limited account cannot print

March 8, 2005 11:47:02 PM

Initial log-on using limited account cannot print anything, including test
page. When I open print status window all requested docs are listed but none
print. When I log on to administrators account, printer works fine. Initial
boot up to administrator account, printer works fine. Switch to limited
account after initial boot to administrators account and limited account
prints everything. I'm stumped.

More about : limited account print

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 12:02:10 PM

this sounds like the monitoring software requires an initialization from an
administrator account. Who wrote the software?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"mtwagn" <mtwagn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Initial log-on using limited account cannot print anything, including test
> page. When I open print status window all requested docs are listed but
none
> print. When I log on to administrators account, printer works fine.
Initial
> boot up to administrator account, printer works fine. Switch to limited
> account after initial boot to administrators account and limited account
> prints everything. I'm stumped.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 12:19:06 PM

Thank you for responding to my problem. I do not understand what you are
talking about. What monitoring software? When booting up to limited account
no software will print anything, including going to printer properties and
trying to print a test page. As soon as I log on to an adminstrator account
printer works fine and it even will work if I log off the administrator
account and then on to the limited account. Is the monitoring software the
printer driver? And, how does one go about initialization of the moniotring
software from an administrator account. I am using a 2 month old Dell
Desktop running Windows XP Professional and a Canon ImageClass D680
Multi-Function Printer, Copier, Scanner.

Thanks again.

"Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

> this sounds like the monitoring software requires an initialization from an
> administrator account. Who wrote the software?
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "mtwagn" <mtwagn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Initial log-on using limited account cannot print anything, including test
> > page. When I open print status window all requested docs are listed but
> none
> > print. When I log on to administrators account, printer works fine.
> Initial
> > boot up to administrator account, printer works fine. Switch to limited
> > account after initial boot to administrators account and limited account
> > prints everything. I'm stumped.

March 9, 2005 6:11:57 PM

My mistake, when you mentioned the printer status window, I was under the
impression this was some monitoring software. I think you are just opening
the spooler queue view, correct?

There are a couple anti virus packages that will interfere with user
accounts printing. I have also seen this failure when the
\windows\system32\spool\printers directory does not allow users write
access. If you have Professional you can change security restrictions on
this directory (I think you will need to turn off simple file sharing in
Folder Options / View . If you are using Home version you can change the
spool folders to a location where users have write access (Printers Folder ,
File, Server Properties, Advanced)

--

> Thank you for responding to my problem. I do not understand what you are
> talking about. What monitoring software? When booting up to limited
account
> no software will print anything, including going to printer properties and
> trying to print a test page. As soon as I log on to an adminstrator
account
> printer works fine and it even will work if I log off the administrator
> account and then on to the limited account. Is the monitoring software
the
> printer driver? And, how does one go about initialization of the
moniotring
> software from an administrator account. I am using a 2 month old Dell
> Desktop running Windows XP Professional and a Canon ImageClass D680
> Multi-Function Printer, Copier, Scanner.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
>
> > this sounds like the monitoring software requires an initialization from
an
> > administrator account. Who wrote the software?
> >
> > --
> > Alan Morris
> > Windows Printing Team
> > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

rights.

> > "mtwagn" <mtwagn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Initial log-on using limited account cannot print anything, including
test
> > > page. When I open print status window all requested docs are listed
but
> > none
> > > print. When I log on to administrators account, printer works fine.
> > Initial
> > > boot up to administrator account, printer works fine. Switch to
limited
> > > account after initial boot to administrators account and limited
account
> > > prints everything. I'm stumped.

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 11:01:03 AM

Could Alan or someone suggest a location for the spool folders where users
would have write access so that they could print? Tnx

"Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

> My mistake, when you mentioned the printer status window, I was under the
> impression this was some monitoring software. I think you are just opening
> the spooler queue view, correct?
>
> There are a couple anti virus packages that will interfere with user
> accounts printing. I have also seen this failure when the
> \windows\system32\spool\printers directory does not allow users write
> access. If you have Professional you can change security restrictions on
> this directory (I think you will need to turn off simple file sharing in
> Folder Options / View . If you are using Home version you can change the
> spool folders to a location where users have write access (Printers Folder ,
> File, Server Properties, Advanced)
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "mtwagn" <mtwagn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for responding to my problem. I do not understand what you are
> > talking about. What monitoring software? When booting up to limited
> account
> > no software will print anything, including going to printer properties and
> > trying to print a test page. As soon as I log on to an adminstrator
> account
> > printer works fine and it even will work if I log off the administrator
> > account and then on to the limited account. Is the monitoring software
> the
> > printer driver? And, how does one go about initialization of the
> moniotring
> > software from an administrator account. I am using a 2 month old Dell
> > Desktop running Windows XP Professional and a Canon ImageClass D680
> > Multi-Function Printer, Copier, Scanner.
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
> >
> > > this sounds like the monitoring software requires an initialization from
> an
> > > administrator account. Who wrote the software?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Alan Morris
> > > Windows Printing Team
> > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> rights.
> > >
> > > "mtwagn" <mtwagn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> test
> but
> > > none
> > > Initial
> limited
> account

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 9:32:07 PM

Yes, someone please help. I am still having this problem. Cannot print from
limited account unless I first sign on to Administrator account. After
signing on to administrator account (I don't have to print anything) I can
then log off administrator account and log on to limited account and can then
print anything while on the limited account. If boot up and log on to
limited account first cannot print anything. Print jobs just pile up in the
print cue. I must then log on to administrator account, cancel all print
jobs (which takes a while), before I can print anything, from either
administrator or limited account.

