CS:GO PC vs Ps3??

inakie

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Okay so I recently bought a non-gaming laptop for college.
The specs are as follows:
14" 1360 X768 display
intel i5 3210m 2.5GHz up to 3.1GHz with turbo boost
intel hd 4000
750gb hard drive
6gb Ram (can upgrade to 8 if necessary)
windows 7

Now I was just wondering if its worth it to buy counter strike global offensive on steam to be able to play it at home as well as in college?
Or should I just go ahead and purchase it on the PS3 network due to my laptops hardware not being able to play the game comfortably.

Laptop pros: (mobility!)

Console pros: (bigger screen, better hardware)

So what do you guys think?? thank you in advanced

P.S. not building a desktop or buying another laptop, I am a college student on a budget.
This laptop was super cheap! after taxes it ws only 500 bucks!

playing counterstrike on a console sucks. HD 4000 should be more than powerful enough to drive CS: GO at 1920x1080 resolution, while PS3 will struggle with 720p. So yea, PS3 hardware is not superior. You can also always connect your laptop to bigger screen if you want to. There, there aren't any PS3 advantages left. Plus, it doesn't have a mouse. :).

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

Apparently you can use Keyboard and mouse on the PS3 version. I almost considered buying it on PS3 and using a keyboard and mouse for the sole purpose of owning everyone else that is using a controller.

That being said, the lower frame rate and resolution will of course make the game less desirable. So I would say PC version for sure.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Usually FPS api's are tweaked for consoles to allow for a low-level auto-aim mechanic and broader hitboxes to compensate for the inherent lack of precision in twin stick aiming vs. mouse and keyboard. That said, I have a hard time believing that you can use an actual PC-normal mouse/kb with the PS3 version. Maybe you can use that mouse mini KB kit that they have, but that mouse is no where near as precise as a computer mouse in practice.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

"For those who want to play on PlayStation 3 but don’t want to deal with the imprecision of analog sticks, Counter-Strike: GO supports mouse and keyboard, giving it a pretty noticeable edge over the Xbox 360 version."

Taken from the IGN review of the game, found here:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/28/counter-strike-global-offensive-review

OP: Yes, you NEED a mouse. I can't even imagine trying to play a fps with a laptop touchpad. It might work alright for slower paced games, but for FPS's a mouse is a must.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Right, but does it support any mouse and keyboard or the Sony mouse and keyboard (which are completely underpar for something like Counterstrike). And if you were to stipulate that it does in fact support any mouse and keyboard, does the api have an auto-aim function? And if it does (as most console FPS do), is it in some way disabled if you do use a mouse and keyboard? If not, doesn't it make the game overly forgiving to people using a mouse and keyboard and undermine some of what made Counterstrike great to begin with?

So you see, saying that it uses a mouse and keyboard is interesting but there is a lot more to know about the subject, which is what I want to know.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I guess I didn't think of that, but if I had to guess it would be any mouse and keyboard, as the PS3 does support them for web browsing normally, I've used multiple ones for that purpose. I think if it was specifically the Sony one it would have been mentioned in IGN's review or other articles on the matter.

You got a good point with the rest of the stuff you mentioned though. I guess I would be curious as to what the answer to those questions are as well.

Either way, PC is the best platform for the game, and I hope that OP enjoys it.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
So let me get this straight, if I buy the PS3 version, I will also own the PC version, for no additional cost?

If so, I might actually consider buying this game...

OP: Sorry about this thread getting so derailed :(