fine for around 10 minutes (Ultra settings with no anti aliasing and no motion blur, 1920x1080 60hz)

I get around 40 fps, and after 10 minutes it drops to 20fps-ish, and eventually freezes for 5 seconds, plays for 5-10 seconds, and repeat.

This just started happening, I think BF3 or Origin, or Battlelog, one of those 3 (can't remember) had some form of update in the past few days.


I know its not a hardware issue..I have latest drivers and all the games I play on work fine, i.e Napoleon/Shogun 2 total war play fine over 60 fps highest settings, which I think is just as hardware intensive as BF3

Anyone else get this problem? Find a fix?


Would you be so kind to post your system specs?
m
0
l
August 30, 2012 11:33:53 PM

AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4Ghz.
Wintec DDR3 1600 2GBx2 RAM
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1tb
Asus M5A97 970 AM3+ Motherboard
MSI R6850 Cyclone Edition OC at 935 Core and 1175 Mem
OCZ ModXTreme 600w Modular PSU
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 5:37:18 AM

Its your's cpu's heatsink clean it or put new termal paste on it i had the same problem
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 5:38:09 AM

Your CPU goes very hot and when is CPU hotter than 78 celsius its start to lag install core temp and you will see your Gpu and Cpu Temp if thats not the problem then i dont know
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 5:42:43 AM

Or downclock your Cpu about 0.5 then it shouldnt be so Hot and Bf3 eats all power your Pc have on Ultra Settings
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 6:01:55 AM

Just checked, BF3, my cpu sits around high 50's low 60's.
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 6:58:08 AM

It does sound like an overheating problem. It may not be your cpu but it could be your gpu also. Try this for the hell of it, even if you "know" it`s not the cause. Drop all in game settings to low then play again and see if it still happens. Purely for testing purposes. btw if those other games were just as hardware intensive as bf3 is and you can run those at 60fps then why can`t you run bf3 at 60fps? Some games rely more on the cpu and others will rely more on the gpu. Bf3 uses a fair bit of both but likes to give a gpu the hardest time.
btw overclocking can cause many hidden problems which only show themselves on certain apps or games. I know someone who had his overclocked rig running fine and would run any test for 8 hours straight then crash in half life 2. Turned out he was getting memory errors because of his high overclock, yet only that one game would indicate there was a problem. Never take anything for granted!
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 7:12:04 AM

Okay, ill try that. My card does have an overclock but idk if I mentioned this before, but I haven't changed anything in my rig, no overclocking or anything, and I usually get around 40 fps Ultra 1080p on BF3, and I randomly started getting these freezes.
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 8:36:53 PM

What drivers are you running? And what is going on when the lags take place?
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 9:21:56 PM

Latest AMD drivers, 12.8 I believe, but this also happened when I had 12.6. Also I play for about 10-15 minutes and starts to stutter, and eventually freezes for a good 15 seconds, goes back to normal for 3 ish seconds, and the cycle repeats, and I have to ctrl-alt-del to exit out.
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 9:23:57 PM

what graphics card temp's are you getting? I used to have this on my 6950, but i changed the fan profile a little so it doesnt reach 75 (thats quiet low)
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 9:56:48 PM

max 80, but it usually sits around mid 70's
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 12:20:23 AM

You are probably hitting a VRAM limit with the 6850. Hit that wall and it'll stutter... try lowering the settings. Perhaps changing HBAO to SSAO - will probably net you an extra 10+ fps.

Also 4GB of system RAM isn't much for BF3. The game may be hitting the pagefile regularly...
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 12:35:14 AM

Don't want to sound rude, but did you not read my past comments at all? I said I've been playing this game no problems at utlra settings with no AA @ 1920x1080p and getting an average of 40 fps. Its not a hardware issue, if i haven't had any problems with the game the past half year or so I've had it. I haven't changed anything on my rig, this just randomly started happening.
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 11:49:52 AM

N11Ckk123472 said:
Don't want to sound rude, but did you not read my past comments at all? I said I've been playing this game no problems at utlra settings with no AA @ 1920x1080p and getting an average of 40 fps. Its not a hardware issue, if i haven't had any problems with the game the past half year or so I've had it. I haven't changed anything on my rig, this just randomly started happening.



Recommended GPU for BF3:

Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950

You do know hardware fails right? "MTBF" that usually accompanies a product?

You haven't changed anything about your machine in the last 6 months and then all of a sudden issues? So what's the problem?

Okay, you run BF3 @ Ultra no AA with a 1GB 6850 and average 40fps. You experience drops right? (which is normal) And it's not a hardware issue?

Lower HBAO to SSAO and it'll bring your average up 10+ fps and when it does drop it won't be so noticable.

Quote:
I always get the best answers here. When I ask on the bf3 forums I get stupid, obvious answers like "Turn down your graphics settings" or "is your internet connection bad"


Why are these answers stupid? May not be something you want to hear but I find it to be good advice.
m
0
l
!