xp 2100+ hsf?

Stormfury

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2002
I was wondering what is a good/quiet hsf for not overclocking the xp 2100 and one that is well FOR overclocking one. Thanks.

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
For overclocking maybe a volcano 7+. I don't know if the swiftech 462 works better, probably does. A good quiet one not for overclocking would be a large fan with a rheostat to reduce voltage (this allows the fan to run at a slower speed and make less noise) or a Papst cooling solution. Papst are always really quiet. Next in line might be a Zalman but these don't have very good heat dissipated per decibel ratios. The new TMD fans from YS tech look interesting. There was a link on another post:

<A HREF="http://www.openlinx.net/cgi-bin-openlinx/PerlShop.cgi?ACTION=ENTER&thispage=page16YS.htm&ORDER_ID=!ORDERID!" target="_new">http://www.openlinx.net/cgi-bin-openlinx/PerlShop.cgi?ACTION=ENTER&thispage=page16YS.htm&ORDER_ID=!ORDERID!</A>

But this one looks like it might be for the Pentium 4 only. The Volcano 7+ has 3 modes. At the quietest setting it is like 26 decibels, but not that good at cooling. The medium setting around 35 decibels. High is 48db of course.

G

That PAL8045 unit looks as good as any I have seen for cooling , but you have to bolt it on (for me that seems like a benefit). I would probably want to pick a fan/duct setup of my own though.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
the swiftech 462 is the big daddy of heat sinks. the volcano is maybe above average. the swiftech 370 is a very good performer also, even uses the mobo clips.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

G

Actually if I'm not mistaken, the manufacturer claims a slightly better thermal resistance rating for the PAL8045. That would give it the right to the "Big Daddy" title as far as commercially available models are concerned.

I suppose one might be able to fashion something even more exotic/effective if they had equipment and expertise.

G

I don't know how well it will work, but I think it is the best bet for an aircooled solution you can buy at this time.

GearJammer2513

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
What makes you say that? I have a Volcano 7 running on my XP1500+@1680MHz. Idles around 29C and 47C under full load (Seti@Home). The difference between the 7 and 7+ is the 7+ only has 3 speeds where as the 7's speed is determined by the tempature of the CPU. The only modification that needs to be done is pull the fan off and tuck the thermal sensor down into the HS instead of letting it hang out next to it.

Volcano 7 is a very good HS in my opinion. I don't have to worry about remembering to set it on Low/Med/High when using my computer.

GearJammer

qlm tera'ngan!
(Translated from Klingon: Attention Earther!)

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
I thought it had a better heatsink, I guess I'm wrong. I also assumed it was better because it's $20 more expensive (stupid reason to assume that). Your temps are very good so maybe that $20 difference is a benefit.

Censorship makes us so much more creative.

drache

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2002
I work for a thermal magaement company, Ajigo. I am looking through these discussions to find out what end-users think about the available coolers on the market.

I gave away a few samples of our standard model (MF014), which was tested and approved by AMD (highest performance that meets their requirements) on another site. I wanted some feedback from actual users.

I have requested three more samples to give away. Depending on your location (N. America), Stormfury, I can send you a sample. Let me know at info@ajigo.com.

TRENDING THREADS