Thanks!

"HDBob" wrote:

> Could Alan or someone suggest a location for the spool folders where users
> would have write access so that they could print? Tnx
>
> "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
>
> > My mistake, when you mentioned the printer status window, I was under the
> > impression this was some monitoring software. I think you are just opening
> > the spooler queue view, correct?
> >
> > There are a couple anti virus packages that will interfere with user
> > accounts printing. I have also seen this failure when the
> > \windows\system32\spool\printers directory does not allow users write
> > access. If you have Professional you can change security restrictions on
> > this directory (I think you will need to turn off simple file sharing in
> > Folder Options / View . If you are using Home version you can change the
> > spool folders to a location where users have write access (Printers Folder ,
> > File, Server Properties, Advanced)
> >
> > --
> > Alan Morris
> > Windows Printing Team
> > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> > "mtwagn" <mtwagn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thank you for responding to my problem. I do not understand what you are
> > > talking about. What monitoring software? When booting up to limited
> > account
> > > no software will print anything, including going to printer properties and
> > > trying to print a test page. As soon as I log on to an adminstrator
> > account
> > > printer works fine and it even will work if I log off the administrator
> > > account and then on to the limited account. Is the monitoring software
> > the
> > > printer driver? And, how does one go about initialization of the
> > moniotring
> > > software from an administrator account. I am using a 2 month old Dell
> > > Desktop running Windows XP Professional and a Canon ImageClass D680
> > > Multi-Function Printer, Copier, Scanner.
> > >
> > > Thanks again.

> > an

> > rights.

> > test
> > but
> > limited
> > account

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 9:39:01 AM

In <AD18EE36-92A2-41BE-8B1B-C8EC8032A279@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?bXR3YWdu?= <mtwagn@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:
>Yes, someone please help. I am still having this problem. Cannot print from
>limited account unless I first sign on to Administrator account. After
>signing on to administrator account (I don't have to print anything) I can
>then log off administrator account and log on to limited account and can then
>print anything while on the limited account. If boot up and log on to
>limited account first cannot print anything. Print jobs just pile up in the
>print cue. I must then log on to administrator account, cancel all print
>jobs (which takes a while), before I can print anything, from either
>administrator or limited account.

Try this and tell us what happens.

Double click on c:\windows\help\printing.chm
Contents tab
Network printers
Managing permissions
Read about it.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 3:17:35 PM

What driver is this? Also XP SP2?

I usually place my spool directory on another drive than my OS. If the OS
is on c:\windows, I create d:\spool (on a second partitiopn) and change the
spool directory to this in Printers folder, File Server Properties,
Advanced.

If you only have one partition just confirm that Everyone has write access
to c:\windows\system32\spool\printers.

--

> Yes, someone please help. I am still having this problem. Cannot print
from
> limited account unless I first sign on to Administrator account. After
> signing on to administrator account (I don't have to print anything) I can
> then log off administrator account and log on to limited account and can
then
> print anything while on the limited account. If boot up and log on to
> limited account first cannot print anything. Print jobs just pile up in
the
> print cue. I must then log on to administrator account, cancel all print
> jobs (which takes a while), before I can print anything, from either
> administrator or limited account.
>
> Thanks!
>

> "HDBob" wrote:
>
> > Could Alan or someone suggest a location for the spool folders where
users
> > would have write access so that they could print? Tnx
> >
> > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
> >
> > > My mistake, when you mentioned the printer status window, I was under
the
> > > impression this was some monitoring software. I think you are just
opening
> > > the spooler queue view, correct?
> > >
> > > There are a couple anti virus packages that will interfere with user
> > > accounts printing. I have also seen this failure when the
> > > \windows\system32\spool\printers directory does not allow users write
> > > access. If you have Professional you can change security restrictions
on
> > > this directory (I think you will need to turn off simple file sharing
in
> > > Folder Options / View . If you are using Home version you can change
the
> > > spool folders to a location where users have write access (Printers
Folder ,
> > > File, Server Properties, Advanced)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Alan Morris
> > > Windows Printing Team
> > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

rights.

> > > "mtwagn" <mtwagn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > account
> > > account
> > > the
> > > moniotring
Dell

> > > an

> > > rights.

> > > test
> > > but
> > > limited
> > > account

February 8, 2013 11:45:17 AM

Quote:

Initial log-on using limited account cannot print anything, including test
page. When I open print status window all requested docs are listed but none
print. When I log on to administrators account, printer works fine. Initial
boot up to administrator account, printer works fine. Switch to limited
account after initial boot to administrators account and limited account
prints everything. I'm stumped.

I just had the same problem. I had forgotten to change my default printer in my limited user account. It was still printing to a non-existent printer.
!