Bf3 stutter\spikes

Avinoam73

Distinguished
May 1, 2012
hi guys,
i have a problem:
see, recently i upgraded my cpu to FX-4100 because i had GPU (6850 1GB) bottleneck on my old one.tis cpu have some good reviews and is supposed to run bf3 like on a bike.
it doesn't.
well sure, my CPU is no more bottlenecking my GPU (great FPS on ultra\high)
it still suffers from major stutter.
maybe i'm wrong, maybe it's not it, but it still very annoying.
one thing I noticed though, is that it's not consistent.
let me explain:
one game, works great, no stutter no nothing, and high FPS.
and the other: high FPS yet stutters at any quality, and there's nothing i can do against it.
for example:
today i was getting about 45-61 FPS on firestorm, then, map rotates to kharg, and i get stutter.
it's on every map, sometimes it does happen sometime it doesn't. so basically, what i'm asking you is... how do i stop it? according to it's monstrous specification the FX-4100 should have NO problem what so ever.
anyway, time for my specs:
FX-4100
6850 1GB
4GB ram
550 PSU
win. 7 64 bit ultimate.
i know i'v posted a thread like this before, but i stull did'nt got my answer (was very unclear last time)
please help! i'm confused and frustrated! :cry:

Solution
You overclock all FX processors in the same way. First download Intel Burn test and CPUID HWMonitor. Then look for settings in your bios (press Del or F2 during start up). The simplest thing to do is first disable cool & quiet and any turbo settings. Then there are only really 2 settings you want to adjust and thats CPU voltage and CPU multiplier. 1st try setting the CPU votage to 1.4 and the multiplier to 20 for 4GHz then open HWmonitor and run Intel burn test on the most extreme settings for 10 cycles watching your CPU temperatures and stopping IBT if any of the CPU temps get over 60C. If it passes fine increase the multiplier by 1 and repeat, if its OK increase the multiplier by 1 and repeat. If the temps hit 60c you need to...

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
While the FX-4100 SHOULD run bf3 fine in theory, for some reason it doesnt. At least thats what I have heard on these forums (so i could be completely wrong about that), lots of people have problems in bf3 with FX series. I do not know why bc I have never had an AMD cpu but.. This problem could be from lots of things.
Are there alot of people on the map when you get stutter?
What graphics drivers are you on?
Is there any way you can verify that is for sure a CPU problem?
Could it be a RAM problem possibly? 4gb should be enough but 8gb is the current gaming standard i would say (eventhough its not really necessary no games use that much) but i have seen bf3 use upwards of 3 gigs of RAM on my rig

Also can you clarify exactly what you mean by stutter? (it could mean random frame rate drops to 20s, internet lag, microstutter...)

Avinoam73

Distinguished
May 1, 2012
well that's the point! i get this wierd stutter sometimes as i said before and i don't know what it could be. it LOOKS like a cpu stutter, but it could be anything.
to your question: i usseally play in servers with about 48-64 people (i just LOVE that 64 madness!) but i didn't really paid much attention to the number of players when the stutter appears.
my graphic drivers are the latest BETA drivers (for some reason, the new one, the 12.8, doesn't install corectly so i just use the 12.7 beta).
and for last, i know that ther is a comand that shows that shoa the CPU usagee(?) wich shows when and if cpu spikes apears. if anyone knows that command, i could use it.
as for the ram, i know that 8GB is the standarrt for gaming pc's, but i just don't want to spend more money on my machine. it sopppused to answer the recomended requirments for the game, but i choose this CPU and GPU 'cuz I thought they would perform perfectly toghether. they should, i just don't know why the don't -_- .
as for explaining what stutter is, well, it's pretty much micro freezing. the game freezez for a second or half a second and then gets back to normall. it happens every few seconds, and it's really anoying. i DID noticed that the fps drop fast to about 1-20 FPS, and then just go back up to 50-60.
sorry for the long reply and for bad english, i just want to be sure you understand it completly. ;)

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012

Well the whole problem might be that 12.8 is not installing correctly, which could mean something is damaged or conflicting in your current drivers (and 12.7b was fairly buggy for me). You might want to try to uninstall all drivers completely and then run driversweeper or manually check the files and registries for any AMD entries (there are tutorials for manual driver uninstallation on google).
As for that console command, here it is:
render.perfoverlayvisible 1

Avinoam73

Distinguished
May 1, 2012
ok so i did what you told me to and i still get stutter, but now it's only after i minimize.
i used the command and this stutter does occurs from CPU spikes, but why?

the fx-4100 has some great specs, i mean, 3.6ghz? 8MB cache? i'd say more, but i'm sure you guys know about it... anyway, any ideas? i used to have pentium doul-core and got some serious stutter, i thought this CPU should handle it well! please help! and thanks for the tips! :(

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012

Don't get me wrong I still think you should be running this game just fine on your rig, but at the same time the FX-4100 is just not as good as you think (I mean c'mon it's only 100$ for a quad core?...). And it seems to have some serious problems with bf3 especially from what I have read. Have you tried overclocking to see if that changes anything?

