limited account cannot print

Initial log-on using limited account cannot print anything, including test
page. When I open print status window all requested docs are listed but none
print. When I log on to administrators account, printer works fine. Initial
boot up to administrator account, printer works fine. Switch to limited
account after initial boot to administrators account and limited account
prints everything. I'm stumped.
8 answers Last reply
More about limited account print

    this sounds like the monitoring software requires an initialization from an
    administrator account. Who wrote the software?

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "mtwagn" <mtwagn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Initial log-on using limited account cannot print anything, including test
    > page. When I open print status window all requested docs are listed but
    none
    > print. When I log on to administrators account, printer works fine.
    Initial
    > boot up to administrator account, printer works fine. Switch to limited
    > account after initial boot to administrators account and limited account
    > prints everything. I'm stumped.

    Thank you for responding to my problem. I do not understand what you are
    talking about. What monitoring software? When booting up to limited account
    no software will print anything, including going to printer properties and
    trying to print a test page. As soon as I log on to an adminstrator account
    printer works fine and it even will work if I log off the administrator
    account and then on to the limited account. Is the monitoring software the
    printer driver? And, how does one go about initialization of the moniotring
    software from an administrator account. I am using a 2 month old Dell
    Desktop running Windows XP Professional and a Canon ImageClass D680
    Multi-Function Printer, Copier, Scanner.

    Thanks again.

    "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

    > this sounds like the monitoring software requires an initialization from an
    > administrator account. Who wrote the software?
    >
    > --
    > Alan Morris
    > Windows Printing Team

    > "mtwagn" <mtwagn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Initial log-on using limited account cannot print anything, including test
    > > page. When I open print status window all requested docs are listed but
    > none
    > > print. When I log on to administrators account, printer works fine.
    > Initial
    > > boot up to administrator account, printer works fine. Switch to limited
    > > account after initial boot to administrators account and limited account
    > > prints everything. I'm stumped.

    My mistake, when you mentioned the printer status window, I was under the
    impression this was some monitoring software. I think you are just opening
    the spooler queue view, correct?

    There are a couple anti virus packages that will interfere with user
    accounts printing. I have also seen this failure when the
    \windows\system32\spool\printers directory does not allow users write
    access. If you have Professional you can change security restrictions on
    this directory (I think you will need to turn off simple file sharing in
    Folder Options / View . If you are using Home version you can change the
    spool folders to a location where users have write access (Printers Folder ,
    File, Server Properties, Advanced)

    --

    > Thank you for responding to my problem. I do not understand what you are
    > talking about. What monitoring software? When booting up to limited
    account
    > no software will print anything, including going to printer properties and
    > trying to print a test page. As soon as I log on to an adminstrator
    account
    > printer works fine and it even will work if I log off the administrator
    > account and then on to the limited account. Is the monitoring software
    the
    > printer driver? And, how does one go about initialization of the
    moniotring
    > software from an administrator account. I am using a 2 month old Dell
    > Desktop running Windows XP Professional and a Canon ImageClass D680
    > Multi-Function Printer, Copier, Scanner.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
    >
    > > this sounds like the monitoring software requires an initialization from
    an
    > > administrator account. Who wrote the software?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Alan Morris
    > > Windows Printing Team
    > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

    rights.

    > > "mtwagn" <mtwagn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Initial log-on using limited account cannot print anything, including
    test
    > > > page. When I open print status window all requested docs are listed
    but
    > > none
    > > > print. When I log on to administrators account, printer works fine.
    > > Initial
    > > > boot up to administrator account, printer works fine. Switch to
    limited
    > > > account after initial boot to administrators account and limited
    account
    > > > prints everything. I'm stumped.

    Could Alan or someone suggest a location for the spool folders where users
    would have write access so that they could print? Tnx

    "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

    > My mistake, when you mentioned the printer status window, I was under the
    > impression this was some monitoring software. I think you are just opening
    > the spooler queue view, correct?
    >
    > There are a couple anti virus packages that will interfere with user
    > accounts printing. I have also seen this failure when the
    > \windows\system32\spool\printers directory does not allow users write
    > access. If you have Professional you can change security restrictions on
    > this directory (I think you will need to turn off simple file sharing in
    > Folder Options / View . If you are using Home version you can change the
    > spool folders to a location where users have write access (Printers Folder ,
    > File, Server Properties, Advanced)
    >
    > --
    > Alan Morris
    > Windows Printing Team

