Can it run BF3 smoothly with everything at the highest? And is it at least a lit

WeiJin

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Planned setup:

Windows 7 64bit
i5 3570k
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 670
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3
Asrock Intel Z77 Extreme 4
Corsair TX 750m V2(is the HX 850 more worth it?)
120GB Corsair Force 3 SATA 3 SSD

Solution
There are several different Graphical presets - Low, Medium, High, Ultra and Custom.

This article tells you about the different presets and shows you what they look like: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2011/11/10/battlefield-3-technical-analysis/1

The two most demanding graphical settings are:

1) Anti-aliasing Deferred - Disabled/2xMSAA/4xMSAA

2) Ambient Occlusion - Disabled/SSAO/HBAO

4xMSAA will pretty much cut your framerate down by a 1/3rd, but will make the game look so much better as it eliminates all the the jagged edges and moving pixels you see on the edge of straight textures.

HBAO is the most resource heavy Ambient Occlusion setting. It adds a new level of shadows to the scene, usually where two objects meet and...

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
I agree. The i5 is more than enough power, and the gtx 670 should have just more than enough gpu power. Are you gaming at 1080p?

You dont need 850 watts of power. You actually probably dont need more than 650, but its always good to have headroom to overclock or go SLI.

WeiJin

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Thanks for replying! BTW, I may be getting a new monitor too, cause the max resolution in this one is 1360x768(is max res determined by monitor size or GPU? Cause I have a really old one)

noise

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2012
Resolution relies on both GPU and monitor.

Your monitor has a 'native resolution' - this is the resolution your monitor was designed to work at. Generally the larger the monitor the high the resolution but you need to check this.

GPUs also have upper limits of resolution. I believe the GTx670 has an upper limit of 2560x1600.

Gallarian

Distinguished
To your original question:

It depends on what you think 'smoothly' is.

If its above 30fps 100% of the time - then yes.

If its above 60fps 100% of the time - then no.

A GTX 670 will play BF3 on ultra with 4xMSAA fine, but it wont stay above the magic 60fps all the time, you'll find yourself dipping to 45-50fps in some places.

In order to do that, play on High with 4xMSAA.

WeiJin

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Well, can you educate me on the setting on BF3 PC, and what is resource hogging, and what isn't? I use to play on the PS3, so i'm not that good about options in PC games.

Gallarian

Distinguished
There are several different Graphical presets - Low, Medium, High, Ultra and Custom.

This article tells you about the different presets and shows you what they look like: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2011/11/10/battlefield-3-technical-analysis/1

The two most demanding graphical settings are:

1) Anti-aliasing Deferred - Disabled/2xMSAA/4xMSAA

2) Ambient Occlusion - Disabled/SSAO/HBAO

4xMSAA will pretty much cut your framerate down by a 1/3rd, but will make the game look so much better as it eliminates all the the jagged edges and moving pixels you see on the edge of straight textures.

HBAO is the most resource heavy Ambient Occlusion setting. It adds a new level of shadows to the scene, usually where two objects meet and adds a good amount of depth to the scene.

I advise using the Custom preset, setting everything to High and enabling 4xMSAA and SSAO, and using 16x Anisotropic Filtering - this should give you a great looking game whilst staying above 60fps 95%+ of the time.

Solution

WeiJin

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
So, its the HBAO that significantly decreases frame rates in Ultra? BTW, the other settings such as shadow quality and stuff, if set to ultra, do they hog a lot more resources?

Gallarian

Distinguished

Pretty much. The other settings on their own wont hurt too much if turned to Ultra, but collectively they will.

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Dont even worry about it. Larger servers with more players require more cpu power, and lots of graphics effects like explosions, fire, and flying dirt require more gpu power, but you have both of your bases covered. Actually, you have your bases covered...alot. You have picked yourself out two very strong components that will not disappoint. Just throw them on a motherboard and enjoy the game! ;-)

Gallarian

Distinguished
You will find FPS dips on certain maps, regardless of player count.

Culprits include - Caspian Border, Strike at Karkand, Gulf of Oman, Sharqi Peninsular an any of the Close Quarters map pack.

If you use my settings, expect 60fps almost all the time, but on the above maps, you may find areas in them where you drop anywhere between 2-8fps.

TRENDING THREADS