Broadband/IR phones?

Last response: in Network Providers
March 26, 2005 1:56:39 PM

I am new to the cell phone world, and I heard that Verizon is the best
service in my area. So, do I have to get my phone from Verizon? Or can
I get Verizon line service, and buy a phone separately?

I was surprised that the phones on verizonwireless.com all don't have
Bluetooth or IR. I thought at least IR is essential so that two phones
can communicate. If I get to know someone and I want his/her cell phone
number, I want that it is automatically transferred from his/her cell
phone to mine. Do I need IR for this?
I also want a calendar functionality and synchronize the data to my
laptop. What do I need for that?

Are there other trustworthy websites than verizononline.com?

Sorry for the stupid newbie questions!
Thanks!
Markus

More about : broadband phones

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 6:10:53 PM

One of the only phones that will meet all your criteria is the Treo 600 from
Verizon. This is a combo cell phone and Palm-based PDA. It will allow
beaming of vCards, has an IR port, full sychro with Outlook from your PC or
MAC, will send and recieve email and SMS, and is avialable now for about
$250 with new signup. An even better phone is the Treo 650 which adds
Bluetooth and better intergration, but it is only available from Cingular
and Sprint. However, HowardsForum has people who will convert a 650 to work
with Verizon for a very small fee. I have the Treo 600 but will upgrade
when the treo 650 or the newest 670 is offered later this year.

Uncle Dannie

"Markus Dehmann" <markus.dehmann@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am new to the cell phone world, and I heard that Verizon is the best
> service in my area. So, do I have to get my phone from Verizon? Or can
> I get Verizon line service, and buy a phone separately?
>
> I was surprised that the phones on verizonwireless.com all don't have
> Bluetooth or IR. I thought at least IR is essential so that two phones
> can communicate. If I get to know someone and I want his/her cell phone
> number, I want that it is automatically transferred from his/her cell
> phone to mine. Do I need IR for this?
> I also want a calendar functionality and synchronize the data to my
> laptop. What do I need for that?
>
> Are there other trustworthy websites than verizononline.com?
>
> Sorry for the stupid newbie questions!
> Thanks!
> Markus

March 26, 2005 10:29:53 PM

Markus Dehmann <markus.dehmann@gmail.com> wrote:
: I am new to the cell phone world, and I heard that Verizon is the best
: service in my area. So, do I have to get my phone from Verizon? Or can
: I get Verizon line service, and buy a phone separately?

Two problems. One, all cellphones are not interchangeable, like VHS and
Beta. Verizon uses CDMA technology. Sprint uses CDMA also, so you in
som cases could activate an unlocked Sprint phone on Verizon, but
often times phones are "locked" to a particular provider. Sometimes
there are exceptions.

Cingular uses GSM and TDMA - totally incompatible with CDMA, so you
can't use them on Verizon even if they are unlocked. Same with
T-Mobile (GSM). So you can't use a cool Nokia GSM phone for Cingular
on Verizon's network.

2nd Problem: cost. Cell phones are actually not cheap to buy.
Carriers subsidize phones to get you to sign a contract with them, so
you get a free or cheap phone. In almost every case, that means
you'll want to buy the phone from Verizon or otherwise pay hundreds of
dollars for your own phone. Even then, you might not find a
compatible phone with Bluetooth or IR - I think Verizon simply has not
embraced that technology yet. (I've heard one or two phones may have
it, but I think pickins' are slim compared to other carriers.)

Here's a thought: how important is it to have absolutely the best
cell service? Usually the major carriers offer a 15 or 30-day free
trial period. Try getting a phone from Cingular or T-Mobile and see
how well their service works where you live and work. (I don't think
Sprint has free activiation with their free trial.) If it works
fine and you can get your choice of Bluetooth/IR phone, be happy.

: Are there other trustworthy websites than verizononline.com?

Try HowardForums.com for lots of great cell phone info for all
carriers.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----