Also repair bf3 game install thru origin?

I think BF3 is the one game that really demands an i5 for the large multiplayer maps and as stated your CPU is not that great for gaming just look at this:
Averages.png

Unless your CPU is overheating then it is basically the problem, my advice get a decent cooler for it and overclock it as far as you can its the only way to get good value from FX series CPUs.

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
^^ Did not realize the FX was that bad, a Pentium G630 beats it...wow. Anyway I have a G860 on a small rig that cannot even keep a 550 Ti at 70% GPU usage in bf3, especially not on the big maps, so if the FX is worse than a G860... well you get what I mean.

Also might add my main rig I have an i7 Ivy @ 4.5GHz that cannot even keep both my 7970s pegged at full usage. On b2k maps gpu usage will drop to 80s occasionally. Despite what people say I find bf3 to be an extremely CPU intensive game looking out across the 64 player big maps.

Avinoam73

Distinguished
May 1, 2012
no! are you kidding me?! I just spend about 300$ for that CPU and a new motherboard so i could run this game good. i'm not gonna buy new motherboard AGAIN just so i could have a an I5 which is "better".
I"m sorry, but there is no way that a Pentium beets a four core CPU with 3.6Ghz and 8MB cache! and i now, 'cause I HAD ONE!
this CPU supposed to be SO good, it can run bf3 twice at a time, and i'm not gonna spend another 400$ just 'cause no one explains why.
I am NOT gonna spend more money on my rig, not a single coin. I'm sorry to be aggressive but this is making me furious! as for overclocking, again: i'm not gonna buy a new cooler, if there is any other way i can overclock this without buying a cooler, be my guest!
so again, any way i can fix this problem WITHOUT spending more 400$?
how about turning cool'n'quit off?
or disabling hyper threading?

Avinoam73

Distinguished
May 1, 2012
i look for info on overclocking and found this site:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1766/16/
it says here that i can OC to 4.6 with turbo core disabled and still stay with the factory cooler. but it also said some other thing i don't quit understand, so can someone explain? i also got the black edition if you are familiar. thx for the quick replies guys.....

You can overclock on the stock cooler but you will be limited by your temperature well before you reach your maximum overclock so keep a close eye on it. If you overclock then disable cool and quiet but there is no benefit if you don't. You don't have hyper threading so you can't disable it. Look in the overclocking section of this forum for advice on overclocking.

Avinoam73

Distinguished
May 1, 2012

thanks. i will overclock it to 4.6 with the stock cool. 4.6 does increase the performance, right?

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
4.6 would be pushing it temperature wise I would think but only one way to find out.
As for performance I OC my i7 to 4.7GHz and saw about a 7-5fps minimum fps increase and about 10fps average increase. But it's different for every CPU, again only one way to find out.

Avinoam73

Distinguished
May 1, 2012

it's for an FX-8150 and i'v got an FX-4100..
besides, as for a dumb nooblet like me i don't understand most of it. can anyone explain or give me a simple guide? thanks again for the help! :p

You overclock all FX processors in the same way. First download Intel Burn test and CPUID HWMonitor. Then look for settings in your bios (press Del or F2 during start up). The simplest thing to do is first disable cool & quiet and any turbo settings. Then there are only really 2 settings you want to adjust and thats CPU voltage and CPU multiplier. 1st try setting the CPU votage to 1.4 and the multiplier to 20 for 4GHz then open HWmonitor and run Intel burn test on the most extreme settings for 10 cycles watching your CPU temperatures and stopping IBT if any of the CPU temps get over 60C. If it passes fine increase the multiplier by 1 and repeat, if its OK increase the multiplier by 1 and repeat. If the temps hit 60c you need to lower the CPU voltage and multiplier to the last working one, if IBT fails but the temps are fine increase the voltage by 0.1V and keep testing this until you find the max you can overclock, when you get to that run IBT for 1 hour+ to check 100% stability. Thats about the simplest way to do it and if you have any problems post in the overclocking part of the forum.

Solution

Avinoam73

Distinguished
May 1, 2012

that is the best and most simple guide i've ever seen. thank you my friend! :D

gamerkila57

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
i just want to add i play BF3 64mp with vehicles all the time for hours and it never not once stuttered or lagged so overclocking should help you

Edit: who wants to play

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/servers/show/584b851e-8230-4464-916b-ed41ad357945/DarkSoldiers-battleground-HC-come-get-some/

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012

Is that your own server?? I'll add it to my favs