    > "mtwagn" <mtwagn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank you for responding to my problem. I do not understand what you are
    > > talking about. What monitoring software? When booting up to limited
    > account
    > > no software will print anything, including going to printer properties and
    > > trying to print a test page. As soon as I log on to an adminstrator
    > account
    > > printer works fine and it even will work if I log off the administrator
    > > account and then on to the limited account. Is the monitoring software
    > the
    > > printer driver? And, how does one go about initialization of the
    > moniotring
    > > software from an administrator account. I am using a 2 month old Dell
    > > Desktop running Windows XP Professional and a Canon ImageClass D680
    > > Multi-Function Printer, Copier, Scanner.
    > >
    > > Thanks again.
    > >
    > > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
    > >
    > > > this sounds like the monitoring software requires an initialization from
    > an
    > > > administrator account. Who wrote the software?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Alan Morris
    > > > Windows Printing Team
    > > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

    > rights.
    > > >
    > > > "mtwagn" <mtwagn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > test
    > but
    > > > none
    > > > Initial
    > limited
    > account

    Yes, someone please help. I am still having this problem. Cannot print from
    limited account unless I first sign on to Administrator account. After
    signing on to administrator account (I don't have to print anything) I can
    then log off administrator account and log on to limited account and can then
    print anything while on the limited account. If boot up and log on to
    limited account first cannot print anything. Print jobs just pile up in the
    print cue. I must then log on to administrator account, cancel all print
    jobs (which takes a while), before I can print anything, from either
    administrator or limited account.

    Thanks!

    In <AD18EE36-92A2-41BE-8B1B-C8EC8032A279@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?bXR3YWdu?= <mtwagn@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:
    >Yes, someone please help. I am still having this problem. Cannot print from
    >limited account unless I first sign on to Administrator account. After
    >signing on to administrator account (I don't have to print anything) I can
    >then log off administrator account and log on to limited account and can then
    >print anything while on the limited account. If boot up and log on to
    >limited account first cannot print anything. Print jobs just pile up in the
    >print cue. I must then log on to administrator account, cancel all print
    >jobs (which takes a while), before I can print anything, from either
    >administrator or limited account.

    Try this and tell us what happens.

    Double click on c:\windows\help\printing.chm
    Contents tab
    Network printers
    Managing permissions
    Read about it.

    What driver is this? Also XP SP2?

    I usually place my spool directory on another drive than my OS. If the OS
    is on c:\windows, I create d:\spool (on a second partitiopn) and change the
    spool directory to this in Printers folder, File Server Properties,
    Advanced.

    If you only have one partition just confirm that Everyone has write access
    to c:\windows\system32\spool\printers.

    --

    > Yes, someone please help. I am still having this problem. Cannot print
    from
    > limited account unless I first sign on to Administrator account. After
    > signing on to administrator account (I don't have to print anything) I can
    > then log off administrator account and log on to limited account and can
    then
    > print anything while on the limited account. If boot up and log on to
    > limited account first cannot print anything. Print jobs just pile up in
    the
    > print cue. I must then log on to administrator account, cancel all print
    > jobs (which takes a while), before I can print anything, from either
    > administrator or limited account.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > "HDBob" wrote:
    >
    > > Could Alan or someone suggest a location for the spool folders where
    users
    > > would have write access so that they could print? Tnx
    > >
    > > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
    > >
    > > > My mistake, when you mentioned the printer status window, I was under
    the
    > > > impression this was some monitoring software. I think you are just
    opening
    > > > the spooler queue view, correct?
    > > >
    > > > There are a couple anti virus packages that will interfere with user
    > > > accounts printing. I have also seen this failure when the
    > > > \windows\system32\spool\printers directory does not allow users write
    > > > access. If you have Professional you can change security restrictions
    on
    > > > this directory (I think you will need to turn off simple file sharing
    in
    > > > Folder Options / View . If you are using Home version you can change
    the
    > > > spool folders to a location where users have write access (Printers
    Folder ,
    > > > File, Server Properties, Advanced)
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Alan Morris
    > > > Windows Printing Team
    > > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

    rights.

    > > > "mtwagn" <mtwagn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > account
    > > > account
    > > > the
    > > > moniotring
    Dell

    > > > an

    > > > rights.

    > > > test
    > > > but
    > > > limited
    > > > account

  8. Quote:

    Initial log-on using limited account cannot print anything, including test
    page. When I open print status window all requested docs are listed but none
    print. When I log on to administrators account, printer works fine. Initial
    boot up to administrator account, printer works fine. Switch to limited
    account after initial boot to administrators account and limited account
    prints everything. I'm stumped.

    I just had the same problem. I had forgotten to change my default printer in my limited user account. It was still printing to a non-existent printer.

Boot Microsoft Printers Windows XP