Sign in with
Your question

Low Framerate on WoW

Last response: in Video Games
August 30, 2012 8:47:42 PM

Hey guys I've been experiencing bad framerates while playing Wow. Less than 20 FPS. This is on ultra settings. I just built my computer fairly recently, so needless to say I'm a little disappointed. I'd like to know the reason behind my bad framerate. Whether my hardware just isn't powerful enough or maybe something else like core tempuratures. I've included both. Your help is greatly appreciated!

My Rig:

My temps:

More about : low framerate wow

a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 30, 2012 9:20:45 PM

Disable all the addons. It's either them, or something is running in the background. There's no way World of warcraft would use up 65% of i5-2500k...
August 30, 2012 10:04:57 PM

I disabled all of my addons, and only had chrome and skype running in the background. No difference :( 
Related resources
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 30, 2012 10:10:36 PM

Mind posting screenshot of task manager processes tab when it's sorted by user name and "show processes from all users" option is selected?
August 30, 2012 10:12:58 PM

Hi :) 

The cheap graphics card doesnt help....

All the best Brett :) 
August 30, 2012 11:44:24 PM

Brett928S2 said:

The cheap graphics card doesnt help....

Seriously? Cheap graphics card? A 6870 is capable of running almost any game today on high settings, let alone WoW, who's graphics are years old. I honestly cannot believe that this was your response to OP. Why you would even take the time to post this is beyond me.

OP - make sure you have shadows turned down to high or good, as they are poorly coded into the game and will cripple even the best systems. Where in the game are you experiencing the slow downs? In capital cities, raids, battlegrounds?

Temperatures are well within safe limits, nothing to worry about there. I agree with Sunius, something is definitely using up that 2500k, because WoW shouldn't use that much alone, unless you've got a bad add-on, which could be the case but not for certain. Try to do what Sunius said, and take a screen capture of the task manager.
August 31, 2012 12:08:44 AM

trogdor796 said:
Seriously? Cheap graphics card? A 6870 is capable of running almost any game today on high settings, let alone WoW, who's graphics are years old. I honestly cannot believe that this was your response to OP. Why you would even take the time to post this is beyond me.

OP - make sure you have shadows turned down to high or good, as they are poorly coded into the game and will cripple even the best systems. Where in the game are you experiencing the slow downs? In capital cities, raids, battlegrounds?

Temperatures are well within safe limits, nothing to worry about there. I agree with Sunius, something is definitely using up that 2500k, because WoW shouldn't use that much alone, unless you've got a bad add-on, which could be the case but not for certain. Try to do what Sunius said, and take a screen capture of the task manager.

Yes cheap... my shops sell those cards for just under £100 ...we also sell cards at £950...

So Imho, its a cheap, low end card...

August 31, 2012 1:52:38 AM

Well, compared to recent cards, the 6870 is cheap by definition, so Brett is not wrong in calling it "Cheap".

I think it should handle WoW though.
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 31, 2012 1:09:22 PM

It should handle WoW without any problems.

@Brett:

Sorry, but your response couldn't be more useless...
August 31, 2012 5:12:13 PM

Sunius said:
It should handle WoW without any problems.

@Brett:

Sorry, but your response couldn't be more useless...

The ONLY opinion that matters is the OP`s...

August 31, 2012 7:07:19 PM

Sunius said:
Mind posting screenshot of task manager processes tab when it's sorted by user name and "show processes from all users" option is selected?

Thank you for your response! My screenshots are below like you asked. They are split into two screenshots. Please let me know what you see when you look at them, as I can't really make heads or tails of anything. Thanks again!

August 31, 2012 7:17:19 PM

Brett928S2 said:

The ONLY opinion that matters is the OP`s...

I'm sure that my graphics card may be "cheap" in certain comparisons, and you are entitled to that opinion. However, I do agree that you are adding no beneficial content to the thread, nor are you helping me solve the problem I have defined. Asserting your opinion by calling one of my components cheap, has done nothing but derail the thread.

Cheers.
August 31, 2012 7:21:59 PM

dmac18 said:
I'm sure that my graphics card may be "cheap" in certain comparisons, and you are entitled to that opinion. However, I do agree that you are adding no beneficial content to the thread, nor are you helping me solve the problem I have defined. Asserting your opinion by calling one of my components cheap, has done nothing but derail the thread.

Cheers.

That component IS cheap...

Its in the bottom 10% of the graphics cards I sell in my shops...

On a site like this you get all sorts of opinions....

You dont like them...dont ask...

a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 31, 2012 7:22:27 PM

That doesn't add up. You have many unnecessary programs running in the background, but they don't seem to use CPU at all.

Did you plug your monitor to the motherboard or the graphics card?
August 31, 2012 7:36:54 PM

Sunius said:
That doesn't add up. You have many unnecessary programs running in the background, but they don't seem to use CPU at all.

Did you plug your monitor to the motherboard or the graphics card?

My monitor is plugged into the graphics card. What unnecessary programs am i running? And how can i get rid of them?

Thanks so much for your help.
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 31, 2012 7:53:49 PM

Well, all those processes that start with "tos" are pretty much unnecessary. You can prevent them in being in start up list by configuring it at msconfig (just enter that in start menu).
!