VOLCANO 7+ with 3 hook clip?

vidar

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2002
on thermaltake's web site there is instructions on how to mount the volcano 7+ with a 3 hook clip, instead of the 1 hook clip all the reviewers are complaining about, does the 3 hook clip come with the package or do you have to get it seperatly? (if so, who sells them?)

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Everything comes in the package, 3 hook and 1 hook as well. The 3 hook clips are for Pentium 4's only, as they have a much better mounting system than the Athlon XP when it comes to gigantic, heavyweight pure copper heatsinks. You can only use a single (read: 1!) 1-hook clip to mount it when using the athlon. It holds, I've used it. But it kind of makes the heatsink tilt downward due to gravity when your mid-tower case is standing up because it's only one clip after all. It's a tight clip and it certainly will work but when moving the computer it's very highly likely it could get bent or lose its shape and the heavy heatsink could fall out. So use caution with it. I've never read reviews on it, but I agree, shame on TT for that, or perhaps shame on AMD, your choice.

Censorship makes us so much more creative.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I just installed the Volcano7+ on my T-birdy 1.2ghz. I am now running it at 1.47ghz (fsb-147) and my cpu temperture believe it or not is 32c with a cpu voltage of 1.91v :smile: . My system temperture is 28c. This cooler is just plain badass, makes my Alpha 6035 with 7200RPM Delta fan look like a toy when it comes to cooling. Not only that it is much more quieter. My Alpha would be running around 50c in this condition that is if my computer would even boot up, this cooler is purring at 32c. Full load it just barely goes up. Yes I agree, this is one heavy mofo, more like a lead brick then a heatsink.

Interestedly when I first install Heatsink/Fan my cpu temperature went up to 40c plus and I couldn't overclock over 1.26ghz, so I opened up case and rotated heatsink on the cpu back and forth serveral times and it worked. Obviously I wasn't fully seated or I had to much Artic SilverII. In any case my computer has never been so fast or quiet.

Main reason I picked this baby up is that when I upgrade I have a choice of going to a P4 or Athlon XP, I just havn't decided yet.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 06/09/02 09:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

GearJammer2513

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
Go with the fastest XP you can afford. All you have to do is decide which mobo you want to pop it in! XP's can be o/c'd through multiplier and FSB. P4's only allow o/c'ing with FSB (unless someone figured out how to unlock the bastards)!

GearJammer

qlm tera'ngan!
(Translated from Klingon: Attention Earther!)