all installed printers missing and add/ remove wizard not ..

users laptop had previously several printers now they are not visible
add/remove printer wizard not working
tried sfc / scannow but still problem
tried adding with a disk a new printer which it says it did
but this new one also not visible.
11 answers Last reply
More about installed printers missing remove wizard

    "Previously", how long ago? You can try a system Restore, you can go back
    up to 90 days. Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System
    Restore. Click on a bold date to before your printers became "invisible".

    "webtrekkers" wrote:

    > users laptop had previously several printers now they are not visible
    > add/remove printer wizard not working
    > tried sfc / scannow but still problem
    > tried adding with a disk a new printer which it says it did
    > but this new one also not visible.

    will try this thanks for your advice

    Gary

    "Byte" wrote:

    > "Previously", how long ago? You can try a system Restore, you can go back
    > up to 90 days. Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System
    > Restore. Click on a bold date to before your printers became "invisible".
    >

    > "webtrekkers" wrote:
    >
    > > users laptop had previously several printers now they are not visible
    > > add/remove printer wizard not working
    > > tried sfc / scannow but still problem
    > > tried adding with a disk a new printer which it says it did
    > > but this new one also not visible.

    Printer Spooler seems to have stopped..... start it.

    http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20Nine.htm
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "webtrekkers" <webtrekkers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > users laptop had previously several printers now they are not visible
    > add/remove printer wizard not working
    > tried sfc / scannow but still problem
    > tried adding with a disk a new printer which it says it did
    > but this new one also not visible.

    Hi Cari,
    I'm having the same problem.
    When I try to start the net spooler, I get a message that "The Service Name
    is Invalid"
    Any ideas? This is nuts. I was away for teh weekend, my system was off, and
    when I bootedf up, none of my printers are available.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Printer Spooler seems to have stopped..... start it.
    >
    > http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20Nine.htm
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >
    > "webtrekkers" <webtrekkers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > users laptop had previously several printers now they are not visible
    > > add/remove printer wizard not working
    > > tried sfc / scannow but still problem
    > > tried adding with a disk a new printer which it says it did
    > > but this new one also not visible.

    The Net Spooler? In your case you probably want to try a System Restore
    point to before Friday and see if that solves the problem.
    www.coribright.com

    "Fotog4" <Fotog4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Cari,
    > I'm having the same problem.
    > When I try to start the net spooler, I get a message that "The Service
    > Name
    > is Invalid"
    > Any ideas? This is nuts. I was away for teh weekend, my system was off,
    > and
    > when I bootedf up, none of my printers are available.

    Tried it and nothing, anything else?

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > The Net Spooler? In your case you probably want to try a System Restore
    > point to before Friday and see if that solves the problem.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing & Imaging
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Fotog4" <Fotog4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Cari,
    > > I'm having the same problem.
    > > When I try to start the net spooler, I get a message that "The Service
    > > Name
    > > is Invalid"
    > > Any ideas? This is nuts. I was away for teh weekend, my system was off,
    > > and
    > > when I bootedf up, none of my printers are available.

    Try the following:
    Start>Run>type "NET Start spooler" (without quotes)
    Click OK

    "Fotog4" wrote:

    > Tried it and nothing, anything else?
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > The Net Spooler? In your case you probably want to try a System Restore
    > > point to before Friday and see if that solves the problem.
    > > --
    > > Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing & Imaging
    > > www.coribright.com
    > >
    > > "Fotog4" <Fotog4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi Cari,
    > > > I'm having the same problem.
    > > > When I try to start the net spooler, I get a message that "The Service
    > > > Name
    > > > is Invalid"
    > > > Any ideas? This is nuts. I was away for teh weekend, my system was off,
    > > > and
    > > > when I bootedf up, none of my printers are available.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Still nothing.
    The Print Spooler won't start, it's not even listed in my available
    service......

    I'M DYING HERE...........

    ARRGGGHHHH

    "Byte" wrote:

    > Try the following:
    > Start>Run>type "NET Start spooler" (without quotes)
    > Click OK
    >
    > "Fotog4" wrote:
    >
    > > Tried it and nothing, anything else?
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > > > The Net Spooler? In your case you probably want to try a System Restore
    > > > point to before Friday and see if that solves the problem.
    > > > --
    > > > Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing & Imaging
    > > > www.coribright.com
    > > >
    > > > "Fotog4" <Fotog4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    If it's not even listed then I'm afraid it's time for a Repair Installation.
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    > Still nothing.
    > The Print Spooler won't start, it's not even listed in my available
    > service......
    >
    > I'M DYING HERE...........
    >
    > ARRGGGHHHH
    >

    > "Byte" wrote:
    >
    >> Try the following:
    >> Start>Run>type "NET Start spooler" (without quotes)
    >> Click OK
    >>
    >> "Fotog4" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Tried it and nothing, anything else?

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Thanks Cari for all your help. I did indeed have to do a reinstall repair.
    I hate it when that happens.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > If it's not even listed then I'm afraid it's time for a Repair Installation.
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >
    > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >
    > "Fotog4" <Fotog4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Still nothing.
    > > The Print Spooler won't start, it's not even listed in my available
    > > service......
    > >
    > > I'M DYING HERE...........
    > >
    > > ARRGGGHHHH
    > >

    > > "Byte" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Try the following:
    > >> Start>Run>type "NET Start spooler" (without quotes)
    > >> Click OK

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Me too!

    > Thanks Cari for all your help. I did indeed have to do a reinstall repair.
    > I hate it when that happens.

Laptops Microsoft Printers Windows XP